Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just updated OTA this evening.

So far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭pah

Flashed manually. Really liking it so far. It seems way smoother than lollipop.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Just updated OTA this evening.

So far so good :)

still not getting the ota here in cork... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jesseps

i am still waiting. It might be a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Just got the OTA update there so I can't imagine the rest of you will be long waiting if you haven't gotten it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Got mine OTA yesterday. Running away grand, a few minor improvements under the hood but no noticeable improvement in the battery.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Just got the OTA update there so I can't imagine the rest of you will be long waiting if you haven't gotten it yet.

where in ireland are you? maybe its even different from region to region within ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Got mine yesterday as well, as did my missus. We are in Dublin to answer the previous post, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

murfilein wrote: »
    where in ireland are you? maybe its even different from region to region within ireland.

As far as I understand it is done based on IMEI numbers so location have nothing to do with it really.

5starpool wrote: »
    Got mine yesterday as well, as did my missus. We are in Dublin to answer the previous post, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.
    Bored_lad wrote: »
    As far as I understand it is done based on IMEI numbers so location have nothing to do with it really.

just read an old AMA on reddit with some google engineers where they explained the rollout-process.

basically, when the rollout starts, there is a set chance of you getting the update. so in the beginning, devices have a 1% chance of getting the OTA in a day. once you tried and wasnt lucky, you're done for the day (or until they change the chances). the next day you have again a 1% chance of receiving it. after a couple days they change the chance to 5 or 10% or so. then to 20, 50, and eventually 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Marshmallow ftw :D

abnVRGI.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

I've never seen such a battery life graph

youngblood wrote: »
    I've never seen such a battery life graph

i have, but its very jumpy. you do launch an app, and it will go down to 12 hours or so very quickly.. at least it was like that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Good to know the OTA update is coming soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

I gave up waiting for OTA and installed it myself this morning. Surprised how easy it was in the end but I am yet to find a guide for the complete noob. Might do one myself if I have the time.

I like the app permissions and the volume control - you can press the volume button and then select which volume you want to change - phone, media or alarm.

Can't say I've noticed much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

What's the story with Marshmallow?

Can see very few, minuscule, inconsequential differences in fairness?

- Jury is out as of yet on this power saving leap... Already reports of disappointing results in real life testing.

Also the GUI has been brought over 100% from Lollipop and it was only ever very average at best :(

Lollipop dullness patched if ya ask me.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    What's the story with Marshmallow?

Can see very few, minuscule, inconsequential differences in fairness?

- Jury is out as of yet on this power saving leap... Already reports of disappointing results in real life testing.

Also the GUI has been brought over 100% from Lollipop and it was only ever very average at best :(

Lollipop dullness patched if ya ask me.

That's basically what every second OS version is. A refinement of the existing one. Most improvements are under the hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Yep, driven by sales and marketing pressures no doubt...

Marshmallow is Lollipop with basic common sense fixes for problems that should never have been there in the first place.

Bah.

- Last time I'll get excited about this crap in advance! Fool that I am ;)

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Yep, driven by sales and marketing pressures no doubt...

Marshmallow is Lollipop with basic common sense fixes for problems that should never have been there in the first place.

Bah.

- Last time I'll get excited about this crap in advance! Fool that I am ;)

You guys must've been crazy back then, since éclair, froyo and gingerbread look nearly identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

People need to stop getting into such a frenzy about Android updates! They are not worth getting your knickers in a twist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Couple of added features I wasn't aware of until this video:

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Couple of added features I wasn't aware of until this video:

That's rather cool!

So... Anyone else gotten the ota by now? I'm still not getting it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭mcw92

murfilein wrote: »
    That's rather cool!

So... Anyone else gotten the ota by now? I'm still not getting it...

I installed in via ADB last night, haven't looked at it too much as I'm selling the Nexus its on, its an easy process, but you lose all the data afaik. There are ways to do it without losing data if i remember from before

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Binky Bricktop

Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting a new battery for my Nexus 5 - after googling for a couple of days now it seems there are an awful lot of fake or second hand batteries floating about for sale on-line. I don't have the funds or the patience to faff about with a fake battery!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting a new battery for my Nexus 5 - after googling for a couple of days now it seems there are an awful lot of fake or second hand batteries floating about for sale on-line. I don't have the funds or the patience to faff about with a fake battery!

Any help greatly appreciated.

you can get them on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BL-T9-Replacement-Battery-Nexus-Black/dp/B00SHVIV96

/edit: IF this is the legit item as shown on the images. people say they received lower mah samsung made ones.
    maybe you want to write to the seller and ask them if the back says "samsung", on the silver part.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Binky Bricktop

Thanks murfilein for the reply - already checked this guy out, seems like he is selling fake ones judging by the reviews for the last month or so...

Gonna keep googling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I just got notified of the update & clicked on it but there is nothing to say that it's downloading - no progress bar. Is this normal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Discodog wrote: »
    I just got notified of the update & clicked on it but there is nothing to say that it's downloading - no progress bar. Is this normal ?

Wife just got it also, turn the phone to landscape or look really closely above the text for the yellow download progress line. Very badly done...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Wife just got it also, turn the phone to landscape or look really closely above the text for the yellow download progress line. Very badly done...

Thanks. Just spotted it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Mines upgrading now ! Hopefully the battery gets an improvement. Are the battery's hard to fit ?

Advertisement