Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

So wait... We might actually get this at the same time as the UK?

We don't know yet. Launch date hasn't even been confirmed yet, let alone country availability.

You might have an idea within the next 36 hours or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

So wait... We might actually get this at the same time as the UK?

Not from the play store if what I'm hearing is true. Its looking like a few carriers are taking it on so I'd say if we get it, it will be on contract or fairly inflated in price. CPW are carrying it in the UK not sure if that's SIM free or on contract. UK lads are saying CPW were selling the nexus 4 with roughly £100 added last year.

Using the tunnel bear method with Uk gmail address and Parcel Motel address (but with Irish visa/debit card registered to my irish address), i can log on to the UK Google play store, add a nexus device to my cart. When I enter the cart, the next step is to "Proceed". I am unsure as to whether clicking the 'Proceed' button will commit me to buying the nexus device so I decided against taking it further just in case. But the signs are good, does anybody know if the 'Proceed' button is the final step (i.e. does pressing it commit you to buying the device)

Getting to the stage of actually getting a purchase confirmed I'm afraid is relatively straightforward and doesn't bring you further to guaranteeing you get the device. A high percentage of orders will be cancelled post order confirmation I'm afraid (if Google maintains the same policy as previous)

projectgtr wrote: »
    Not from the play store if what I'm hearing is true. Its looking like a few carriers are taking it on so I'd say if we get it, it will be on contract or fairly inflated in price. CPW are carrying it in the UK not sure if that's SIM free or on contract. UK lads are saying CPW were selling the nexus 4 with roughly £100 added last year.

For what it's worth, at the time of the GNex I was on VF bill pay and I think that device cost €200 up front on a €45 per month, 18 month contract.

When you think of what the Nexus 4 sold for from play, it'll give you an idea of the inflated price charged by carriers in Ireland (albeit on an early version of the nexus brand)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

projectgtr wrote: »

Definitely not from the Play Store unless Google completely part from their ways, Play Store announcements tend to be separate things in advance of hardware and software launches so I would put zero chance of devices on the Irish play store, but I have been know to be wrong ( a lot :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

So from what reddit is saying, somewhere between 3pm-6pm for us (8am-11am Pacific time) for an announcement today. Released tomorrow in the US. Now to sit on r/android hitting refresh for the day. Productivity for this day is not going to be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Did you read the post where a chap got some hands on time with the Nexus 5? Here's what he said is coming that's not been talked about:

* Threaded SMS / Hangouts Messages from the same sender (at last)
    * Full Backup Solution (like iCloud) that offers 100GB of Drive storage)
    * Speakers are excellent, quite loud and not thinny like the Nexus 4
    * Starting price in the US is $349 for 16GB Model (that's €254 today)
    * Battery seems to be on par with everything else in the market
    * Touchless Voice Control and Lockscreen Notifications - a la Motorola X

advertsfox wrote: »
    Did you read the post where a chap got some hands on time with the Nexus 5? Here's what he said is coming that's not been talked about:

Yeah some interesting stuff in there. Lots of information leaking out all over the subreddit today. I'm keeping an eye on r/android/new for the day :D

* Starting price in the US is for 16GB Model (that's €254 today)

The SMS and Hangout intergration has been known for sometime - it's a software matter rather than N5 specific.

What do you (he) mean by full backup? Settings, Contacts, Pics, Hangouts, Emails, docs (using drive) are all fully synced (as is music, books etc.) Do you mean specific in app data? - again this is software related.

Specific report on speakers is new. And welcomed.

battery has been more or less confirmed for some time 2,300amh. I find that dissapointing to be honest. However, It has long since been suggested that KK4.4 would be far better at managing resources and would be easier on power (so software gains may increase the battery performance).

Touchless voice control has been expected for sometime. Active lockscreen is again a software issue and not specifically related to the N5. Again this was highly expected to be coming to KitKat, given that Motorola are under the Google umbrella.

Most of the software advancements will be available for previous Nexus device with an update.

I suspect we'll hear something around 15:00.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My ageing S1 was serving me well until recently so haven't been following what's going on in the mobile world until this week as it has now decided to more or less pack up. I went to buy the Nexus 4 not realising the bloody thing was long sold out after it was discounted a while ago. I'd imagine the 5 will be a little out of what I've budgeted for so I'm hoping for either the 4 or an updated version to be sold along side the 5.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    My ageing S1 was serving me well until recently so haven't been following what's going on in the mobile world until this week as it has now decided to more or less pack up. I went to buy the Nexus 4 not realising the bloody thing was long sold out after it was discounted a while ago. I'd imagine the 5 will be a little out of what I've budgeted for so I'm hoping for either the 4 or an updated version to be sold along side the 5.

I'm afraid to say there is absolutely no chance of an updated 4 being sold alongside the 5. You'll have to try source one on adverts.ie or eBay. The stock of the N4 was run down worldwide, as far as I know its sold out almost everywhere at this stage.

Uriel. wrote: »
    The SMS and Hangout intergration has been known for sometime - it's a software matter rather than N5 specific.

What do you (he) mean by full backup? Settings, Contacts, Pics, Hangouts, Emails, docs (using drive) are all fully synced (as is music, books etc.) Do you mean specific in app data? - again this is software related.

Specific report on speakers is new. And welcomed.

battery has been more or less confirmed for some time 2,300amh. I find that dissapointing to be honest. However, It has long since been suggested that KK4.4 would be far better at managing resources and would be easier on power (so software gains may increase the battery performance).

Touchless voice control has been expected for sometime. Active lockscreen is again a software issue and not specifically related to the N5. Again this was highly expected to be coming to KitKat, given that Motorola are under the Google umbrella.

Most of the software advancements will be available for previous Nexus device with an update.
    Yes it is, to be honest I think we all know the hardware inside out at this point, that was never really an issue in the first place but I've personally been more interested in the upcoming software updates esp. in regards to Hangouts / Drive and what it will pull from the Moto X since it is as you said, it's Google's new baby and a hands on experience was always going to tell us a good bit more about the software (hardware be more for how the screen looks, camera, speakers, weight).

No idea what he meant by full backup, Google already does our App Data, Preferences, Contacts etc. but I'd like to see our Auto Backup photos from Google+ go to an actual folder in my Google Drive or SMS / Call Logs to a label in Gmail (I use SMS Backup+ that does this, really nice feature).

The only other rumour regarding battery I've read is that the 32GB model will have a large 3,000mAh battery but I personally doubt that. I've no problem with 2,300mAh since it's easier to make the CPU / GPU less power hungry (X8 core in Moto X) that cram in a bigger battery with the same tech as 5 years ago.

The Active Lockscreen is 50/50 software and hardware since an AMOLED screen is required - yes technically you can use a 3rd party app with a LCD screen but it will kill battery life since all pixels are required to light as opposed to just the select few of an AMOLED screen for your notification.

In the end, I'm just looking forward to nicely upgraded device from my N4 that will give me a little bit more oomph, battery, screen size and of course a new gadget buzz ;)

Yes it is, to be honest I think we all know the hardware inside out at this point, that was never really an issue in the first place but I've personally been more interested in the upcoming software updates esp. in regards to Hangouts / Drive and what it will pull from the Moto X since it is as you said, it's Google's new baby and a hands on experience was always going to tell us a good bit more about the software (hardware be more for how the screen looks, camera, speakers, weight).

No idea what he meant by full backup, Google already does our App Data, Preferences, Contacts etc. but I'd like to see our Auto Backup photos from Google+ go to an actual folder in my Google Drive or SMS / Call Logs to a label in Gmail (I use SMS Backup+ that does this, really nice feature).

The only other rumour regarding battery I've read is that the 32GB model will have a large 3,000mAh battery but I personally doubt that. I've no problem with 2,300mAh since it's easier to make the CPU / GPU less power hungry (X8 core in Moto X) that cram in a bigger battery with the same tech as 5 years ago.

The Active Lockscreen is 50/50 software and hardware since an AMOLED screen is required - yes technically you can use a 3rd party app with a LCD screen but it will kill battery life since all pixels are required to light as opposed to just the select few of an AMOLED screen for your notification.

In the end, I'm just looking forward to nicely upgraded device from my N4 that will give me a little bit more oomph, battery, screen size and of course a new gadget buzz ;)
    I can forget everything else you said and just skip straight to "new gadget buzz"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYMXMBT8aB0SmV9Wx8OP6BBBqu49k2q6WYODdYbLGYfLnfqoK5

homer_simpson-1080.gif

In the thread on Reddit he says its full backup of apps rather than the kind of half arsed one we have at the moment so game saves are backed up across devices. I'm curios to find out if this means that notifications dismissed/read on my phone are marked as read or removed from notification drop down menu on my tablet. That would be amazing.

In the thread on Reddit he says its full backup of apps rather than the kind of half arsed one we have at the moment so game saves are backed up across devices. I'm curios to find out if this means that notifications dismissed/read on my phone are marked as read or removed from notification drop down menu on my tablet. That would be amazing.

That would be great alright.

I'd also wonder if it means the syncing of in app settings, defaults etc... If those were backed up to central server, it might reduce the need for apps such as titanium backup - could make ROM switching etc easier to embrace.

Syncing app settings would be another big step in the right direction. Although didn't iOS developers have massive problems with working with iCloud? Hopefully it will be easier to work with on Android.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm pretty sure that notifications thing is already in place in 4.3. Wasn't that revealed as part of some other event over the last year?

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that notifications thing is already in place in 4.3. Wasn't that revealed as part of some other event over the last year?

Oh, i didn't know that. Not working between my HTC One and Nexus 7 at present I presume thats because my phone is on 4.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Oh, i didn't know that. Not working between my HTC One and Nexus 7 at present I presume thats because my phone is on 4.2

Doesn't work for me with Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 on latest stock.
    Maybe there is some settings to enable it but for me it doesn't happen currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

^^^
    Think that's only for calendar events! :)

Ah. That still doesn't work for me, I presume both devices need to be 4.3

Still if its possible to do it for calendar events it should hopefully be possible for all notifications, or at least Google apps anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

5starpool wrote: »
    Implemented as part of Play Services at IO this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Doesn't work for me and I have a G nex on 4.3 and the new nexus 7? Do I need to activate it or am I misunderstanding!?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Carrollman

When they say the phone will be launched today does that mean it will be in sale straight away or will we have to wait a day or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Note: US prices generally do not include Vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Doesn't work for me and I have a G nex on 4.3 and the new nexus 7? Do I need to activate it or am I misunderstanding!?
    Its a developer option afaik.
    Not sure how much uses it besides Hangouts

god's toy wrote: »
    Note: US prices generally do not include Vat.
    Yup just providing a baseline for the information provided + the changeover to GBP prices (so most likely £299 + shipping) which is more like €360+.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

just looked at my old orders....Nexus 4 16GB was £279 + shipping + parcelmotel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yup just providing a baseline for the information provided + the changeover to GBP prices (so most likely £299 + shipping) which is more like €360+.

Yep was thinking the same, it would be cool we did get it for that price.

Advertisement