Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Right have a friend in the UK who'll purchase hopefully if I need to.

Really need to upgrade from the pos sgs3 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that notifications thing is already in place in 4.3. Wasn't that revealed as part of some other event over the last year?
    Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me with Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 on latest stock.
    Maybe there is some settings to enable it but for me it doesn't happen currently.
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    ^^^
    Think that's only for calendar events! :)
    Ah. That still doesn't work for me, I presume both devices need to be 4.3

Still if its possible to do it for calendar events it should hopefully be possible for all notifications, or at least Google apps anyway.
    Implemented as part of Play Services at IO this year
    Doesn't work for me and I have a G nex on 4.3 and the new nexus 7? Do I need to activate it or am I misunderstanding!?

I think there is some confusion regarding notifications. IN fairness, I could be the one confused.

But I think what the OP was talking about in respect of notifications was active display, as was seen on the Moto X, see here for a description

active-display-moto-x.gif

This is not available on existing Nexus devices. Now whether or not the software capabilities are ready in the OS background (4.3 onwards) is one thing, they perhaps are (though I am not so sure), but as the poster pointed rightly pointed out in his follow up post, there are also hardware considerations that may limit their use on existing devices.

In the thread on Reddit he says its full backup of apps rather than the kind of half arsed one we have at the moment so game saves are backed up across devices. I'm curios to find out if this means that notifications dismissed/read on my phone are marked as read or removed from notification drop down menu on my tablet. That would be amazing.
    But I think what the OP was talking about in respect of notifications was active display, as was seen on the Moto X, see here for a description

No no he's not referring to that at all. He is referring to what people are talking about. :)

No no he's not referring to that at all. He is referring to what people are talking about. :)

aye, you're quite right. I am half brain dead today. :o

Then in fact the syncing of notifications across devices is in place - at least it is for me on the GNex and N10. The only notifications that are not in sync are app updates, and of course this is the case for obvious reasons :)

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    More leaks - just cause! The innards this time...

Well the leaks re battery size appear to be spot on anyway :)

less than ten minutes to supposed unveiling time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

*checks credit card balance*

Yes, I'm ready for the N5 announcement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

So is it just going to be a press release or what can we expect?

Edit: All of the sites which had posted little or nothing regarding release dates (Android Central, Android Police etc) are now all putting out articles saying today is the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

They seem very confident on the AndroidPolice site that today is the day!

The Nexus 5 And KitKat Launch Today, October 31st

So is it just going to be a press release or what can we expect?

has every look of it. Like last year.

Numerous press release, videos etc.. is expected with no unveiling event. It has been highly suggested that the Play Store event last week was the unveiling to the media and key figures, and all had to sign non disclosure agreements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

*still waiting*

Uriel. wrote: »
    has every look of it. Like last year.

Numerous press release, videos etc.. is expected with no unveiling event. It has been highly suggested that the Play Store event last week was the unveiling to the media and key figures, and all had to sign non disclosure agreements.

Yeah I also heard that the vast majority of media will have reviews online as soon as tomorrow. Didn't something similar happen with the Moto X?

Anyway seems like its just a matter of time now. Wonder how long we'll have to wait here before they are available in the UK/Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ste- wrote: »
    *still waiting*

the waiting game sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

tumblr_mt7zkpbIk21rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Most of the sites lately seem to be implying 7pm our time.

Most of the sites lately seem to be implying 7pm our time.

I've seen so far that 3pm was expected unveiling.
    Then I saw 4pm and
    Now seeing 6pm for the lifting of the embargo, but official unveiling to occur before that (so maybe 4pm?) could happen at any stage though.

Twitter and r/android are going to explode soon. I thought the phone was being announced sometime between 3-6pm here and available to buy at 7 or 8pm in EU Play Stores. Obviously just rumours so far of course.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On the play store on my phone, which is connected via 3g in Dublin, I can see Movies and TV as well as magazines (not devices though). If I go into any item it says not available though. Is this just some weird glitch or is it the same for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

5starpool wrote: »
    On the play store on my phone, which is connected via 3g in Dublin, I can see Movies and TV as well as magazines (not devices though). If I go into any item it says not available though. Is this just some weird glitch or is it the same for everyone?

Glitch or location through the 3G being reported as being in the UK.

Ya, I rebooted and they are still there but available now with prices, albeit in sterling. If no one else is seeing them then it is obviously nothing, but why can't I see devices through my phones then?

• Advertisement

^^^
    try going to play.google.com in a browser?

Did you associate a UK address to a card that's linked to your google wallet recently?
    That would show up the UK store if you did ... :)

^^^

Did you associate a UK address to a card that's linked to your google wallet recently?

He is connected to the play store UK and he knows that, but he's wondering why devices tab has disappeared? It's a sign

5Starpool, mine is still showing devices both desktop and app (both are UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Dont think devices show on the Google play app, do they?

edit: scratch that :)

^^^

Not using that google account no, but I did connect to the play store last night using tunnelbear although I didn't change any addresses, so I guess that's it, especially if no on else is reporting the same.

Carry on then.

He is connected to the play store UK and he knows that, but he's wondering why devices tab has disappeared? It's a sign

5Starpool, mine is still showing devices both desktop and app (both are UK)

OOOOH :pac:

I didn't think the app showed devices!

That's why I said to try a browser :)

OOOOH :pac:

I didn't think the app showed devices!

That's why I said to try a browser :)

Mine does anyway?

Nobody else's? :cool::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Nothing new on browser or in the app for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Mine does anyway?

Nobody else's? :cool::confused:

Mine used to show devices but doesn't anymore. If I open the Play Store in a browser I do get the Devices tab

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Not sure if this has already been asked.

My play store account is on the American version. Has been since i bought my 2012 nexus 7.

Can i add myirish credit card/billing address to this account and get it delivered to my uncles place in america?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

active-display-moto-x.gif
    Unfortunately, that wouldn't be great on the N5's IPS screen anyway, Moto X has AMOLED so only bright pixels turned on! :)

I'm off to Vegas in a while, I hope to pick one of these up, have to get it delivered to my hotel, I'd say timing it right would be tricky, have to order it from Ireland at the start of the week through a proxy/tunnel and have it arrive in the hotel while I'm there, for only a few days and on the weekend! Is it doable I wonder?! :p

Advertisement