Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

and still pending....methinks thats not a good sign...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ck24

So looks like Nexus 5 with KitKat has been released

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/google-nexus-5-google-finally-2663165

No sign of the Nexus 10 2 tablet yet....wonder what that means....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Aelun

So none of the carriers have come out to say that they will be carrying this here, unsurprising i know, but would've been nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

it all happened so quickly in the end :D

Held off myself so far. But might be tempted.

Hopefully those of you who have placed orders will get full confirmations and shipment notifications.

KitKat looks interesting, while there's no game changers as such there, the various subtle improvements going on in there look great and in practice will make a big difference - even simple things like bringing emoji integration into the keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Is there any reason to not get the US version of the device?

US play store selling at 300 + tax = 345. thats 255 euro
    UK play store at 300 pounds. 355 euro

100 euro price difference if my sums are right.

I think the only draw back is that LTE might not work with the US device...is that right?

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    Is there any reason to not get the US version of the device?

US play store selling at 300 + tax = 345. thats 255 euro
    UK play store at 300 pounds. 355 euro

100 euro price difference if my sums are right.

I think the only draw back is that LTE might not work with the US device...is that right?

Well you'll have to add tax/import on top of the US play store cost (depending on how you go about getting the device).

IF you have any problems with it, Google UK won't deal with it.

It's a risk - worth taking? Probably, but that's for you to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I wouldn't worry too much about it showing as pending!
    I have one order showing as pending since Feb 22nd, but it's right here in my hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Uriel. wrote: »
    Well you'll have to add tax/import on top of the US play store cost (depending on how you go about getting the device).

IF you have any problems with it, Google UK won't deal with it.

It's a risk - worth taking? Probably, but that's for you to decide.

Thanks Uriel.

I have friends coming back from the US in a few weeks so they can give it to me as a present :D

100 euro for no LTE seems to be what it comes down to. Not a deal breaker right now I guess but maybe in 6 months I might be regretting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

maybe in 6 months I might be regretting it.

With Irish networks? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Looking at the two versions, the US version LTE will not work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭bren2001

Said all week that I wouldn't buy this. That I would wait until I hard more money. Still using a Samsung Galaxy Mini, so this would only be a minor step up I imagine...

That all changed when I got my first pay check yesterday. Now to figure out how to actually finance it the rest of my month.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Im not too bothered with the lack of LTE when using the US version over here.

Truth is.... After a decade of much fanfare Irish operators still havent invested in adequately in 3G/HSDPA.

We should all be getting 20+mpbs on our existing devices but the operators wont invest the money.

4G is all about optics & buzz.
    Id say most of us will barely notice the difference.

Jebus, I hope that's not the case.

But being with Three the last 5 months, considering crappy and inconsistent "3G" speeds obtained (in the Capital) it doesn't look good.

Has anyone here switched to EMobile or Meteor etc.. 4G - Much improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im not too bothered with the lack of LTE when using the US version over here.

Truth is.... After a decade of much fanfare Irish operators still havent invested in adequately in 3G/HSDPA.

We should all be getting 20+mpbs on our existing devices but the operators wont invest the money.

Im going to say no to this. 4G will be all fanfare next year which ever way you look at it.

Meteor have launched, Vodafone are due to launch live and three will have an offering next year also.

Limiting your device with no capabilities of this function is short sighted and will suck come resale time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Just ordered through my work VPN :cool:

Dispatched on 8/11/2013.

C'mon baby !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Uriel. wrote: »
    Jebus, I hope that's not the case.

But being with Three the last 5 months, considering crappy and inconsistent "3G" speeds obtained (in the Capital) it doesn't look good.

Has anyone here switched to EMobile or Meteor etc.. 4G - Much improvement?

Slow start to it, but very very good speeds are achievable in certain locations. It can only get bigger and better as all operators come online. Theyve been upgrading masts for LTE for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Pique wrote: »
    Just ordered through my work VPN :cool:

Dispatched on 8/11/2013.

C'mon baby !!:D
    Dispatched already? Where/how are you ordering?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭robertdempsey

Ordered 32GB white @ 6.30pm yesterday from uk store.
    Shipping to parcel motel and using tesco credit card.

NO confirmation email and the status says "pending" on google wallet and the play store itself. I do have an order number though.

When I phoned credit card company today they only had a 1 euro in / out from a few days ago (must be when I linked the card to my google account).

Credit card company know nothing of the order placed yesterday,

Bad news? Happening anyone else?
    I wonder if I should cancel this order?

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 mindbloggling

Really looking at buying one of these but dont know what way to go about it.
    I can buy from Uk for an extra 100/150 for the 32gb compared to the Us (my cousin is coming home in a few weeks so can bring it with him)
    What is the real difference between buying from either other than the guarantee.

thanks in advance for any advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Meh.... I dont feel too constrained.

90% if my usage is wifi.

I'm fortunate in that when I do use the cellular network, speeds are around 7mbps.
    The vast majority of Ireland can only dream of that.

I dont mean to p*ss all over 4Gs cornflakes.... Its just after a decade of poor rollout of 3g services, do we expect 4g to be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Dispatched already? Where/how are you ordering?

Check the date man. 8th Nov it WILL BE dispatched (hopefully) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Can anyone confirm the order process? If Flubit only works for amazon.

I have the general jist of the process just looking for some confirmation. VPN to access store , parcel motel account , can I add a visa debit card to google account and do I register the NI address on google account also?

Any help appreciated.

Pique wrote: »
    Check the date man. 8th Nov it WILL BE dispatched (hopefully) :)
    Some folks appear to be having Dispatched by the 5th devices shipped this morning - that's why I asked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭bren2001

Emmo-m- wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm the order process? If Flubit only works for amazon.

I have the general jist of the process just looking for some confirmation. VPN to access store , parcel motel account , can I add a visa debit card to google account and do I register the NI address on google account also?

Any help appreciated.

Whole process here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056878068

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

To save all the Play Store hassle, has anybody tried getting it shipped to Parcel Motel by Carphone Warehouse?

Anyone getting their order as shipped yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

spockety wrote: »
    To save all the Play Store hassle, has anybody tried getting it shipped to Parcel Motel by Carphone Warehouse?

They only deliver to mainland UK :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Mine has despatched. Hallelujah. First?

Advertisement