Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, my company is offering an upgrade for my comapny ipad. I can hand it in and get a new Nexus 5 32GB.

Damn, tempting but then I've no ipad and my Nexus 4 is doing ok.

hmmm, upgrade to an ipad air/mini or a N5??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not looking good for me so.

Anyone else NOT get an email confirmation? My bank also knows nothing about the order.. Still pending from 6.30

I haven't received a confirmation email but there is a €1 charge against my credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

jester77 wrote: »
    hmm, my company is offering an upgrade for my comapny ipad. I can hand it in and get a new Nexus 5 32GB.

delicious dilema to be in.

If it was me I would stick with the N4 & have them get you a nice iPad Air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

jester77 wrote: »

I fell for you man, keep the chin up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

SK1979 wrote: »
    AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong), Google sell the phone at cost price / cheap cos they plan to make more money off you from content that you'll buy in the Play Store. As the Irish Play Store doesn't have all content to sell, Google wont sell the phone here.

Think thats pretty much the reason?

Sounds plausible, until you think about the fact that the Nexus 7 tablet is officially distributed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Same as me :(

Hopefully soon though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Well, yesterday when trying to access the Play Store Devices page I accidentally accessed the Italian version of Google Play, so I just had a look around (as the prices were in Euro) and when I returned to the main page of the Play Store I noticed that they only had Apps, Music and Books for sale. Just like Ireland.

It's also shown here on the availability page http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Play

It's possible Google can sell here, just when?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

spockety wrote: »
    Sounds plausible, until you think about the fact that the Nexus 7 tablet is officially distributed here.

It's not though, its only available through third party retailers and not from Google, Asus will have offered them the device at an RRP and they will have felt they can make a markup on it.

Going by the specs of the Nexus 5 the RRP would be massive here compared to the discounted Google Play or UK retailers because of the income from their play store, making it nonviable for retailers to stock it.

Thats my theory anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Ordered there, at Pending status, does that mean they're checking the shipping/billing vs. credit card address?
    Uh oh. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

brk3 wrote: »
    Source?

give it a lash yourself and you'll see. very quick, very easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Could it be anything to do with the fact that LG make the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

I ordered two white 32GB by mistake - would prefer black, now it says the white 32GB cannot be ordered anymore "Limit Reached".. ah I see now - you can only order two maximum

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Anyone else have their status order at"pre-order"? It was pending for a while but now it is at pre-order. That seems to be a stage above pending but I am not sure....

I have a feeling I messed up my order by changing the billing address of my Irish Card back to the actual Irish address after ordering through a proxy and originally having a british postcode in the billing address. I can see the order in the Play Store "my orders" section but now when I go to press more info it just goes to "This device is not available in your country". Even when I have changed it back to the UK billing address and using a proxy, the play store seems locked down to the Irish one. Google Wallet still shows the charge as pending and nothing has been taken from my card yet (not even the €1 charge to test the card others seem to get).

I know everyone is probably in some limbo with their order, but I seem to be in more limbo than others. Oh well. Never got a confirmation email either. I just wish they'd let us know if the order will go through or not. Can't be having with this not knowing.

Seems I can only get to the Store/My Orders - info with Chrome & Tunnelbear, I get the not available message with Firefox if that helps anyone. :)
    I can't go directly to https://play.google.com/store/devices
    I go to https://play.google.com/store and the Nexus picture appears at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Has anyone tried to pay with a Visa Debit card yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Emmo-m- wrote: »

Yep I have, last I looked it was still pending with nothing taken from the account.

Yeah me too, still pending, I added another order with my usual billing address just with the PM postcode on it and that's pending too... I wonder which one will go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I did. Order pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

SK1979 wrote: »
    AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong), Google sell the phone at cost price / cheap cos they plan to make more money off you from content that you'll buy in the Play Store. As the Irish Play Store doesn't have all content to sell, Google wont sell the phone here.

Think thats pretty much the reason?

they sell the Nexus 7 here though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Seems to be a whole lot of messin' going on with these orders. I think I'll hold off until things settle down a bit, my current phone will last until after christmas so I'm in no real rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

loyatemu wrote: »
    they sell the Nexus 7 here though...

Google don't. Shops do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Same as the lads above, I ordered it last night using my UB Visa Debit card using the Parcel Motel billing address on a new Google account, I got the order confirmation email and I rang the bank to make sure they allow the transaction and the guy on the phone said ~€407 had been authorised already. My first experience with Google Play UK and parcel motel so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

emo72 wrote: »
    Mine has despatched. Hallelujah. First?

Emo what exactly was your ordering process you seem to be the only one with any luck so far????

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Ste05 wrote: »
    Same as the lads above, I ordered it last night using my UB Visa Debit card using the Parcel Motel billing address on a new Google account, I got the order confirmation email and I rang the bank to make sure they allow the transaction and the guy on the phone said ~€407 had been authorised already. My first experience with Google Play UK and parcel motel so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

Was that for 16gb or 32gb?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

emo72 wrote: »
    Google don't. Shops do.

Aye, point being that Google are happy for their device and play store to be available in Ireland on a Nexus 7. Why would they therefore not allow say, Carphone Warehouse Ireland to sell the Nexus 5? (Or the 4, or the 10, etc.)

Aye, point being that Google are happy for their device and play store to be available in Ireland on a Nexus 7. Why would they therefore not allow say, Carphone Warehouse Ireland to sell the Nexus 5? (Or the 4, or the 10, etc.)

They aren't stopping them but the price would be at least double what it is in the Play Store or in UK stores. So why would they bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

They sell to the most profitable markets first. If they don't meet the more profitable markets demand they lose money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

They aren't stopping them but the price would be at least double what it is in the Play Store or in UK stores. So why would they bother?

The Nexus 7 isn't double the price in shops here vs the Play store so why do you think that the Nexus 5 would be at least double the price that it is on the Play store? I don't get your logic?

SteM wrote: »
    The Nexus 7 isn't double the price in shops here vs the Play store so why do you think that the Nexus 5 would be at least double the price that it is on the Play store? I don't get your logic?

The Nexus 7 is sold at a margin where retailers can make a markup, the Nexus 5 isn't.

Asus are happy to sell the Nexus 7 at a low price whereas Google are subsidising the Nexus 5 in the hope of making the money back through Play store purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Google are subsidising the Nexus 5 in the hope of making the money back through Play store purchases.

This might be a dumb question, but why would they make more money from the Play store through a Nexus device than through any other android phone?

Better integration?

Advertisement