Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Evil_g wrote: »
    This might be a dumb question, but why would they make more money from the Play store through a Nexus device than through any other android phone?

Better integration?

They want to increase their customer base so more users consume from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Looks like I will have to make do with 2 Nexus 5's, managed to blag one through a contact :D

24ngopd.jpg

Some initial thoughts. It definitely feels lighter than the Nexus 4 which is a good thing. Also, not sure what nonsense The Verge were spouting about it feeling cheap. I think the grippy plastic is much better to have than the glass back in the Nexus 4. The screen quality is amazing - coming from 640x360 resolution to full 1080p is spectacular.

More to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

gzoladz wrote: »

Oh right. I suppose when your main competitor is IOS subsidizing a high end phone makes sense.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Evil_g wrote: »
    This might be a dumb question, but why would they make more money from the Play store through a Nexus device than through any other android phone?

Better integration?

They don't, but the Nexus devices are the only official google ones, and they don't subsidise other phones so that they are very affordable in the same way that they do the Nexus ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

gzoladz wrote: »

I thought the whole point of Android in general and the Nexus range in general is that Google makes more money off the advertising through Google (as well as gaining all that marketing info about browsing use and shopping).

Surely that applies to Ireland as well.

If only they could put by a small fraction of their tax avoidance that we generously allow them to give by having their European HQ here towards allowing Irish people to buy the Nexus range without having to arse about with proxies, well that would be just swell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

More to come...

The only question I want to know the answer to is what's the battery life like?

I suppose I'll have to wait a few weeks for a definitive answer to that.

The Nexus 7 is sold at a margin where retailers can make a markup, the Nexus 5 isn't.

Asus are happy to sell the Nexus 7 at a low price whereas Google are subsidising the Nexus 5 in the hope of making the money back through Play store purchases.
    I don't think the margins on the Nexus 5 are as small as you think. For example, the LG G2 is £400 on ebay, the 32GB model of this phone is £350.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'd also question why if the Nexus phones were meant to be money making devices for Google, they don't try and make them as easy as possible to get and flood high street retailers with them etc. The logic doesn't sit right. They are reference devices targeted at developers and enthusiasts, not cash cows for the Play store.

How many Nexus phones sell vs Samsung Galaxy's?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Looks like I will have to make do with 2 Nexus 5's, managed to blag one through a contact :D

I hate you. Meanwhile I am still stuck in ordering limbo....Is it ordered or is it not? Let me know Google! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

spockety wrote: »
    They are reference devices targeted at developers and enthusiasts, not cash cows for the Play store.

Exactly right. If they were supposed to be purely money making devices surely Motorola would be making them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Basically nobody here can say for sure why Google don't sell the Nexus phones to Irish users.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

I don't think the margins on the Nexus 5 are as small as you think. For example, the LG G2 is £400 on ebay, the 32GB model of this phone is £350.

I agree and I think the excuse that if they sold them in shops here they would be 'at least double the price what it is in the Play Store' is nonsense. They're not selling at a loss on the Play store. Hardware margins for the likes of CPW aren't that high on Samsung or HTC phones as far as I'm aware so why would someone think they prices of the N5 would have to double if the CPW were to sell it here?

Google is is committed to getting as many people using their services as possible - it's how they make their money, though advertising. I just can't understand the reasoning for them not offering the Nexus 5 to Irish customers through the Play store or through the likes of the CPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Any word on the screen quality? The Nexus 4 had very washed out colours compared with (say) the SGS2 screen. Blacks looked grey-ish in comparison.

Is that fixed on Nexus 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

SteM wrote: »
    I agree and I think the excuse that if they sold them in shops here they would be 'at least double the price what it is in the Play Store' is nonsense. They're not selling at a loss on the Play store.

Even if they are not, they are being subsidised. And in a market as small as Ireland without a full Play store we're bound to be low on the priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

much as i like a rant and i do, in fact i had one last night at google..

but honestly it is what it is. trying to understand the logic or reasons for a company decision that sometimes defy logic is wasting your time. basically they dont sell them here. rant at google might be an idea but we do need to remember we are a spot on the ass of a elephant to google.

as for using the tax issue to get a phone...er no...lets not do that...pretty soon you will want it for free because... honestly rather have the jobs than the phone. if we dont have people working here you wont be getting a phone and quite frankly i am taxed enough already. i am just about to give a google phone in value to that ****wit enda for our house...if you want a rant, direct it there.

so arguing about why, is tilting at windmills...it is because they say it is. you could always build your own phone facility just for ireland?? ;)

but i do want to finish with ...seriously google WTF?! ;)

an edit: im still pending, even emailed my cc company to approve. i was one of the motel ordering masses here with an irish credit card.

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Any word on the screen quality? The Nexus 4 had very washed out colours compared with (say) the SGS2 screen. Blacks looked grey-ish in comparison.

If you didn't like the Nexus 4, then the Nexus 5 isn't going to change your mind. Black is disappointingly a very dark grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Anyone near the border you can now reserve and collect it in CPW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

seanp_25 wrote: »

Unfortunately Mr. Joe Public has very little knowledge of screen technology. Samsung have been using "AMOLED" screens for years, now on the "Full HD Super AMOLED" screen. The colours are over saturated, i.e. they look very intense and make the screen look brighter and better, but they don't represent true colour.

The IPS display on the other hand displays colour at more realistic levels. LG are the main manufacturer of these displays. Unfortunately with the Nexus 4 the colours looked very washed out. You could fix this by using an app to adjust the colour profile which made it a lot better. Hopefully they have sorted this out on the N5, but we'll find out soon enough.

So some people prefer AMOLED some prefer IPS, personally I like the 'pop' from the Samsung AMOLED screens but I do know what I see is not a real representation of colour.
    Just to note, the Galaxy S4 and now Note 3 apparently don't have that 'pop' anymore with the new type AMOLED, but I've not seen one colose up to be able to say myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 n0rmal

Just ouf of curiosity, anyone tried ordering through CPW website? They have the nexus 5 up for grabs on there also (both with contract and SIM-free).

lafors wrote: »
    Unfortunately Mr. Joe Public has very little knowledge of screen technology. Samsung have been using "AMOLED" screens for years, now on the "Full HD Super AMOLED" screen. The colours are over saturated, i.e. they look very intense and make the screen look brighter and better, but they don't represent true colour.

The IPS display on the other hand displays colour at more realistic levels. LG are the main manufacturer of these displays. Unfortunately with the Nexus 4 the colours looked very washed out. You could fix this by using an app to adjust the colour profile which made it a lot better. Hopefully they have sorted this out on the N5, but we'll find out soon enough.

So some people prefer AMOLED some prefer IPS, personally I like the 'pop' from the Samsung AMOLED screens but I do know what I see is not a real representation of colour.
    Just to note, the Galaxy S4 and now Note 3 apparently don't have that 'pop' anymore with the new type AMOLED, but I've not seen one colose up to be able to say myself.
    Yep.

I just compared the AMOLED on a Samsung with the IPS of the Nexus 5. Here are my thoughts.

Nexus 5
    The colour reproduction looks more realistic than the Samsung.
    The screen is slightly brighter.
    Blacks are unfortunately grey.

• Advertisement

First disappointment - the speakers are kind of crappy. Not loud at all and it's too easy to cover them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

First disappointment - the speakers are kind of crappy. Not loud at all and it's too easy to cover them up.

Really? I was hoping they'd finally have this nailed.
    Considering cancelling the order now. This is one area that the iPhone really has the edge... I don't understand why all of the various Android phone manufacturers find this so hard to do right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Just got an email to say its shipped and the status says the same on the play store. Ordered at 20.18 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Just got an email to say its shipped and the status says the same on the play store. Ordered at 20.18 last night.

I ordered around 18:32 and still pending. No new toys for me this Christmas so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Same here 32GB White one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

gerryk wrote: »
    Considering cancelling the order now. This is one area that the iPhone really has the edge... I don't understand why all of the various Android phone manufacturers find this so hard to do right.

The Sound on the HTC One is awesome. Far more awesome than any Iphone on the market. Did is say awesome. (i meant awesome)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

THe HTC One ruins pretty much every phone for speaker sound

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Looks like random order fulfillment again, just like last year :)

I ordered at 6:20 and no email yet ...

Never used an Iphone so I can't comment. But comparing this phone to my Nokia, it just isn't as loud (the quality of the audio is perfect though). The real bug bear though is that covering the speaker grill is done all too easily if holding the phone in landscape mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭bren2001

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Looks like random order fulfillment again, just like last year :)

I ordered at 6:20 and no email yet ...

I am presuming the two boardies that got the email ordered white ones. Could of just sent out white nexus 5 there and not black. (well that is what I am telling myself!!!)

Advertisement