Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was messing about on the carphonewarehouse UK site looking up options, going through the order process as a backup plan as I'll be in the UK next weekend just in case the current order is cancelled, and without me ever having created an account there, being logged in, giving a name or card details, the following has come up for me:
    Thank you for your order 1st November 2013. This is now being processed.
    Your order number for delivery to store is 296019XXX

An order acknowledgement email has been sent to
    Name: 0 Email:Address:
    United kingdom
    Home phone: Mobile number:Daytime contact:
    Your order is currently being processed. All orders must be signed for. Unfortunately It is not possible to ship to a different address once your order has been dispatched.
    If you have any questions regarding your order please contact our Customer Care team on 0800 049 6250

Your payment methods
    One-off costs
    Total: £295
    Card Type:Card Number: **** **** **** Billing address: United kingdom

It essentially skipped the payment details screen and went straight to the above. I assume it's some sort of weird glitch or something? They can't magically detect google account details or some such witchcraft without confirming I guess? Weird stuff from CPW. No specific details in the above at all, the only thing I changed was the XXX in the order number, so I assume it's safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

bren2001 wrote: »
    I am presuming the two boardies that got the email ordered white ones. Could of just sent out white nexus 5 there and not black. (well that is what I am telling myself!!!)

That could be it alright! I'm waiting on a 16Gb black one myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

bren2001 wrote: »
    I am presuming the two boardies that got the email ordered white ones. Could of just sent out white nexus 5 there and not black. (well that is what I am telling myself!!!)

Yeah both of us have ordered the 32GB White.
    Seems to be the same on XDA. White 32GB seem to be shipping first.
    My order was at 19:17 for anyone who's interested.

It was picked up in London at 12:20 by Parcel Force according to the tracking.
    It'll be the same as the Nexus 4 & 10.
    It gets the ferry over to Dublin then heads up to Parcel Motel in Norn Iron and then gets brought straight back down to Dublin by Nightline :)
    Should get it Monday evening/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Pleasantly surprised at how ergonomic the phone is. The phone fits in the hand snuggly (for me at least) and typing one handed is easily and quickly done. Thought the size would be too big, but for me, it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Ace. 16GB Black. Ordered through the UK. November 9. My first big screen phone. I think the Nexus 7 will be gathering dust soon..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    Is there any reason to not get the US version of the device?

US play store selling at 300 + tax = 345. thats 255 euro
    UK play store at 300 pounds. 355 euro

100 euro price difference if my sums are right.

I think the only draw back is that LTE might not work with the US device...is that right?

Is it CDMA of GSM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Emmo-m- wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to pay with a Visa Debit card yet?

Yep, I did, with PTSB.

Their card fraud division rang me to confirm the transaction which I just did now so I'll check the order in an hour to see if there's any movement.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Is it CDMA of GSM?

I don't think there is a CDMA version. The LTE bands supported by the N5 in the US are different to those supported in Europe though as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Just got shipped email ordered white 32Gb at 10:30 last night.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭robertdempsey

Anyone place an order with Tesco credit card? OR AIB credit card?
    Have either of these worked?

Still on confirmation email and status still pending.
    - 32gb white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

HOLY BATCRAP BATMAN IT SHIPPED!!!

and for the record irish credit card, motel user, newry address, home address with newry postcode and motel phone number in the config...

ordered at 8.30ish last night...

as a virgin user of the motel thing. i have no money in the pot there, i am guessing i get an email on that at some point or do i need to do that now..

got an email and tracking id ..woohoo...

ps patently racist:- mine is 32bg white...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Anyone place an order with Tesco credit card? OR AIB credit card?
    Have either of these worked?

Used an AIB credit card. used the card to buy nexus 4 and 7 off play store as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey all,
    If I wait and order one on the US Play store and get my brother to bring it for Xmas will it work here with the frequency bands etc. as there seems to be two different versions!?

Cheers,
    M

Cellular Banding
    (D820) North America: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
    WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
    LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

(D821) Rest of World: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8
    LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    If I wait and order one on the US Play store and get my brother to bring it for Xmas will it work here with the frequency bands etc. as there seems to be two different versions!?

Cheers,
    M

Cellular Banding
    (D820) North America: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
    WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
    LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

(D821) Rest of World: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8
    LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20
    Lte won't work here, just 2g and 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Thanks mate, it's a pity they just didn't make one world phone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

What time yesterday did the UK play store start selling the phones at???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

^^^
    6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭robertdempsey

Right lads, This may help some of you.

As mentioned before I placed order at 6.30 yesterday for N5 White 32gb with tesco credit card. I did NOT get any email from google and tesco cc had no record of the order, the status was stuck at "pending"

.. about 30 min ago I cancelled the order via the google play site and immediately got an email from google saying "order cancelled.. any money taken will be transferred back.

.. Started from square one and made another order, this time n5 black 32gb and using my AIB master card. At first I did not receive any confirmation emails from google but I phoned AIB and they confirmed everything is going through on their side. Just as I hung up the phone I got an email from google saying "You've made a purchase on Google Play. You will not be charged until your order has been shipped...." which I assume is the email you were all getting yesterday.

Anyway the order is stuck at "pending" but I'm more hopefully with receipt of the confirmation email.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

How much is it for the 16gb version in euro from Google Play UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I got my email a few minutes after ordering it on the plays tore. Your best bet really is to ring your card issuer. I got a call shortly afterwards to ask if it was a fraudulent transaction. I'm with permanent tsb and there were quite a few of those transactions going through. You need to be sure it hasn't been cancelled by your bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

iDann wrote: »
    How much is it for the 16gb version in euro from Google Play UK?

£308.99 total. Delivered.

€380 Euro, give or take a Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

I rang Google Play support. I wish I had recorded the call - it was just gas. They must have been inundated with calls and they must be canvasing OAP out for their evening walk to man the phones.

I got a very polite gentle man on phone, who kept apologizing and putting me on hold after every question he asked - for instance he put me on hold to check my order only to come back because he forgot to ask me my email address... etc. It just went on for a few minutes, and he reckons my 'pending' order is of status 'submitted' which means 'all is fine, and will be processed in time' and then thinks the phone will be shipped out around November 8th (my order on play store shows 5th). Half the time he couldn't get the 'on-hold' to work, so I sat there listening him explaining my query to someone and getting responses back and then he repeats it to me... :) Finally he attempts to put me thru to the survey, can't figure out how to, curses 'oh blast' a few times, gets the survey going while he's still on the line, keeps trying and cursing without realising it.. comes on to apologies again, realises the survey is connected, apologies yet again, tries to disconnect but somehow launches another survey - now I have two automated survey voices asking me stuff and him trying to apologise... I just had to disconnect it. Blast!

positron wrote: »
    I rang Google Play support. I wish I had recorded the call - it was just gas. They must have been inundated with calls and they must be canvasing OAP out for their evening walk to man the phones.

I got a very polite gentle man on phone, who kept apologizing and putting me on hold after every question he asked - for instance he put me on hold to check my order only to come back because he forgot to ask me my email address... etc. It just went on for a few minutes, and he reckons my 'pending' order is of status 'submitted' which means 'all is fine, and will be processed in time' and then thinks the phone will be shipped out around November 8th (my order on play store shows 5th). Half the time he couldn't get the 'on-hold' to work, so I sat there listening him explaining my query to someone and getting responses back and then he repeats it to me... :) Finally he attempts to put me thru to the survey, can't figure out how to, curses 'oh blast' a few times, gets the survey going while he's still on the line, keeps trying and cursing without realising it.. comes on to apologies again, realises the survey is connected, apologies yet again, tries to disconnect but somehow launches another survey - now I have two automated survey voices asking me stuff and him trying to apologise... I just had to disconnect it. Blast!

That's the type of incompetence that is hard to get angry over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

5starpool wrote: »
    That's the type of incompetence that is hard to get angry over.

If my order hadnt already shipped I'd be more than confident they're not going to cop it's going to Ireland in that case:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fredotf2

Has anyone had a black 16gb Nexus 5 shipped yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Why wouldn't LTE work here? Some of those bands are in use by Meteor/eMobile already.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

Expansys sell the nexus 4 and it was under €300 up until recently. Don't see no reason why they wont sell the nexus 5. Could be an option?

http://www.expansys.ie/google-nexus-4-16gb-black-251312/

Lloyderz wrote: »
    Expansys sell the nexus 4 and it was under €300 up until recently. Don't see no reason why they wont sell the nexus 5. Could be an option?

http://www.expansys.ie/google-nexus-4-16gb-black-251312/
    An expensive alternative, for sure. They won't compete with Google Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Pretty sure you need money in there beforehand, so I'd get cracking on that...unless you have given them your cc details to auto debit the fee...

HOLY BATCRAP BATMAN IT SHIPPED!!!

and for the record irish credit card, motel user, newry address, home address with newry postcode and motel phone number in the config...

ordered at 8.30ish last night...

as a virgin user of the motel thing. i have no money in the pot there, i am guessing i get an email on that at some point or do i need to do that now..

got an email and tracking id ..woohoo...

ps patently racist:- mine is 32bg white...

• Advertisement

Don't Parcel Motel still give the first 2 stays for free? If so, don't worry about it, you should have €7 in the pot to begin with.

Advertisement