Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

god's toy wrote: »
    And so much new running blotware it makes all the upgrades null and void. I bet this year's nexus 4 will run rings around the S5 in terms of day today use and slickness.

I think there was a time when android needed a little customization by device manufacturers, just to pretty it up a little. But since android 4 i don't think there's been any need to customize. I've had an HTC Hero and i'm now on a HTC Sensation XL, although I've loved both, i'm now a little sick of all of the UI customization because it seriously effects the performance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

new_maniac wrote: »
    I think there was a time when android needed a little customization by device manufacturers, just to pretty it up a little. But since android 4 i don't think there's been any need to customize. I've had an HTC Hero and i'm now on a HTC Sensation XL, although I've loved both, i'm now a little sick of all of the UI customization because it seriously effects the performance

This is true, Android only got its design **** together from 4.0 on wards, since then stock has been far better looking than anything custom from manufacturers.

This is true, Android only got its design **** together from 4.0 on wards, since then stock has been far better looking than anything custom from manufacturers.

I think that shows in manufacturers like Sony and Motorola, they seem to be moving more towards stock android and keeping customization to a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

okay, now that the apple 5S 5C announcement has been made focus now shifts back to this. id imagine the jury is still out on the iphones. it certainly wasn't an epic announcement and there is a serious smattering of "meh" about on the apple forums.

so will google get their act together and get enough supplies out there. the nexus 4 was a debacle for us in ireland with the amount of hoops we had to jump through to get one. i know, not googles fault, licences and copyright.

so if they can make this affordable and get a really nicely made phone with nice clean software well, then this could be the best phone to have. fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,851 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

emo72 wrote: »
    okay, now that the apple 5S 5C announcement has been made focus now shifts back to this. id imagine the jury is still out on the iphones. it certainly wasn't an epic announcement and there is a serious smattering of "meh" about on the apple forums.

so will google get their act together and get enough supplies out there. the nexus 4 was a debacle for us in ireland with the amount of hoops we had to jump through to get one. i know, not googles fault, licences and copyright.

so if they can make this affordable and get a really nicely made phone with nice clean software well, then this could be the best phone to have. fingers crossed

It'll likely perform below the new 5S in terms of testing scores, but it will be half the price, so some of that is to be expected. Sadly though I don't think the availability will be any better over here this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

emo72 wrote: »

It is Google's fault, it's nothing to do with licences or copyright, they simply choose not to sell it here as there's not enough margins from the play store here to make it worth their while shipping a cut cost device here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

It is Google's fault, it's nothing to do with licences or copyright, they simply choose not to sell it here as there's not enough margins from the play store here to make it worth their while shipping a cut cost device here

pity they didnt lump our deal in with the uk:(

its worth persevering though if you get one at a good price.

any idea when this might be announced anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It's sad to think they won't sell here, even if my N4 came from the Dublin office, sent over the the UK then back to NI before I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

god's toy wrote: »
    It's sad to think they won't sell here, even if my N4 came from the Dublin office, sent over the the UK then back to NI before I got it.

Billing was done in the Dublin office which is why it said it was being dispatched from there. The distribution centers are all in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You'd still wonder why they decided to make it more difficult for people to get their hands on the device though as time went on. I got my Nexus 10 without any hassle practically on launch. Routed via Parcel Motel, English address on my credit card etc... I bought it as simply as any other transaction on a site.

But months later when I went to buy the N4 for the OH, it was impossible to get, orders being cancelled etc... I ended up having to go via flubit.

If it's not worth their while financially to sell to Ireland I can see the point, but why block a work around that wasn't costing them anymore but they were gaining access to a market of additional customers.

Unless networks in Ireland were kicking up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Hopefully we'll get Devices on the Irish Play Store soon even if its coming from UK and we have to pay delivery or whatever. Its not much of an issue for me as my sister lives in England so can get it for me on her card any time and ship it over but I can see how frustrating it is for everyone else.

Uriel. wrote: »
    If it's not worth their while financially to sell to Ireland I can see the point, but why block a work around that wasn't costing them anymore but they were gaining access to a market of additional customers.

I don't really understand how it costs them money though...

1) Add product to Google Play Store
    2) Set Price
    3) Make Money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I don't really understand how it costs them money though...

1) Add product to Google Play Store
    2) Set Price
    3) Make Money

Costs around: Support/Returns/warranty/VAT collection costs/WEEE directive

Not making excuses and am as frustrated as us all with the hoops one must jump through to purchase.

Costs around: Support/Returns/warranty/VAT collection costs/WEEE directive

Not making excuses and am as frustrated as us all with the hoops one must jump through to purchase.

Fair enough, I didn't even realize all that was a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Different image has appeared in a Google Promo video.
    Picture is from MKBHD twitter account.
    BTRxWQHIQAAQoP5.png
    A Reddit user created a render from the FCC images and your snap...

Nexus-5-concept-640x581.png

As long as the price point is within my budget, i'm sold on it. The nexus is great because it's plain, simple, unadulterated android...so it runs like a boss

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

If I remember correctly I think that Google planned the launch date for the nexus 4 some time on early October last year but held off following the death of Steve jobs.

Maybe the nexus 5 will be announced early next month
    advertsfox wrote: »
    A Reddit user created a render from the FCC images and your snap...

Nexus-5-concept-640x581.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I won't be upgrading anyway. My N4 is still running buttery smooth, hoping for some funky new software features in kit kat though.

EGriff wrote: »
    I won't be upgrading anyway. My N4 is still running buttery smooth, hoping for some funky new software features in kit kat though.

When is Kit Kat being released?

• Advertisement

When is Kit Kat being released?

Whenever the phone launches I'd imagine. October sometime? Should be pushed to the N4 soon after that.

EGriff wrote: »
    Whenever the phone launches I'd imagine. October sometime? Should be pushed to the N4 soon after that.

Do you think they will continue the Nexus 4 for a while after releasing the Nexus 5?

Do you think they will continue the Nexus 4 for a while after releasing the Nexus 5?

Only where stock remains I'd imagine. I doubt there has been any production in recent times and you can see that it is being phased out.

Only where stock remains I'd imagine. I doubt there has been any production in recent times and you can see that it is being phased out.

Although its not the most up to date phone now, the Nexus 4 is still a great bit of kit for all the cash they want for it

Although its not the most up to date phone now, the Nexus 4 is still a great bit of kit for all the cash they want for it

I don't disagree. But generally they (Google) move on relatively quickly. Google/Android is not like Apple where a template is stuck in a manufacturing/assembly plant and churned out for years on end. Google, as well as seeking new hardware variants, also regularly move to new manufacturers (e.g. Samsung to LG) so they don't have the desire to keep older phones pumping out. There's also brand image and marketing reasons behind this too of course.

I don't disagree. But generally they (Google) move on relatively quickly. Google/Android is not like Apple where a template is stuck in a manufacturing/assembly plant and churned out for years on end. Google, as well as seeking new hardware variants, also regularly move to new manufacturers (e.g. Samsung to LG) so they don't have the desire to keep older phones pumping out. There's also brand image and marketing reasons behind this too of course.

I love the fact that they use different manufactures, especially the like of LG, who don't get as much of a show as the likes of Samsung or HTC do

• Subscribers Posts: 32,851 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I would guess they will only sell off remaining stock. I can't imagine they will sell any N4 devices once the N5 is announced. I think they discontinued the GN once the N4 was announced, even though that was made by a different manufacturer.

The recent price drop seems like they are trying to get rid of stock before the N5 comes out, I imagine they like to keep it simple: 1 phone, 2 tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

They stopped selling the Samsung Nexus phone pretty quickly when the N4 was launched.
    Is the old model N7 still on the play store? I wouldnt expect them to keep selling the N4 once it's replacement is launched.

• Advertisement

They stopped selling the Samsung Nexus phone pretty quickly when the N4 was launched.
    Is the old model N7 still on the play store? I wouldnt expect them to keep selling the N4 once it's replacement is launched.
    Yep the galaxy nexus was discontinued pretty quickly after N4 release.. Apart from the other reasons above it must be remembered that the nexus phones are sold at a lower price point without much cutting back on features. It is questionable as to what profit Google make (if any) on them. Reducing prices for an old model and keeping production going would just lead to financial losses.

Advertisement