Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

As a side question, if I was to wait until this is on amazon and get it delivered can I get it shipped to my parcel motel address up North and then on to my local collection point for much cheaper than the delivery cost to my house? Sorry if its a basic question, not overly familiar with parcel motel. Still have my two free stays.
    NeirBot wrote: »
    It should be cheaper to use Parcel Motel than get it shipped to your house as Amazon usually have free delivery to the UK, also Amazon won't ship any electronics to Ireland so you have to use the PM address in belfast.. PM is a brilliant service!
    If its actually Amazon (UK) rather than a marketplace seller then Amazon will ship at least some electronics to Ireland and if its over something like £25 it'll be free. I've had printers, drobos, wireless headsets & a tv all delivered to my door from Amazon so if they offer the Nexus 5 then it'd be easier to have it sent directly rather than going the PM route; at least you wouldn't have to leave the house to get it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I ordered and got my Nexus 4 fine.

But now I'm trying to order my Nexus 5. I can get onto the store and add the phone to my basket (my work IP is set to UK so that's not a problem). But once I sign into my gmail account it says not available for my location.

I have my debit card added with the PM address. Home address is also PM address in Antrim. Even have my UK number in. Deleted any signs of my Dublin address. I have cleared cache/history and even used other browsers, still nothing. What am I missing? Or does it just take a few hours to change or something??

Cheers

I was the same, but I setup a new gmail account and added card etc and used UK IP then I was able to add it to basket and get to the purchase screen. Couldn't muster the courage to pick purchase, I want to make sure it's worth the upgrade from the Nexus 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

What's the total price in euro for getting one of these, including shipping, Parcel Motel fees, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Slaanesh wrote: »
    I was the same, but I setup a new gmail account and added card etc and used UK IP then I was able to add it to basket and get to the purchase screen. Couldn't muster the courage to pick purchase, I want to make sure it's worth the upgrade from the Nexus 4.

Ye I was considering just making a new account. But I vaguely remember people saying around the time of the N4 that creating a new raised some flags and before it would be confirmed your account needed to be verified or something, not sure on that though. May have to just do it anyway.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

seanp_25 wrote: »
    What's the total price in euro for getting one of these, including shipping, Parcel Motel fees, etc.?

I was billed €422.57 from Google and €3.50 from Parcel Motel for a Black 32gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

i was going to take a trip up north and buy it through CPW but just saw their big price increase today, too rich for my blood so think i'll take my chances with the google play route.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

The black 32gb is now showing "We are out of inventory. Please check back soon. ", just ordered it an hour earlier so glad I was able to get it in just in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Picked mine up this morning, rooted and apps installed, just need to get the micro SIM off Meteor now! :cool:
    Lads, feck the Meteor route if there's a queue in the shop, Carphone Warehouse have a SIM card punch that will turn your normal SIM into a micro SIM qucik as a flash! (Grafton st. had it but probably other shops too)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭robertdempsey

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Picked mine up this morning, rooted and apps installed, just need to get the micro SIM off Meteor now! :cool:
    Very nice.

vR88ffl.jpg

So long SGS2, you were a brave soldier! *salutes*

Hey. Why did you root the phone?
    I know what root does I'm just wondering if everyone needs to root their UK phones in order for them to work!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

I know what root does I'm just wondering if everyone needs to root their UK phones in order for them to work!

Thanks

I am wondering the same....now that I am away from Samsung and TouchWiz I am never rooting and messing with an Android phone or tablet again.....sick to the back teeth of all the drama with it to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It will work without root access. Some people like root for apps that require it (Ad blockers for example)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thanks

The phones will work fine without root, but it's obviously easier to root a phone before you use it than afterwards as it deletes everything from the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Wondering also the benefits of rooting a nexus also, dont get me wrong, I fully understand rooting, and have rooted every android I've ever had, but it was only to run CM and get a near enough vanilla experience and the latest version of android with nightlies etc, Im reluctant to root my N5, there is no killer must have root app I need, I just like the latest updates and a vanilla experience !!

I have a giggle to myself when I read of Nexus users flashing random xda roms they find !

eta: AdBlocker is a good reason !!

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Wondering also the benefits of rooting a nexus also, dont get me wrong, I fully understand rooting, and have rooted every android I've ever had, but it was only to run CM and get a near enough vanilla experience and the latest version of android with nightlies etc, Im reluctant to root my N5, there is no killer must have root app I need, I just like the latest updates and a vanilla experience !!

I have a giggle to myself when I read of Nexus users flashing random xda roms they find !

Could not agree with you more mate!

Mark

5starpool wrote: »
    The phones will work fine without root, but it's obviously easier to root a phone before you use it than afterwards as it deletes everything from the phone.

Grand job. I was just wondering. I was running cm10 before and like the other person who commented before is sick of it all. I think I'll be sticking with non root ... But ad free would also be nice lol.

Thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've had nexus devices for a couple of years now and never felt the need to root although there are certain things that I wouldn't mind that you can only get with root, but I am happy enough with vanilla android.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Stuxnet wrote: »

I must say, there are a few little mods and things from the CN version I was running on my S3 that I miss.

I'm gonna hold off on rooting it for a while, but I'd say I'll root it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

checked in at 1507, i've a feeling i could be at my local forecourt in my dressing gown in the wee hours of tomorrow morning!
    haven't been this excited about a phone since i got my 1st one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kevob33

Hi everyone,

Last year I traveled to Belfast to buy the Nexus 4 sim free from The Carphone Warehouse and was planning on doing the same this week with the Nexus 5. However, today I looked at The Carphone Warehouse's website and the price has suddenly been increased from £295 to £429 for the white 16gb model. I don't know the reason behind this and am certainly not paying that price.

(Apologies if any of this has already been a topic of discussion but I haven't read through this thread for a while now and am in too much of a rush to do so now.)

So all I'm asking is for someone to write out a quick step-by-step guide to what needs to be done to successfully order a Nexus 5 through Google Play from Ireland using the method with Parcel Motel, changing billing address etc. Again apologies if this has already been done in this thread, and if so could someone at least let me know the page that this information is on.

Thank you for any help in advance,

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

kevob33 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Last year I traveled to Belfast to buy the Nexus 4 sim free from The Carphone Warehouse and was planning on doing the same this week with the Nexus 5. However, today I looked at The Carphone Warehouse's website and the price has suddenly been increased from £295 to £429 for the white 16gb model. I don't know the reason behind this and am certainly not paying that price.

(Apologies if any of this has already been a topic of discussion but I haven't read through this thread for a while now and am in too much of a rush to do so now.)

So all I'm asking is for someone to write out a quick step-by-step guide to what needs to be done to successfully order a Nexus 5 through Google Play from Ireland using the method with Parcel Motel, changing billing address etc. Again apologies if this has already been done in this thread, and if so could someone at least let me know the page that this information is on.

Thank you for any help in advance,

Kev

Same as the Nexus 4 ordering process:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056878068

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

I'm in the game:
    Ordered last night (Monday 4th) with a new Google account. When I ordered it said delivery 2-3 weeks.
    Set PM address as shipping & Billing for my BOI VISA Debit card.
    Currently it's still in Pending.

Just changed to shipped.

Well hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Just changed to shipped.

Size/model ?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Well hello!

And so the long nights begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Thanks
    What the lads said above, AdAway, and also I like to have root access for the File Manager, and an app called Datasync. :)
    It worked fine before I rooted!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Just changed to shipped.

Please tell me it was for a 32gb black? :D

Hoping it'll ship that fast for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

5starpool wrote: »
    You should get your mate to buy one through the play store for you and give him the money then. It will be cheaper by a nice bit, especially since the 16gb one is showing up as £429 now on the CPW homepage. It is £299 on the play store for the same model, and you can get the 32gb one for £339.

just copped that, it was 295 yesterday. they must have copped on to what people are doing.

no bother, i'll just use tunnelbear/parcelmotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Please tell me it was for a 32gb black? :D

Hoping it'll ship that fast for me.

I ordered the black 32gb on Thursday night and am still in "preorder"/pending.

I was emailing someone on Google Play customer care and he said it could take 2-3 weeks and there is a bit of a random element as to who gets their orders when creeping in due to warehouses scrambling to get all the orders out.

I'm hoping it sends out by the 8th like it said it would when I ordered it on the 31st but as long as it does send I'll be happy I suppose.

Still not going to stop my several times a day refreshing of email/play store to see if it is shipping though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BartSim

OK, guys. Here is another one who decided to try his luck buying this great smartphone straight from Google ;)
    TunnelBear & google play store uk & new google mail uk & some help from Parcel Motel :)
    I decided to use the same address for shipping and billing (with PM address). I also had to put a random uk phone number.

First I received a message that my order is on hold (I was using my AIB MasterCard), but after a call to customer service I've managed to update my payment in Google Wallet. After that I received another e-mail from Google saying that I have successfully updated my payment info.
    Now I see new status as a "pending".

Ah, and I ordered the black, 32GB N5 today, at 5:26AM. Let's see If I'm really lucky - this is my first time ever, using PM & Google Play UK services ;)

Thanks guys for all Your help! And I thank U all later if I'll finally receive my N5. Fingers crossed ;)

BTW, I have another Nexus device - my great N7 tablet (2013) and I'm really pleased to have it.

• Advertisement

BartSim wrote: »
    OK, guys. Here is another one who decided to try his luck buying this great smartphone straight from Google ;)
    TunnelBear & google play store uk & new google mail uk & some help from Parcel Motel :)
    I decided to use the same address for shipping and billing (with PM address). I also had to put a random uk phone number.

First I received a message that my order is on hold (I was using my AIB MasterCard), but after a call to customer service I've managed to update my payment in Google Wallet. After that I received another e-mail from Google saying that I have successfully updated my payment info.
    Now I see new status as a "pending".

Ah, and I ordered the black, 32GB N5 today, at 5:26AM. Let's see If I'm really lucky - this is my first time ever, using PM & Google Play UK services ;)

Thanks guys for all Your help! And I thank U all later if I'll finally receive my N5. Fingers crossed ;)

BTW, I have another Nexus device - my great N7 tablet (2013) and I'm really pleased to have it.

I pretty much done word for word what you done and had the issue with the bank as well that I sorted and then updated the order and yet it's still in 'Pending' today, days later :-( I'm really trying hard to get it cancelled outright as I now have a Nexus 5 but can't open and use it until I'm sure the original bleedin' order is fully cancelled!!

Advertisement