Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

So maybe I missed the memo but wheres Google Now gone too?

I'm swiping over to the left but nothings coming up. swiping up starts the google search but no settings in there... where did I go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

god's toy wrote: »
    So maybe I missed the memo but wheres Google Now gone too?

I'm swiping over to the left but nothings coming up. swiping up starts the google search but no settings in there... where did I go wrong?

I think you have to turn it on first mate. Swipe up from home screen then in settings turn it on.......

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-add-and-arrange-home-screens-android-44-kitkat

madmoe wrote: »
    I think you have to turn it on first mate. Swipe up from home screen then in settings turn it on.......

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-add-and-arrange-home-screens-android-44-kitkat

Did that. No settings, no little dots like on nexus 4. Odd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

god's toy wrote: »
    Did that. No settings, no little dots like on nexus 4. Odd

Go into the Google settings app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Or long press on the home screen, click settings and switch on Google Now. Change voice to English (US) if you want to activate OK Google.

• Advertisement

polaris68 wrote: »
    Or long press on the home screen, click settings and switch on Google Now. Change voice to English (US) if you want to activate OK Google.

Ah that's where its hiding! thanks, sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭razor12345

Anyone thinking of getting their nexus 5 insured? and who may offer mobile phone cover

razor12345 wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of getting their nexus 5 insured? and who may offer mobile phone cover

I rang Vodafone today and they told me they didn't need to change the phone on the system (it wasn't on it anyway) and that if anything does happen to it and it can't be repaired the replacement will be a phone of similar value.

I'm interested in finding out the answer to this one myself as if that's the case I'd rather insure it with someone else (or possibly take the risk and not insure it at all).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I've an upgrade due, is this going to any Irish carriers? Did the N4?

Not at the moment at least. Do the sums, you might be able to get a sim only package with one bought outright cheaper than getting an upgrade of something else on contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

This is my last crappy phone image for a while :D

279023.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Was hoping to get one in cpw in England over the weekend but not with the price hike so after biting the bullet and set up parcel motel, has anyone ordered via tunnelbear on their phone? Is it safe enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BartSim

I pretty much done word for word what you done and had the issue with the bank as well that I sorted and then updated the order and yet it's still in 'Pending' today, days later :-( I'm really trying hard to get it cancelled outright as I now have a Nexus 5 but can't open and use it until I'm sure the original bleedin' order is fully cancelled!!

Well, I'm a patient person, so I don't mind waiting a bit longer - even if it is 2-3 weeks. I only hope to get this great smartphone and if I like it I'll keep it for the next two years ;). Now I'm a (pretty) happy user of Galaxy S3 (custom rom, different kernel & framework and pure-android-experience-like theme), but I miss clean JB (+ KitKat :P) look and feel icon6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭beardo81

Few reviews have mentioned the speaker sound quality is quite bad, what do you guys reckon? I know it wouldn't be up to the HTC One standards but is it really dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Can someone tell me how the camera and speakers compare to other competing phones, does the phone have a receiver for controlling the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

positron wrote: »
    Forger the Verge, here's a proper review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4OicFhI9xo#t=990

Engadget is very positive!

Nexus 5 review: the best phone $350 can buy

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

For anyone thinking of ordering from carphonewarehouse uk, even if the price goes back down:

Ordered a white 16GB from them last Thurs, shipping to a friend in London. Got a mail on Saturday to say they were "having trouble charging my card". Rang bank, no trouble on their end, in fact CPW had repeatedly charged then cancelled the card resulting in locking it.

Tried to ring CPW customer care, hung up after 20 minutes on hold. Tried again that afternoon, same problem, the line costs a lot as well as its UK. Sent them an email to cancel the order, still haven't heard back. There's others on twitter with similar experiences it seems.

Finally, ordered from the play store yesterday with tunnelbear/parcel motel like I should have done in the first place. It shipped the same day!

Tl;Dr avoid cpw, tunnelbear works

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

sugarman wrote: »
    Feck it anyway, went to order a black one there after thinking it over past few hours. 2-3 week wait for stock on both 16&32gb models. Really dont like the white:(
    Read the thread. Mine said that when I ordered it on Sunday too, It's now in Belfast.

Read the thread. Mine said that when I ordered it on Sunday too, It's now in Belfast.

Curious.....did you get any emails at all from Google or did it say 'Pending' all the time? Mine is STILL in pending status....WTF!? From the way I read it on here some people's order seems to be the same (as in a 'Pending' status) and then they just get notification that it's in Belfast....or am I reading it wrong?

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Got an email in the early hours of the morning saying Google had cancelled my order.

So **** them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

lil_lisa wrote: »
    This is my last crappy phone image for a while :D
    Oh god at first I thought the reflection of the phone was a crack in the screen, NOOOOOO! :eek:
    Haha, the horror.

R28 wrote: »
    Got an email in the early hours of the morning saying Google had cancelled my order.

So **** them anyway.

Sorry to hear that mate.....when did your initial order go in? I know it's awful but I wish I was in your shoes!! I just want OUT of this now.....it's been way way too much hassle and anxiety to be honest......I went out and paid someone off Adverts.ie for one and now I want to open it and play with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Curious.....did you get any emails at all from Google or did it say 'Pending' all the time? Mine is STILL in pending status....WTF!? From the way I read it on here some people's order seems to be the same (as in a 'Pending' status) and then they just get notification that it's in Belfast....or am I reading it wrong?

I didn't get an email until it was marked shipped. It changed from "Pending" to "Shipped" the next day. I ordered at 21:00 Sunday and it changed to shipped at 17:00 Monday. I hear that some peoples orders are shipping faster than most, and it's kind of a "luck" situation.

Sorry to hear that mate.....when did your initial order go in? I know it's awful but I wish I was in your shoes!! I just want OUT of this now.....it's been way way too much hassle and anxiety to be honest......I went out and paid someone off Adverts.ie for one and now I want to open it and play with it!!

Thursday evening. I was even emailing Google Play support and they were saying there was nothing wrong with my order. Then at 1am last night it is just cancelled.

I still want the phone, but a) I am slightly pissed off and don't want to go through that rigamarole again and b) the phone that I ordered black 32gb is now out of stock completely.

If you go and change some of your card details in Google Wallet that should make the order not go through.

R28 wrote: »
    Thursday evening. I was even emailing Google Play support and they were saying there was nothing wrong with my order. Then at 1am last night it is just cancelled.

I still want the phone, but a) I am slightly pissed off and don't want to go through that rigamarole again and b) the phone that I ordered black 32gb is now out of stock completely.

If you go and change some of your card details in Google Wallet that should make the order not go through.

Yep mate, I removed the original card I ordered with then added another and removed that and have tried adding random ones in here and there and it's still 'Pending' :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

For those still struggling to get one. I got a Black 16gig for the missus. She says the screen is too big:mad:
    Its basically been charged, turned on, and then refused by the bloody fussiest women I know!
    So, I can pass it on at cost to a boardsie, will be putting it on adverts too for about 20 extra, but again, for a fellow boardsie, you can have it at cost.
    Just pm me, first come first serve....

WOMEN:mad:

bidiots wrote: »
    For those still struggling to get one. I got a Black 16gig for the missus. She says the screen is too big:mad:
    Its basically been charged, turned on, and then refused by the bloody fussiest women I know!
    So, I can pass it on at cost to a boardsie, will be putting it on adverts too for about 20 extra, but again, for a fellow boardsie, you can have it at cost.

I'll take it off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

How much is it? Ii might be I interested

• Advertisement

My work colleague will take it....I had originally ordered two for us. Now that the order is in limbo he is stuck as well!

Advertisement