Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Have one on adverts for 465. Think I am over paying chaps? 32 gb?

Mine cost about €425 with Parcel Motel and conversion fees so it's not way off the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah thought that. And I get the thing tomorrow so happy enough. *prays its not faulty*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Yeah thought that. And I get the thing tomorrow so happy enough. *prays its not faulty*

Should be fine, that price isn't excessive considering someone had to go through the motions getting it etc.

Hopefully checking into the owners thread tomorrow so. O does it say on the box the capacity it is? 16 or 32?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Yep, and just to be sure turn on check the storage.

• Advertisement

Yep, and just to be sure turn on check the storage.

Box is sealed so.presumably the battery won't be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

if anybody looking to get rid of a black 16gb, id be all over that!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Box is sealed so.presumably the battery won't be charged.

It should have a fair bit of charge in it, my Nexus 4 did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Took the leap and ordered 32g white! Got receipt email straight away and shipping in 3 to 4 days fingers crossed!

Ah he seems straight up. Going to his house, have his name and number and he's giving me the delivery thing. Said he'd send me the recipet tomorrow too. Plus he sold a 16gb during the week with great feedback. **** it ill take the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I'll be in Manchester on Tuesday and am aware that CPW only do contract now, is there anywhere else it can be picked up reasonably or is it solely Google Play now. CBA going through all that atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Sorry if its been asked but is there any reason why the Nexus 5 isn't being sold in the Republic? Judging by this thread there would appear to be a significant demand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Sorry if its been asked but is there any reason why the Nexus 5 isn't being sold in the Republic? Judging by this thread there would appear to be a significant demand for it.

There would be some demand for it here, but keep in mind that this thread is all about the Nexus 5 and ordering process, so of course it makes it seem as if the demand is absolutely massive.

Ireland is just one of many countries we can't buy the Nexus 5 directly, which is partly down to Google (mostly them) but also partly down to LG.

I have noticed that the countries which can buy the Nexus 5 from Play, tend to also have full Google Play access including movies and magazines, which we do not. I'd imagine this has something to do with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sonics2k wrote: »
    There would be some demand for it here, but keep in mind that this thread is all about the Nexus 5 and ordering process, so of course it makes it seem as if the demand is absolutely massive.

Ireland is just one of many countries we can't buy the Nexus 5 directly, which is partly down to Google (mostly them) but also partly down to LG.

I have noticed that the countries which can buy the Nexus 5 from Play, tend to also have full Google Play access including movies and magazines, which we do not. I'd imagine this has something to do with it.
    Yeah as far as I'm aware the device is sold at or under cost so they hope to make the money back off you by buying you into their ecosystem. Annoys me though the fact we can't buy it, their european HQ is here but it seems all we are to google is a tax break. I noticed also that uk orders ship from dublin as do the german ones. I'd nearly make a petition online to beg them to bring the device here but I'm not sure if people would actually be willing to sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Actually, Italy sells devices but yet only has Apps, Music and Books in its play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

My order got cancelled today. Ordered it 2 days ago. Used Parcel Motel as shipping address and my own as billing adders with parcel motel post code.

Annoyed. Any one suggest what i did wrong. Have an s2 at the moment and its around 3 years old nearly at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

I just had a check on the Handtec website there (http://www.handtec.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=nexus+5), and it seems to be coming close enough to the price from the Google Store. Just in case anyone was fed up with the Google Play Store method it does seem to be an acceptable alternative. I know it was mentioned before by someone else but if it works why not do it rather than get the run around from Google with cancelled orders and authorising payments from the bank. Unless I'm mistaken and there is something negative about buying from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Barti wrote: »
    I just had a check on the Handtec website there (http://www.handtec.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=nexus+5), and it seems to be coming close enough to the price from the Google Store. Just in case anyone was fed up with the Google Play Store method it does seem to be an acceptable alternative. I know it was mentioned before by someone else but if it works why not do it rather than get the run around from Google with cancelled orders and authorising payments from the bank. Unless I'm mistaken and there is something negative about buying from them?

Thats 70 Quid sterling more, way too much for the exact same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I'd nearly make a petition online to beg them to bring the device here but I'm not sure if people would actually be willing to sign it.

Google is a business. Petition them all you want, they are not obliged to pay you any heed. If and when there is a sustainable market, Google will launch Devices here. Their devices do not ship from Dublin, they ship from Birmingham - I've bought an N5 and an N7 in the last few weeks so I can tell you that with absolute certainty. They are sold by a company registered in Dublin.

So what if all they see us as is a tax break? They wouldn't be the only one and we've made it our national policy to welcome these companies with open arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Anyone with a shipment date of 11/22/13 had theirs ship early at all? I've been pending since November 5th....hoping they'll dispatch earlier than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Very sneaky the way Handtec have the phone priced the same as Google ex. VAT. As a VAT registered person I'm wondering if I could buy one VAT free as it would be used for work..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Dave147 wrote: »
    Very sneaky the way Handtec have the phone priced the same as Google ex. VAT. As a VAT registered person I'm wondering if I could buy one VAT free as it would be used for work..

Only if they are not Irish VAT registered, if they are you must pay it and can claim back

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Anyone with a shipment date of 11/22/13 had theirs ship early at all? I've been pending since November 5th....hoping they'll dispatch earlier than that.

ordered mine on the 5th with that shipment date, picked it up from my parcel motel in santry yesterday. between shipping and pick-up was only a couple of days so hopefully you won't have too long to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 n0rmal

loadwire wrote: »
    ordered mine on the 5th with that shipment date, picked it up from my parcel motel in santry yesterday. between shipping and pick-up was only a couple of days so hopefully you won't have too long to wait.

I ordered on the 5th and it's still pending. Got no confirmation whatsoever, but the money has already moved out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Mine is still leaves warehouse on the 22/11 the hold they put on the funds has worn off now and no actual money was taken from my account. I'm guessing they will try for the funds again come shipping time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 onlydave

Canceled for a second time, might have to go for a company phone from handtec. Really don't want to be 400+ euro for this... kinda defeats the whole purpose.. very frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

\o/ got mine today from my friend.

win.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

n0rmal wrote: »
    I ordered on the 5th and it's still pending. Got no confirmation whatsoever, but the money has already moved out :(

weird...i think the money being taken is a good sign that they have processed your order - though i know nothing came out of my account until after it had been shipped and signed for (with email and order status reflecting that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Had to put in a replacement order for mine today due to some dead pixels. The one on the phone said it would take 3-5 working days but that may just have been what's in her script and not necessarily have any basis in reality.

Advertisement