Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

fungie wrote: »
    I found the email a bit unclear. So I wait until the new one arrives before posting the old one?

This was what the screen was like upon arrival

Christ thats very bad alright! Yeah you're supposed to wait until you receive the replacement before posting off the faulty one; they said to me that there'll be a packing slip or something like that that'll come in the box with the new one. One strange thing is though they also said, in the email I think, that if the new phone hasnt arrived in 5 days to contact them but I've got a month to wait before it'll even ship so I don't know what they hell they're doing with their internal systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just noticed this on Argos UK.
    Price looks crap but interesting that they are stocking
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1478277.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just checked this morning and the total cost using ParcelMotel it came to about EUR 425 for the 32GB version. Edit: from Google UK Play Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just checked this morning and the total cost using ParcelMotel it came to about EUR 425 for the 32GB version.

From where?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

god's toy wrote: »
    From where?

Play Store UK at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Play Store UK at that price.

Yep.
    Mine came to 423.50

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Ordered got bloody cancelled again. Getting a work colleauge to order for me in Northern Ireland delivered to him and I'll sort it out.
    Did anyone with AIB get it in the end.

I used AIB debit card.
    No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭christyden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Why are people linking to Handtec? They're charging substantially more for the Nexus than the Play Store, enough that it defeats the purpose of Google selling it cheap. €430 for the 16GB? Madness when you can get a HTC One(32GB) or a S4 (expandable storage) for the same or not much more. Unless you really want a Nexus you'd be mad to pay that much for the 16GB model.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Ordered Friday was signed for in Belfast an hour ago, what are chances of having it tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ordered Friday was signed for in Belfast an hour ago, what are chances of having it tonight?

If you're in Dublin, high. Otherwise, I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

My sister ordered one from the German Play store (she lives in Germany) on Monday. But she still hasn't received a confirmation email. She used her Irish credit card. Is that a bad sign or normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

If I bought one of these in the states and posted it as a gift to Ireland, would it avoid import duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

If I bought one of these in the states and posted it as a gift to Ireland, would it avoid import duty?

Depends on whether it's intercepted by customs or not.

The other aspect is that the US uses different 4G frequencies from the European one. So 4G would not work properly over here.

If you're in Dublin, high. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Still nothing on parcel motel about, it's saying was delivered by parcel force at lunchtime, is it normal that it's not updated yet? I'm getting impatient

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Mezcita wrote: »
    Depends on whether it's intercepted by customs or not.

The other aspect is that the US uses different 4G frequencies from the European one. So 4G would not work properly over here.

Thanks for that. I just recall years back, people use to write gift on the package in order to avoid the duty. Not sure if that still applies though.I imagine customs are alot more stringent these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Post phone and box separate. Add note with phone that your lost phone was found in your hotel room and is being returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

A day is alright - most won't expect anymore. I'm a heavy user and get a day without an issue. Coming from a HTC One and Note 3 the difference isn't all that much. Certainly an improvement on the Nexus 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Had over a day myself, charged Monday night and had to charge last night (was down to ~5%)

Coming from a 4400mah in the sgs3 tho it's a bit of a pain, but I have usb cables all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, the battery won't win any prizes, but I have plenty of charging options, so while not ideal is not my priority. Hopefully battery tech can take a huge leap soon and give multiple days in normal battery sizes for phones with large bright screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Coming from an SGS3, all I can say is wow! The difference is incredible. The UI is much quicker/smoother. I would normally do a factory reset on my SGS3 every few months to keep the UI anyway usable.
    Does switching to ART from Dalvik make any noticeable difference btw?

Have not heard about this at all. Seems a huge change:

Android Runtime – ART

Android 4.4, select either Dalvik or ART app runtimeGoogle knows all this about Dalvik, of course, which is why it’s been working on its replacement — Android Runtime (ART) — for more than two years. An early version of ART is included with Android 4.4 and can be enabled in Settings > Developer Options > Select Runtime.

ART straddles an interesting mid-ground between compiled and interpreted code, called ahead-of-time (AOT) compilation. Currently with Android apps, they are interpreted at runtime (using the JIT), every time you open them up. This is slow. (iOS apps, by comparison, are compiled native code, which is much faster.) With ART enabled, each Android app is compiled to native code when you install it. Then, when it’s time to run the app, it performs with all the alacrity of a native app.

It obviously takes some time to perform the AOT compilation at install time, but the long-term gains from apps that load and run faster will easily make up for it. You probably won’t even notice the AOT compilation of small apps; but for larger apps, we’re talking about a noticeable delay. If you switch an existing device from Dalvik to ART, you’re talking about a wait time of a few minutes while Android performs AOT for all your installed apps.

The main advantage of ART is that it allows Android developers to continue writing the exact same code, and having their apps work across a wide range of hardware specs and form factors — but now their apps will now run significantly faster, feel more responsive, and your device’s battery life should improve. Early testing indicates that ART is twice as fast as Dalvik. ART’s compiled code should also perform more consistently than JIT Dalvik, too, reducing UI latency and stuttering. The biggest gains will probably be for computationally intensive apps, such as photo and video editors, but if this early build of ART is anything to go by, there should be significant improvements across the board. ART could be change that finally makes Android as responsive and snappy feeling as iOS.

There’s no timeline for the official introduction of ART, but given that Google has been working on it for a couple of years, and that the implementation in Android 4.4 feels quite mature, it’s probably not that far away. It will probably be a headline feature in Android 4.5 — or more likely, given the scale of the change, Android 5.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I have heard that WhatsApp doesn't install / work when using ART for some reason so if you use WhatsApp you might want to hold off switching runtime.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

JohnK wrote: »
    I have heard that WhatsApp doesn't install / work when using ART for some reason so if you use WhatsApp you might want to hold off switching runtime.

You can always switch back if an app you use doesn't work with it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2525044

They are claiming that Google are at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

http://www.androidauthority.com/art-vs-dalvik-315874/

Not much of a noticeable difference. Still early stages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I've had issues with Whatsapp since I put it on my Nexus 5. I have not changed any of the developer settings to enable ART?
    I've unintalled it and reinstalled it 3 times and so far its not crashed on the third reinstall. So far.
    I think the issues may be general not ART related.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Anyone have any ideas or hear anything about when the Black versions would be back in stock. Phone broke so really need one, but at the moment the Play Store is saying 4-5 weeks, very ambiguous. I know the White is available to ship on the 22nd but it's not really my thing

• Advertisement

When I was looking Friday black 32g was estimated 11 dec so went for white and ill throw a black cover on it. Mines been sittin in Belfast since yesterday was only updated today when I got onto them.

Advertisement