Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,851 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

My brother is going to New York for a trip in November. I'm hoping the nexus 5 will be out by then. Question: Will a phone bought over there work here? I'm thinking with the dollar and all it would work out at a fantastic deal if it will be compatible

The likes of Best Buy often stock these devices, but he will not be able to buy direct from google in the states unless he has a US credit card and shipping address, even if stock issues allow for ordering. If best buy have some in stock when he is there though you *should* be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Will this be unavailable in Ireland like the N4? I was close to pulling the trigger on the N4 earlier this month but I said I'd hold out for the N5. Although if its going to be 400 euro + I might re think that.

Will this be unavailable in Ireland like the N4? I was close to pulling the trigger on the N4 earlier this month but I said I'd hold out for the N5. Although if its going to be 400 euro + I might re think that.

It will not be directly available in Ireland unless there is a change to things in the next few weeks unfortunately. Hopefully the 16gb version will be available via the UK though for around €350, which would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yes and no. 2G and 3G will work fine.
    The leaked manual has the LTE bands listed here. LTE bands 2/4/5/17/25/26/41 supported. That doesn't bold well for Ireland.

Ireland will use the LTE bands 3/8/20, so the US Nexus 5 won't be able to do 4G here.

Perhaps someone else can correct me or back up the above.
    advertsfox wrote: »
    Should be perfectly fine, see the spec from the leaked manual.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_5-5705.php

5starpool wrote: »
    The likes of Best Buy often stock these devices, but he will not be able to buy direct from google in the states unless he has a US credit card and shipping address, even if stock issues allow for ordering. If best buy have some in stock when he is there though you *should* be good.

I live in Canada and was able to use my Irish credit card. All you need is a gmail account with Canada selected as your country and a Canadian shipping address.

• Advertisement

Sacramento wrote: »
    I live in Canada and was able to use my Irish credit card. All you need is a gmail account with Canada selected as your country and a Canadian shipping address.

From reading the N4 thread when people were trying to get their hands on that it's not foolproof that way either I think. What worked for 1 didn't work for another, etc. I hope to get someone in NI to buy the N5 for me and I'll give them the dosh. That's the plan anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

being said on twitter that this is going to be announced on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I hope to get someone in NI to buy the N5 for me and I'll give them the dosh. That's the plan anyhow.

That is my plan too - get him to order it with his N.I credit card and billing address, and get it posted to the Parcel Motel address for it to be sent to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

I have an english work credit card.
    Forgiveness is easier aquired than permission!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

being said on twitter that this is going to be announced on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Find that hard to believe (hope its true though) , dont Google tend to issue invitations to devs and media a while before launch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Wasn't the limited release countries not because of the limited stock. Read that Google wasn't anticipating the demand for the first Nexus phone, hence those limits. Doesn't seem to make sense that they would have a policy of not selling it in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Some new leaks here
    Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 Get the Hands-on Treatment – UI Tweaks Galore, New Pictures of the Phone Too
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/11/nexus-5-and-android-4-4-get-the-hands-on-treatment-ui-tweaks-galore-new-pictures-of-the-phone-too/

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

I'll just leave this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

I'll just leave this here.

oh dunno what to do. only got the 4 about a month ago in the sale. but i have "must have latest" disease:(

do yis think 4 will get the kitkat straight away? therefore mightnt need to upgrade for the hardware?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

emo72 wrote: »
    oh dunno what to do. only got the 4 about a month ago in the sale. but i have "must have latest" disease:(

do yis think 4 will get the kitkat straight away? therefore mightnt need to upgrade for the hardware?

The Nexus 4 will get 4.4. It might not be straight away but I doubt it would be more than a couple of days.

The Nexus 4 will get 4.4. It might not be straight away but I doubt it would be more than a couple of days.

a couple of days would be great. might order the 5 anyway, depends on the uk price. anything i order from the play store comes through for me through parcel motel, i dont question it, i see the hoops some people have to jump through.

the chase is half the craic;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Doesn't appear to be front facing speakers, since using the HTC one any phone without front facing speakers seams stupid.

That video is showing its running key lime pie in the settings. That can't be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It can be right as only the top brass in Google knew it was going to be called Kit Kat, the code monkeys were never told until it was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

If the Nexus 5 does get announced, as expected, on Tuesday, what kind of time lag will there be before availability to order in the US and UK? What is the typical time lag? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Fungus wrote: »
    If the Nexus 5 does get announced, as expected, on Tuesday, what kind of time lag will there be before availability to order in the US and UK? What is the typical time lag? Thanks.

I think the huge demand and it out of stock will be more of a problem if they manage to achieve a problem similar price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Will demand be that huge this time around? I can see a lot of N4 owners keep theirs another year and I don't think the N5 is going to have anything massive to tempt people who recently got an S4/HTC One/Z1.

EGriff wrote: »
    Will demand be that huge this time around? I can see a lot of N4 owners keep theirs another year and I don't think the N5 is going to have anything massive to tempt people who recently got an S4/HTC One/Z1.

It'll be even bigger imo. Lots of people (like me) were waiting for the next iteration and didn't get the N4, and the smartphone market is increasing all the time as well.

Demand will be higher, and supply will be higher, but will it be high enough? That's a different matter. Hopefully it will be, but I'd be surprised if there are enough to meet demand in the early weeks. The lower price ones will sell out earlier obviously.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I need one,I still have a Nexus S so my plan is if it is decent to buy immediately:)

I'm assuming if this is released (well, announced anyhow) tomorrow it will be a low key, press release thing rather than anything with fanfare? There would usually be press invites and so on for these type of things, especially given a new incremental version of Android as well. They are never in the apple category of 'look at us', but to have no event at all would be unusual I'd say. Was there a launch for the N4 last year? I thought there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I'm assuming if this is released (well, announced anyhow) tomorrow it will be a low key, press release thing rather than anything with fanfare? There would usually be press invites and so on for these type of things, especially given a new incremental version of Android as well. They are never in the apple category of 'look at us', but to have no event at all would be unusual I'd say. Was there a launch for the N4 last year? I thought there was.

That's what I'm thinking, its usually big enough event with invites going out a week or two before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Google seem to be getting all the free hype/advertisement/interest they need just from small "leaks". (kit-kat launch video being taken down etc)..

A small low key press release will spread faster than IBT etc can do a copy and paste, and Google know it.

Hoping not to sound like a fanboi, but I'd hope nexus buyers wouldn't need a big keynote launch full of press to be told how much they need this tech in their lives..

Could be totally wrong of course!!

The likes of us will obviously see all the leaks, but if this is released without some big event, the majority of phone users probably won't be aware of it, so while typical buyers of a nexus device will know that it is out, from Google's point of view, they are restricting the market somewhat. I bet quite a significant portion of people don't even know what a Nexus device is, even if they have heard the word used. As far as I'm concerned, the less people trying to get their hands on it the better, but still, seems like Google are missing a trick.

I certainly don't need fanfare, but if there is going to be some sort of event it won;t be tomorrow. Considering most of the major tech sources still have tomorrow pegged as the rumoured date though, there certainly won't be anything announced at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

To be honest I would love for the Nexus device program to not get any bigger. There is something to be said having that 'Inside track' feeling when I see a person with a Nexus 4 phone.

Whatever happens, I just wish we can get our hands on it without jumping around all those hoops like last time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Really need to upgrade from a gs3 so this is top of the list.

Advertisement