Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

JKGT wrote: »
    Go on give it a bash in the name of Nexus Science.....:-D

Hmm nooo.. Not going to unless i know for sure it works. Hey you can try for me!

Gooooo on, you know you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Have you checked the order status through the google play website?

In Play it says it will ships by 11 December 2013. Some others who ordered theirs last Thursday the 5th, the same day as I ordered, have had theirs shipped.

In Google Wallet it says Status Pending. I'm at day 3 so not too bad I suppose. With the Nexus 4 I had it in my hands within 3 days and that was also over a weekend.

I'll sit tight until I see something in Wallet or Play. It's out of my hands now, that's the part nobody likes.

If anyone gets a phone shipped I'd appreciate it if they could post up the delivery times. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Has anyone had the update to Android 4.1.1 pushed to their phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Has anyone had the update to Android 4.1.1 pushed to their phone?

I would hope not.... Maybe 4.4.1 though :-)

Not me anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Sorry meant that. Has anyone received this update to 4.4.1?
    Reganovski wrote: »
    I would hope not.... Maybe 4.4.1 though :-)

Not me anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Sorry meant that. Has anyone received this update to 4.4.1?

I got my update last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

Did you get 4.4.1 or 4.4.2? I didn't get any - still on 4.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

positron wrote: »
    Did you get 4.4.1 or 4.4.2? I didn't get any - still on 4.4.

Just checked 4.4.2 if you have any and blocking on switch it off to see if you get it

I don't have any ad blocks installed. No root either. A Google Engineer on Reddit explained how their staged roll out works:
    Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.

What the percentages mean is that when your device checks in, it has a 1% chance (for example) of being offered the OTA. If it doesn't (randomly) get an offer, it will never get an offer until the next batch.

IOW, once your device checks in and gets turned down, that's it until the next batch. Mashing on the "check for updates" button just causes your device to check in again, and get automatically turned down again. Think about how that makes your device feel! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE PHONES?!

That said, once the new batch does start, hitting that button does give you a new roll of the dice -- but once. Since devices usually only check in for system updates every 24 hours (I think? Certainly on a many-hours basis) this can get you your shot sooner than it would happen on its own.

So, mash away. :) Just be patient, and mashing on it more often than once or twice a day isn't going to gain you anything.

I guess I will try 'check update' again in a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

4.4.2 and Whatsapp working on ART so was able to switch over from davik.. all on the same day,

It's like a new phone!*

*possible placebo affect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

I got the update last night, my phone was rooted and I had an ad blocker installed

I need to reroot again!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I haven't had any luck with sideloading for some reason. Bit puzzled since I rooted via chainfire which just installs Super SU afaik, I can't think of other system settings that I would have changed.

The OTA update 'arrived' lastnight but failed for some reason ... I'll either wait for it again and pay more attention or do a factory reset and try sideloading again, that would be a pain though.

Darn, so it looks like I am not going to get in this batch of rollout either - probably next week now. :(

Darn, so it looks like I am not going to get in this batch of rollout either - probably next week now. :(

I am waiting on a N5 to be shipped. It is pending since last Thursday the day I ordered it. The shipping day is still "Leaves warehouse on 11 Dec 2013".

I have not heard from Play and my order is still pending. No email either.

Did you get an email or an update on Play or Wallet advising they would not be shipping your phone on the specified date?

Sorry strongback, I got my N5 almost 5-6 weeks ago, I was referring to the the Kitkat 4.4.2 rollout - sorry if it was confusing.

Sorry strongback, I got my N5 almost 5-6 weeks ago, I was referring to the the Kitkat 4.4.2 rollout - sorry if it was confusing.

No worries. I'm in the wondering will they or won't they send it to me phase? :(

I have a Nexus 4 though and received 4.4.2 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Got an email from parcel motel that the N5 was delivered.

In Google Play and Wallet the delivery status is still saying pending even though I have the phone in my hand.

There is no delivery tracking info available anywhere.

Anyway picked up the phone and the statement letter that came in the packaging says it was shipped the day I ordered it, last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Factory Images "hammerhead" for Nexus 5 (GSM/LTE)

4.4.2 (KOT49H)

MD5 fa3bdfbef24c25b48d4969e0925bc600

SHA-1 02006b9917ae3f470d29644023b7c843ec96aa03

---

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/hammerhead-kot49h-factory-02006b99.tgz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

strongback wrote: »
    Got an email from parcel motel that the N5 was delivered.

In Google Play and Wallet the delivery status is still saying pending even though I have the phone in my hand.

There is no delivery tracking info available anywhere.

Anyway picked up the phone and the statement letter that came in the packaging says it was shipped the day I ordered it, last Thursday.

Me too. A bit strange but just glad I have it now after many failed attempts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'm after getting 4.4.2 tonight; installed now and trying out ART.

Me too. A bit strange but just glad I have it now after many failed attempts.

Enjoy!

I bought it for the mrs for Christmas so it'll stay in the box till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Cheapest place to pick up a N5 outside of the Play store?? Amazon.co.uk??

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

amazon has free shipping but they charge you irish VAT so it works out at about 400e. It's about 370e direct from play inc shipping costs (16gb model).

Got 4.4.2, eventually! Deeelighted!

Also, has anyone tried the new 'Cover' lockscreen app? It's still beta, but looks the business.

https://www.coverscreen.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

My Nexus 5 got wet earlier today - just a tiny bit in the pocket of my supposedly waterproof jacket. And it's not responding. I have put it inside a bag of rice hoping it would fix itself... fingers crossed... Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭robertdempsey

My Nexus 5 got wet earlier today - just a tiny bit in the pocket of my supposedly waterproof jacket. And it's not responding. I have put it inside a bag of rice hoping it would fix itself... fingers crossed... Any other ideas?

Put the phone in a cup of rice and cross your fingers

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Good guide here on Reddit on how to rescue a wet phone
    http://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/1npt9v/this_actually_works_if_you_drop_your_phone_in/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

My one just started to develop bad backlight bleeding in the top left corner and has what looks like a lens flare spot right in front of where the phone normally warms up :(

I was on to Google but can't start an RMA yet because my card is maxed out so they can't put a hold on it, I'll have to do it in January. Does anyone know if there are any issues with sending it back or getting one shipped to here through the RMA process?

Advertisement