Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

what is the camera like in the N4? Hearing it is going to be the same camera in the N5 and from what I remember the camera in the N4 was a disappointment when it was released last year, never mind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

what is the camera like in the N4? Hearing it is going to be the same camera in the N5 and from what I remember the camera in the N4 was a disappointment when it was released last year, never mind now.

Yeh it's really poor thinks it's an upgrade in the 5 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

While they are both 8mp, the optics will be a lot better in the n5 due to ois and a larger sensor.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,851 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

N5 camera is bound to be better. Might be same MP, but as above, doesn't mean it won't be a better camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I'm struggling to find reasons to upgrade from gnex at this stage. I'm not convinced that at this point the N5 will offer anything particualarly innovative (same goes for kit kat). Don't get me wrong I know it's a significant improvement on the gnex but just bathing mind blowing for me at the moment anyway. I might hang on and see what the s5 has to offer in the new year. Tho provided my gnex holds out I could be awaiting the Next nexus iteration. 3 year old phone tho would be weird for me :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Uriel. wrote: »
    I'm struggling to find reasons to upgrade from gnex at this stage. I'm not convinced that at this point the N5 will offer anything particualarly innovative (same goes for kit kat). Don't get me wrong I know it's a significant improvement on the gnex but just bathing mind blowing for me at the moment anyway. I might hang on and see what the s5 has to offer in the new year. Tho provided my gnex holds out I could be awaiting the Next nexus iteration. 3 year old phone tho would be weird for me :-)

not too weird, i just put my S4 up for sale and went back to my GNEX, but i will be going for the N5, wasnt a fan of a 5 inch screen , but its really grown on me. All ill say is if you like the Nexus experience then stay with the program, samsungs offerings are great phones and all but they are no Nexus devices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I really hope this is announced tomorrow, but I find it very unlikely without a scheduled press event. I know the N4 was announced without a press event, but that's because the event itself was cancelled due to that storm that hit New York.

Maybe the press event will be what's announced tomorrow for next week or the week after? :)

projectgtr wrote: »
    not too weird, i just put my S4 up for sale and went back to my GNEX, but i will be going for the N5, wasnt a fan of a 5 inch screen , but its really grown on me. All ill say is if you like the Nexus experience then stay with the program, samsungs offerings are great phones and all but they are no Nexus devices

believe me I know what you mean. I have the N10 as well. Love pure Android. Tho with rooting it's relatively easy to pick up on other devices...

I certainly haven't ruled out the N5... yet....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Am I right to assume that this will be nigh on impossible to get my hands on? Love my galaxy nexus so gonna try to get one of these, is it likely that the networks will carry it or will it be playstore all the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It's unlikely networks will have it as it's supposed to be raw android with no network crapware on top. From experience they all like to add it on in one way or another so would be more than surprised if any of them had it.

Google Play and Amazon will be the best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Yeah that's what I expected, although I got my gal nexus on meteor they didn't have them for very long. Amazon it is!

god's toy wrote: »
    It's unlikely networks will have it as it's supposed to be raw android with no network crapware on top. From experience they all like to add it on in one way or another so would be more than surprised if any of them had it.

Google Play and Amazon will be the best bet.

Vodafone IE carried the GNex and in fairness to them (although probably no choice) there was no bloatware and it came unlocked. Though I am pretty sure it was only available on billpay.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Vodafone IE carried the GNex and in fairness to them (although probably no choice) there was no bloatware and it came unlocked. Though I am pretty sure it was only available on billpay.

True,
    I'd say it's because Samsung was behind that version they sold it. Anyone have the n4?

Would like to see someone within Ireland sell the n5 but don't think anyone will but happy to be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

So it'll be around £300 for the 32GB version, hmm, bit higher than I was hoping to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dlm

So it'll be around £300 for the 32GB version, hmm, bit higher than I was hoping to pay.
    £360 if Google's USD to GBP rates stay the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

dlm wrote: »
    £360 if Google's USD to GBP rates stay the same

Where are you getting that price from?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dlm

Launch price of $300/$350 for the Nexus 4 in the US, £240/£280 in the UK

A $400/$450 Nexus 5 should be £320/£360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Has there been any official announcement from Google?

Has there been any official announcement from Google?

Nope. Oct 31st is the other date that has been mooted. Even if there is no event for it, it'll be flagged at least a few days in advance surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

At one stage today, "Nexus 5" was the most searched for term in the US. There is clearly major interest in this device. If the price point is good, it will sell like hot cakes.

One of the things I'm reading today is that the US government shutdown may have something to do with a delay in releasing the N5 as it may not have cleared FCC certification before everything came to a halt. Hopefully not the case, but an interesting theory nonetheless (read that on CNET).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Today's rumour on launch date is October 28th

http://www.androidauthority.com/kitkat-rumors-ridiculous-284230/

Usual caveats and pinch of salt apply. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ah here! If Google sent the press invites out stating "Come see the next Nexus phone on October 28th" in such and such a place, I think I'd still be sceptical after all these rumours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Darn it Google! I just want it now please! Take my money! Just take it please!

Ok, time to chill, keep breathing in and out, in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Aelun

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/17/4849608/googles-nexus-5-press-images-leak

I don't suppose they are hardly going through carriers again, along with the play stores for the 5. Or is this more of a press shot to show they will support on their network?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ooops! Nexus 5 accidentally features on Play Store, taken down now but not before the high quality images were taken - starting from $349 (or €255).

So confirmed is the KitKat screenshots with the transparent title bar, Hangouts / SMS intergration (I could not be more happy about this) and new Launcher.

Nexus-5-Google-Play-Store-live.png

http://phandroid.com/2013/10/17/oops-nexus-5-makes-official-appearance-on-the-google-play-store-heres-your-first-official-look/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

What price so we think this will be on the English play store? I'm guessing £299 for 16gb and £349 for 32gb?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

advertsfox wrote: »
    Ooops! Nexus 5 accidentally features on Play Store, taken down now but not before the high quality images were taken - starting from $349 (or €255).

€255 seems reasonable enough, will that one have lte though? Have the n4 now and a bigger screen would be nice but I don't think I could justify an upgrade after less than 2 months.

Advertisement