Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Nope haven't got it yet.

Anybody buy insurance for theirs yet? Most of the sites I've looked at in Ireland don't seem to have the phone in their lists.

Transferred my Vodafone insurance on it. They gave some blurb about replacing it with a phone of similar value...probably get an S4 mini if anything happened it knowing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Nope haven't got it yet.

Anybody buy insurance for theirs yet? Most of the sites I've looked at in Ireland don't seem to have the phone in their lists.
    Gadget Insurance do, place is as Other, LG make is there so input the model (value preset at €251 to €400) so it's €3.99 a month or €43.89 a year.

http://www.gadgetinsurance.com/IE/Pages/GadgetBooking.aspx?cate=13&makeid=0&makename=LG&modelid=null&modelname=&valueid=557&affiliateno=GA85657

PS: It's €4.99 a month or €54.89 a year if you include Loss Cover, which you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

I know people are fairly sick of this at the moment, but just looking for some more up to date info as the last time this was asked was quite some time ago.

As it stands at the moment what is it that you have to do to order from google play store. I realise I need a proxy, that's fine, but what about address and billing address malarkey.

Thanks in advance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

I realise I need a proxy, that's fine, but what about address and billing address malarkey.

Use http://www.parcelmotel.com/. Their site has all the details but basically you put their belfast address on it for both addresses and on receipt they redirect it down south. It might still get 'spotted' by google - seems to be pretty random in terms of which ones get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

loadwire wrote: »
    Use http://www.parcelmotel.com/. Their site has all the details but basically you put their belfast address on it for both addresses and on receipt they redirect it down south. It might still get 'spotted' by google - seems to be pretty random in terms of which ones get through.

I dont think it’s quite as simple as this. Maybe things have changed in Ireland but here you also have to have a credit card issued in the country you are ordering from.

There is a sticky at the top of the Android forum of ordering with Flubit. I would assume this is still relevant!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056940002

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

notmymark wrote: »
    I dont think it’s quite as simple as this. Maybe things have changed in Ireland but here you also have to have a credit card issues in the country you are ordering from.

There is a sticky at the top of the Android forum of ordering with Flubit. I would assume this is still relevant!

I never rang the bank when ordering my n4 and I had no problems. Think it's a bit more random than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    I never rang the bank when ordering my n4 and I had no problems. Think it's a bit more random than anything.

There was a typo, i ment issued not issues.

I didnt mean you have to call your bank but here in their t&c they state you have to use a card issued in the country you are ordering from. I tried using my Irish card in the past and it never works for devices, I have to use my Spanish one. But as I said maybe things are different back at home as there is no devices in the Irish store.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

notmymark wrote: »
    I dont think it’s quite as simple as this. Maybe things have changed in Ireland but here you also have to have a credit card issued in the country you are ordering from.

i dunno - i succesfully got a nexus 5 with an irish credit card using parcel motel address. i put my real phone number too with +353. i think they may have a policy of a 'human' checking random orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I can honestly say after having mine since the release that its the best phone I've had bar none. Very surprised at the weekend in a darkish bar my N5s camera well out performed my brothers HTC One. Now I'm not a camera guy when it comes to phones but I was pleasantly surprised, as was the brother :D haven't had any issues with mine since launch , only disappointment was finding out that only one of the speakers at the bottom is in fact a speaker, I thought I had blown one :O

All in all I'm staying Nexus, I won't be straying again , I learned my lesson with the S4, from now on I'll just get my upgrade off Meteor and sell it to fund my next Nexus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

I know people are fairly sick of this at the moment, but just looking for some more up to date info as the last time this was asked was quite some time ago.

As it stands at the moment what is it that you have to do to order from google play store. I realise I need a proxy, that's fine, but what about address and billing address malarkey.

All I did was add a new card, I had a credit card that I'd not used on Play before. I put the PM address as billing address, set it as my default. Used proxy to enter Play Store and ordered with PM as delivery address. That was it for me...

A side effect is now, even with my default address back to my Irish address, I still get the UK play store now where ever I log in??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Do google play issue you a VAT invoice/receipt? I would get this through work and not pay the VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

is the parcel motel method the only one to get a nexus 5 in southern ireland? isnt there a decent shop selling them for a decent price? seriously, 450€? they go for 350$, which is like 250€.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

You can buy them on amazon.co.uk. Some of the sellers will ship to Ireland. I'm sure there are others also...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

I ordered mine on New Years Eve and had no trouble whatsoever. The method I used was:

- download + install TunnelBear
    - set location to UK
    - open a fresh browser window
    - create a new gmail account
    - add your card to Google Wallet (I used a debit card)
    - use the Parcel Motel address on Google Wallet
    - open up the Play Store and find the phone
    - place the order and use the card with the Parcel Motel address
    - also make sure to either add funds or add your credit/debit card to Parcel Motel.

I had no problems at all with my order. Other than a blister from tapping the refresh key on the tracking site and Parcel Motel website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

murfilein wrote: »
    is the parcel motel method the only one to get a nexus 5 in southern ireland? isnt there a decent shop selling them for a decent price? seriously, 450€? they go for 350$, which is like 250€.

Well a new one delivered from Google is about 420-430 all in for a 32gb. You can hardly expect to pay less than that and they have to make something. I've seen a few 32gb for 450 and I think that's a fair price tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Anyone know how to set an audio file as a ringtone???

It was so easy on my ancient galaxyS
    I swear the Nexus 5 is much less functional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Anyone know how to set an audio file as a ringtone???

It was so easy on my ancient galaxyS
    I swear the Nexus 5 is much less functional.

Copy it to the ringtones folder and rename it from .mp3 to .ogg. There are most likely apps that do this too

It's less functional because unlike a Samsung it's not bloated with crap you may or may not need, I prefer vanilla for this reason, if I need a function I look for an app that covers it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

You can also download ringtone extended from the play store to set songs as ringtones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Copy it to the ringtones folder and rename it from .mp3 to .ogg. There are most likely apps that do this too

It's less functional because unlike a Samsung it's not bloated with crap you may or may not need, I prefer vanilla for this reason, if I need a function I look for an app that covers it

Cheers... Will try that.

Thing about the Samsung is, I press menu -> set as ringtone.

Needing a dedicated app to do that is crazily over complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Cheers... Will try that.

Like I said, you don't, just rename to a free format .ogg, .mp3 is not a free format and requires a hefty licence fee which Samsung pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Check out Zedge as well.

Thousands of them. You can set ringtones through it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Cheers... Will try that.

Try ringdroid i use it on all my phones, if thats overly complex maybe a Nexus device isnt for you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Barti wrote: »
    I ordered mine on New Years Eve and had no trouble whatsoever. The method I used was:

- download + install TunnelBear
    - set location to UK
    - open a fresh browser window
    - create a new gmail account
    - add your card to Google Wallet (I used a debit card)
    - use the Parcel Motel address on Google Wallet
    - open up the Play Store and find the phone
    - place the order and use the card with the Parcel Motel address
    - also make sure to either add funds or add your credit/debit card to Parcel Motel.

I had no problems at all with my order. Other than a blister from tapping the refresh key on the tracking site and Parcel Motel website :)

Done, basically the same as above (didn't need the VPN, as my work network location comes up as the UK), and my order has just shipped :). Thanks for the useful information. Really helped me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Carphone Warehouse matching Google pricing on 16GB Nexus 5

For anyone heading to Belfast soon or to the UK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

OK, so thinking of selling my Galaxy S3 and going for this, two questions...

1. Google play the cheapest way to go yeah? (using VPN and Parcel Motel)

2. Any reason why I shouldn't do it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Julez wrote: »
    OK, so thinking of selling my Galaxy S3 and going for this, two questions...

1. Google play the cheapest way to go yeah? (using VPN and Parcel Motel)

2. Any reason why I shouldn't do it?

Cheers

1. Carephone Warehouse is now matching Google Play Store price as linked to in the post above yours. It might be easier as Google cancel orders from Ireland from time to time.

2. No.

Dudda wrote: »
    1. Carephone Warehouse is now matching Google Play Store price as linked to in the post above yours. It might be easier as Google cancel orders from Ireland from time to time.

2. No.

Yeah, I was thinking of driving up to Newry and getting it, but with Tolls and Petrol I'll probably be paying and extra €30 I'd say. Although it would mean I'd have it this weekend which would be nice. Maybe I'll try to order tonight and see if it gets canceled or not, if it does I'll go up to Newry.
    Is there any particular reason Google haven't made it available here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Yeah, I was thinking of driving up to Newry and getting it, but with Tolls and Petrol I'll probably be paying and extra €30 I'd say. Although it would mean I'd have it this weekend which would be nice. Maybe I'll try to order tonight and see if it gets canceled or not, if it does I'll go up to Newry.
    Is there any particular reason Google haven't made it available here?

I'd call ahead and make sure Carphone Warehouse have one for you or ask them to hold one mate!

madmoe wrote: »
    I'd call ahead and make sure Carphone Warehouse have one for you or ask them to hold one mate!

Yeah, I think after factoring in tolls and petrol it wouldn't be worth it anyway. €30 was probably a low estimation, more like and extra €60. Anybody tried ordering to parcel motel from Carphone Warehouse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Tango One

Yeah, I think after factoring in tolls and petrol it wouldn't be worth it anyway. €30 was probably a low estimation, more like and extra €60. Anybody tried ordering to parcel motel from Carphone Warehouse?
    Yeah thats how I got mine after running into problems trying to buy from google

Advertisement