Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have a Nexus 4 and thinking of upgrading to a Nexus 5 for the 4G connectivity and just general improvements.

Anyone gone from 4-5 can maybe offer some comment on if it is worthwhile? My N4 is perfect, bar some charging issues, I couldn't honestly ask more from my phone. Sure 4G connectivity would be fine, but it's not like the current connectivity is crawling.

Also is there still **** about having to do weird stuff simply to buy one, with proxies etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Just leaving this from my new nexus 5. Had trouble with the proxy on a few different devices so just went with Amazon. Chuffed so far and thanks for all the help

did you buy it from a reseller? Was thinking of doing the same, wonder if they will produce a vat invoice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

madmoe wrote: »
    I have Omnimetal ROM on my Galaxy Nexus and seriously thinking about putting it on my N5 as well ;-)

Xposed + GravityBox is another option to get all the tweaks of a custom ROM without having to flash a custom ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

polaris68 wrote: »
    Xposed + GravityBox is another option to get all the tweaks of a custom ROM without having to flash a custom ROM.

Are they both availabel on the play store mister!?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Mulling over whether I should upgrade from my S2 to the N5. Running 4.1.2 on the S2 but it is starting to chug, so the N5 and its Bloatware free OS is really tempting. Only downside is the N5 does not have the removable battery or microSD slot so the 32GBmicroSD I have will be useless. The battery on the S2 has definitely started to degrade with me only getting a little over a day out of it with my usage, down from about 2.5 days.

So questions for the N5 owners. Battery life and storage capacity, are they things you consciously need to manage on the N5. Will be heading up to Enniskillen next week so can pick up the 16GB model while there, but for my music and video collection I will probably go for the 32GB from the Play Store(via PM).

Is the OS on the N5 smooth enough to justify the ~£320 upgrade from the S2. Switching apps can start to become a pain on the S2(Say Maps to Chrome) with a lot of stuttering occurring when I'm going between the different ones.

My other option is to Root the S2, buy a new battery and start using the microSD's capacity as additional RAM (I think there is a crack to do this with the cyanogen mod)

I've looked at spec comparisons of the two, so I'm aware of these but a little unsure about how the Quad core chip runs Kit Kat. The clock speed of the chip on the N5 runs about twice the speed of the Dual core chip in the S2 and I don't think the S2 is handling 4.1.2 too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have a Nexus 4 and thinking of upgrading to a Nexus 5 for the 4G connectivity and just general improvements.

Anyone gone from 4-5 can maybe offer some comment on if it is worthwhile? My N4 is perfect, bar some charging issues, I couldn't honestly ask more from my phone. Sure 4G connectivity would be fine, but it's not like the current connectivity is crawling.

Also is there still **** about having to do weird stuff simply to buy one, with proxies etc. ?

Have had the SGN, N4 and N5. Tons of roms

Stock N5 was the best money I ever spent ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Mulling over whether I should upgrade from my S2 to the N5. Running 4.1.2 on the S2 but it is starting to chug, so the N5 and its Bloatware free OS is really tempting. Only downside is the N5 does not have the removable battery or microSD slot so the 32GBmicroSD I have will be useless. The battery on the S2 has definitely started to degrade with me only getting a little over a day out of it with my usage, down from about 2.5 days.

So questions for the N5 owners. Battery life and storage capacity, are they things you consciously need to manage on the N5. Will be heading up to Enniskillen next week so can pick up the 16GB model while there, but for my music and video collection I will probably go for the 32GB from the Play Store(via PM).

Is the OS on the N5 smooth enough to justify the ~£320 upgrade from the S2. Switching apps can start to become a pain on the S2(Say Maps to Chrome) with a lot of stuttering occurring when I'm going between the different ones.

My other option is to Root the S2, buy a new battery and start using the microSD's capacity as additional RAM (I think there is a crack to do this with the cyanogen mod)

I've looked at spec comparisons of the two, so I'm aware of these but a little unsure about how the Quad core chip runs Kit Kat. The clock speed of the chip on the N5 runs about twice the speed of the Dual core chip in the S2 and I don't think the S2 is handling 4.1.2 too well.

Just buy it (see post above), you will love it, if not you will loose about €20 reselling it ;-)

Are they both availabel on the play store mister!?

Cheers,
    M

Lots of information here:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-your-own-customized-version-of-android-wi-1440101209

When you've installed the Xposed Framework you'll find GravityBox [KK] under modules and it can be downloaded and installed from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

_Puma_ wrote: »

I have cm10.2 on my sgs2.. Sorted my battery drain, and have never been wanting for RAM..

highly recommend giving it a shot..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaneymac77

Anyone else having problems with LTE / 4G on Three with Nexus 5. Need to use #*#*4636*#*# and set to LTE only but then can't make or receive calls... Pretty frustrating as 4G works well in Dublin City centre. Any solutions out there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm pretty sure it's data only on 4G. Phone has to drop back to 3G or 2G to make voice calls. Do any of the networks have voice over LTE yet?
    Is there no LTE auto mode in the selection?

The only way to get Lte to actually work is to go into #*#*4636*#*# and change to LTE only in there. It's a pain really, esp as know that can't receive or make calls in that mode. Oddly, sms seems to work though. Three mention a software upgrade for all phones to get 4G to work, presume they mean just change the phone settings as detailed above. Can't ask them about Nexus 5 as they don't carry it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

The only way to get Lte to actually work is to go into #*#*4636*#*# and change to LTE only in there. It's a pain really, esp as know that can't receive or make calls in that mode. Oddly, sms seems to work though. Three mention a software upgrade for all phones to get 4G to work, presume they mean just change the phone settings as detailed above. Can't ask them about Nexus 5 as they don't carry it yet

Change you setting back to whatever it originally was. Go to your network settings and select LTE Preferred. This gives you 4G for data and 3G for calls. It'll takea few minutes to select the 4G but I'll will work

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Carrollman

Thinking of rooting phone and using xposed framework. Quick question though.. Once I have rooted will I be able to get the android software updates directly through the phone or have to sideload.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Carrollman wrote: »
    Thinking of rooting phone and using xposed framework. Quick question though.. Once I have rooted will I be able to get the android software updates directly through the phone or have to sideload.?

I would like to know the same thing guys......

• Registered Users Posts: 21 A1an006

Anyone else having problems with LTE / 4G on Three with Nexus 5. Need to use #*#*4636*#*# and set to LTE only but then can't make or receive calls... Pretty frustrating as 4G works well in Dublin City centre. Any solutions out there?

Hi Shane,

There is another thread here specifically for 4G on the Nexus 5 on Three. Thought you'd be interested! http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057131923

Also, Three actually do carry the Nexus 5 in Ireland. However it's locked to them and ridiculously overpriced (€439 for 16GB on prepay!). They'll support those ones but not any from the Google Play store.

I did the same as Walkman. I have my phone set up as LTE/GSM (PRL) and in the network options, LTE Preferred. I can get good LTE coverage in Dublin City but as soon a I make/receive a call I get kicked back to 3G. Takes ages to go back to LTE again. I just posted in the thread I linked asking them what the story is. I got my Nexus from the Play Store as well. No reason why 4G shouldn't work perfectly on our phones too!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

4G on 3 works fine for me on LTE as preferred connection setting. Switches to call mode and back fine. Occasionally I get some data issues when in a borderline 3g/4g area and it switches between them for data.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 A1an006

5starpool wrote: »
    4G on 3 works fine for me on LTE as preferred connection setting. Switches to call mode and back fine. Occasionally I get some data issues when in a borderline 3g/4g area and it switches between them for data.

Does it switch back to 4G as soon as the call ends? It takes ages for it to switch over for me :( (and by ages I mean 3-5 mins :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I would like to know the same thing guys......

Not the Nexus 5 but the process should be almost identical to doing it on the N4.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86382870

While rooting the phone is not an issue, you will have to uninstalled Xposed Framework before you can install an OTA update. Any modifications from stock will have to be reversed before an OTA will install successfully.

First post in this thread runs through the various scenarios.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47369234

• Advertisement

A1an006 wrote: »
    Does it switch back to 4G as soon as the call ends? It takes ages for it to switch over for me :( (and by ages I mean 3-5 mins :D)

Once the call ends you're back in 3g and need to manually reset 4g,that's a pain alright

A1an006 wrote: »

I've never really checked. If anyone ever rings me again :( I'll check. Too busy watching SSN on my phone now to ring myself and check!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Once the call ends you're back in 3g and need to manually reset 4g,that's a pain alright

Leave it, it'll pick up the 4G itself once you have LTE selected as the preferred network.

After I made a call this evening I checked how long it took to go back to LTE afterwards, and it took me only about 30-40 seconds without doing anything except locking the screen and checking a few seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

If anyone has a Spigen case there's a template here for making your own backplate, its a bit geeky but makes the case a little more personal anyway. I've made a few and they turned out handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

picked up this phone from Expansys - very very impressed. Fits nicely with my new nexus 7.

send the text to vodafone this morning for 4g, but told it takes two days. There is a 'H' beside the bars of coverage, not sure what that is, but just did a speed test and got 20mb down and 1.9 up....that seems like 4g type speeds. Anyone know what the H is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

picked up this phone from Expansys - very very impressed. Fits nicely with my new nexus 7.

send the text to vodafone this morning for 4g, but told it takes two days. There is a 'H' beside the bars of coverage, not sure what that is, but just did a speed test and got 20mb down and 1.9 up....that seems like 4g type speeds. Anyone know what the H is?

Always thought it was HSDPA??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

H is for HSDPA, which to be fair can be very fast indeed.

I also got my Nexus 5 from Three yesterday and I love it. Goes great with my GPE HTC One

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

Without getting into the technology behind it basically they are two different network setups. LTE 4G is the newest and is capable of getting the highest transfer rates and has more room for growth.

Pre-4G days European carriers were based on GSM and UMTS. This meant that they were able to upgrade to H/H+ cheaper than upgrading to LTE 4G. This is why LTE 4G is quite new in Europe whereas it has been around for years in other parts of the world.

You can get very good transfer rates from H+. In fact it’s often also known as 4G, hence people refer to LTE as LTE.

In order of speed...
    4G = LTE
    H+ = UMTS with HSDPA+ enabled
    H = UMTS with HSDPA enabled
    3G = UMTS
    E = Edge GSM
    2G = GSM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

i cant find on the expansys website - how/where exactly did you get it? and how much did you pay?

Advertisement