Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Expansys.com maybe, using ParcelMotel??

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Gryzor wrote: »
    Expansys.com maybe, using ParcelMotel??

oh alright, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

murfilein wrote: »
    i cant find on the expansys website - how/where exactly did you get it? and how much did you pay?

Expansys.ie
    €353 ex vat
    Delivery in two days by dhl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Expansys.ie
    €353 ex vat
    Delivery in two days by dhl

That's mad money when you pay the VAT

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/4/5378232/red-nexus-5-available-now

Red Nexus 5. It looks really nice, I definitely would have bought that over the black one if it was available at launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/4/5378232/red-nexus-5-available-now

Red Nexus 5. It looks really nice, I definitely would have bought that over the black one if it was available at launch.

Looks nice but most people will stick a cover over the red bit.

I put a Ringke Fusion case with a clear back on a white N5. I didn't think it looked great.

BTW The Rinkge is not a super slim case as advertised, it does add a bit of bulk.

That's mad money when you pay the VAT

That's the point though, I don't pay the vat. Its £320 on amazon, that's €390... and it was questionable whether we could reclaim vat from resellers on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

Has anyone sourced a decent fm transmitter/charger/car mount? Just moved over from iPhone, love the nexus so far but extensive googling hasn't turned up any decent car accessories, could really do with getting something sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

oodles19 wrote: »
    Has anyone sourced a decent fm transmitter/charger/car mount? Just moved over from iPhone, love the nexus so far but extensive googling hasn't turned up any decent car accessories, could really do with getting something sorted!

The lg g2 car accessories might be comparable..

That's the point though, I don't pay the vat. Its £320 on amazon, that's €390... and it was questionable whether we could reclaim vat from resellers on amazon.

It's still expensive when you compare it to the $349 I paid for mine, I have sisters in the States and got it brought home in a pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

It's still expensive when you compare it to the $349 I paid for mine, I have sisters in the States and got it brought home in a pocket.

Vat is the biggest factor but it just costs more in general to do business in Europe.
    I was going to buy the US version when I was over there recently but the lack of compatible 4G was a deal breaker for me. Hence I paid the extra and got it from the UK.

Vat is the biggest factor but it just costs more in general to do business in Europe.
    I was going to buy the US version when I was over there recently but the lack of compatible 4G was a deal breaker for me. Hence I paid the extra and got it from the UK.

That's the thing, 4G requires a new more expensive contract, I've no interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

It's free until the summer with Three, then a few euro per month. Well worth it in my opinion.
    YMMV.

It's free until the summer with Three, then a few euro per month. Well worth it in my opinion.
    YMMV.

Won't deal with Three, ever, no matter what they offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Won't deal with Three, ever, no matter what they offer

My 4G plan with Meteor is about €5 cheaper than my previous plan.

gerryk wrote: »
    My 4G plan with Meteor is about €5 cheaper than my previous plan.

Cheaper than the €15 pm I currently pay Vodafone? :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,851 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cheaper than the €15 pm I currently pay Vodafone? :)

Unless you have a very special deal I can't imagine you get anywhere enough data from Vodafone for that amount to have any use whatsoever for 4g.

5starpool wrote: »
    Unless you have a very special deal I can't imagine you get anywhere enough data from Vodafone for that amount to have any use whatsoever for 4g.

500MB which is fine for me, I spend most of my time on wifi everywhere I am.
    I also get 150 any network minutes, 150 texts and free Voda to Voda calls and texts

I also believe mobile should be mobile, for on the move use, not as a fixed broadband substitute as it is in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

500MB, 150 any network minutes, 150 texts and free Voda to Voda calls and texts
    About 15 quids worth there alright. I like the way vodafone have stripped their plans back to nothing, then you can add minutes etc you need by looking back over previous years average useage..

On 4g, I'm very underwhelmed. Though being used to decent 3g coverage, what was i actually expecting to use 20mb plus dl on a mobile for anyway!!

Gokei wrote: »
    About 15 quids worth there alright. I like the way vodafone have stripped their plans back to nothing, then you can add minutes etc you need by looking back over previous years average useage..

On 4g, I'm very underwhelmed. Though being used to decent 3g coverage, what was i actually expecting to use 20mb plus dl on a mobile for anyway!!

1GB with unlimited calls and texts is €30 pm

4G works well in other countries as mobile data is expensive and that's the way it should be, to discourage heavy usage, otherwise it becomes more of the same, overused and slow. It shouldn't be advertised as broadband at all, but that's for another thread.

• Advertisement

I did a speed check the other day with Hspa and got 23mb download and 3 upload. Did a speed check just now with LTE and got 24mb download and 17mb upload.

So in essence, really there is no difference for me. I do all major downloading with UPC at home, so its just speeds around town. the fact that there is not much of a difference for 4g means that really, its not that relevant.

I did a speed check the other day with Hspa and got 23mb download and 3 upload. Did a speed check just now with LTE and got 24mb download and 17mb upload.

So in essence, really there is no difference for me. I do all major downloading with UPC at home, so its just speeds around town. the fact that there is not much of a difference for 4g means that really, its not that relevant.

Wait till they oversell it

Wait till they oversell it

well thats my point exactly. If I am getting similar data speeds on a full HSPA network (3g) as opposed to a relatively empty 4g network, whats the point of anyone upgrading?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey all,
    Anyone here with Tesco Mobile and using the Nexus 5!? I am getting pretty bad speeds when I do a speed test and the H+ never appears for me above the signal icon!?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Anyone here with Tesco Mobile and using the Nexus 5!? I am getting pretty bad speeds when I do a speed test and the H+ never appears for me above the signal icon!?

Cheers,
    M

on Tesco mobile , getting around 8-10 MBPS download speed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

on Tesco mobile , getting around 8-10 MBPS download speed

Cheers! Much more than I am getting then! Have Tesco recently upgraded their speeds? And do you get the H+??

500MB which is fine for me, I spend most of my time on wifi everywhere I am.
    I also get 150 any network minutes, 150 texts and free Voda to Voda calls and texts

I also believe mobile should be mobile, for on the move use, not as a fixed broadband substitute as it is in this country

500MB??? I often use that in a day!
    I also have unlimited calls, unlimited texts, and until March, unlimited data.

I don't use it as a broadband substitute... there is excellent LTE coverage where I live and in both places I work.

500MB??? I often use that in a day!
    I also have unlimited calls, unlimited texts, and until March, unlimited data.

I don't use it as a broadband substitute... there is excellent LTE coverage where I live and in both places I work.

That is exactly what I meant, you should have a fixed supply and connect by wifi leaving mobile for those who need mobility.

No wonder Three's 3G network is in tatters, no provider can sustain unlimited. There's a reason other countries offer less data and more expensive data packages, see this post

That is exactly what I meant, you should have a fixed supply and connect by wifi leaving mobile for those who need mobility.

No wonder Three's 3G network is in tatters, no provider can sustain unlimited. There's a reason other countries offer less data and more expensive data packages, see this post

When I am at home, or any place I have wifi access, that's exactly what I do.

3's 3G network is in tatters because they spend the absolute minimum on it. They vastly oversubscribe their cells, saturate their backhaul, and offload capacity to Vodafone. They are the only carrier in Ireland to have a 700MHz LTE allocation, which pretty much spells out that they intend to have some number of huge LTE cells, which is exactly not what LTE specifications state. I wouldn't consider 3 as any metric of how to run a mobile network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

When I am at home, or any place I have wifi access, that's exactly what I do.

3's 3G network is in tatters because they spend the absolute minimum on it. They vastly oversubscribe their cells, saturate their backhaul, and offload capacity to Vodafone. They are the only carrier in Ireland to have a 700MHz LTE allocation, which pretty much spells out that they intend to have some number of huge LTE cells, which is exactly not what LTE specifications state. I wouldn't consider 3 as any metric of how to run a mobile network.

It is cheap though. :)

Advertisement