Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

madmoe wrote: »
    Cheers! Much more than I am getting then! Have Tesco recently upgraded their speeds? And do you get the H+??

didnt see H+ at all , just did the speedtest again and getting 13.5 Mbps , i dont need more to be honest .

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Was looking at the UK playstore earlier in the week and it was 4-5 week delivery time for the black 32GB model. Anybody have to wait this long to receive theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Just occurred to me that I would like the home screen / lock screen everything in landscape mode when the phone is sitting horizontally in its stand at my desk.

Anyone know how to do it - all I found so far is a free app called 'Ultimate Rotate' - which works most of the times, but not always - especially the lock screen seems to revert back to portrait within a second or two.

Anyway to do this natively, without apps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

positron wrote: »
    Just occurred to me that I would like the home screen / lock screen everything in landscape mode when the phone is sitting horizontally in its stand at my desk.

Anyone know how to do it - all I found so far is a free app called 'Ultimate Rotate' - which works most of the times, but not always - especially the lock screen seems to revert back to portrait within a second or two.

no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

oodles19 wrote: »
    Has anyone sourced a decent fm transmitter/charger/car mount? Just moved over from iPhone, love the nexus so far but extensive googling hasn't turned up any decent car accessories, could really do with getting something sorted!

Mount:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BFWQQEG/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Charger:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0077PM3KG/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Kind of tempted to get this phone and leave iOS as I just want to try something different. Was an Android user a few years back but haven't really kept up to date with it.

Have the reported battery issues been sorted or is still a 'lucky to get one day' thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

positron wrote: »

Not natively with Stock Android.

I know Nova Launcher lets you set the home screen and app drawer to auto rotate.
    I don't think Nova can control the lock screen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Was looking at the UK playstore earlier in the week and it was 4-5 week delivery time for the black 32GB model. Anybody have to wait this long to receive theirs?

How do you access the UK play store?
    Have a Nexus 7 and love it. Wife's phone is starting to die so considering getting the Nexus 5 for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

gaius c wrote: »
    How do you access the UK play store?
    Have a Nexus 7 and love it. Wife's phone is starting to die so considering getting the Nexus 5 for her.

Use a VPN or a dynamic dns service.
    The company I work for routes Web traffic via the UK so I bought direct from Google and shipped it via Parcel Motel. I ordered the nexus 5 32GB on a Thursday morning and had it delivered Monday morning in Cork. Extremely fast shipment, this was around a month ago. At the time it said ships within 3-5 days but it was instant for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I'm up north a fair bit with work. Would an NI IP work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

gaius c wrote: »
    I'm up north a fair bit with work. Would an NI IP work?

Should do, just setup a Google UK account when up there and link a credit card to it, I even used the same credit card as I do for my Irish Google account, had no issues.
    Setup parcel motel then or get it delivered to a UK address of a friend etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi guys just upgraded by nexus 4 for red nexus 5. It's very nice. Quick question how do I get the default sms app back? When I go in to settings and select default sms only hangouts shows up as the option
    Cheers mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Hi guys just upgraded by nexus 4 for red nexus 5. It's very nice. Quick question how do I get the default sms app back? When I go in to settings and select default sms only hangouts shows up as the option
    Cheers mick

Hangouts is the default, you'll have to install one

Hangouts is the default, you'll have to install one

Cool went with 8sms looks good.

Cool went with 8sms looks good.
    If I want to get 4G on meteor do I need to change plans or just get a 4G sim? I'm on a 30 euro plan with 200 minutes 200 texts 1gb of data.

If I want to get 4G on meteor do I need to change plans or just get a 4G sim? I'm on a 30 euro plan with 200 minutes 200 texts 1gb of data.

Yes, 4g is all about new contracts, you'll need a new SIM

Also just wondering how many people are rocking the phone without a case? I have a broddit car holder that won't accommodate a case on the phone so I'm not planning to use a case.. Foolish?

Yes, 4g is all about new contracts, you'll need a new SIM
    So I'd have to change plans? They currently offer me a 20 percent discount to my plan via a work scheme. Will that still apply? Also what happens if I sign a new contract will I have to say till end for an upgrade? I'd be due an upgrade on my current plan in few months

So I'd have to change plans? They currently offer me a 20 percent discount to my plan via a work scheme. Will that still apply? Also what happens if I sign a new contract will I have to say till end for an upgrade? I'd be due an upgrade on my current plan in few months

I have no idea tbh. Do you need faster speeds? LTE is only in very limited areas.

I have no idea tbh. Do you need faster speeds? LTE is only in very limited areas.

Not really just be interested to see what it's like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Just ordered a Nexus 5 on upgrade. Have a HTC One already so will be interesting to see the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Anybody had any issues with the phone saying no sim please restart. Happened to me 3 times today, first time it's happened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Anybody had any issues with the phone saying no sim please restart. Happened to me 3 times today, first time it's happened

Its a known fault on early batches. Also did you cut your Sim yourself? If so grab a new one from your provider precut ;) it sorts most issues

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

In the last two days my battery has been draining incredible fast, when I went to the battery settings it shows that an app call 'mm-qcamera-daemon' is using 45% of my battery. I have looked through the internet and it says try restarting the phone and deleting snapcaht, both of which I have done, but to no avail. Anyone experiencing similar problems and have managed to fix it?

Thanks.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I got the phone back in November last year. For about two months I would see "Sim card inserted. Restart phone" or something similar. It sometimes happened 5 times a day, others it didn't happen for a whole week. I haven't seen it happen in about 1 month now. I contacted google and they told me to check with my sim card provider first to eliminate the issue. I haven't been bothered since it hasn't happened since.

AND...today, my battery was dead in about 3 hours. Very unusual (usually lasts about 40 hours!). I also had the 'mm-qcamera-daemon' eating my battery. I have restarted it and am monitoring it so will let you know. Everyone says it has to do with an app trying to run the camera continuously. 3 days ago I had to restart my phone because the camera kept crashing. Not sure if they're related...

Also, I don't have snapchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

lil_lisa wrote: »
    AND...today, my battery was dead in about 3 hours. Very unusual (usually lasts about 40 hours!). I also had the 'mm-qcamera-daemon' eating my battery. I have restarted it and am monitoring it so will let you know. Everyone says it has to do with an app trying to run the camera continuously. 3 days ago I had to restart my phone because the camera kept crashing. Not sure if they're related...

Also, I don't have snapchat.

Thank Lisa, yeah I remember my camera crashing a couple of days ago and having to restart so it sounds like a camera issue alright. Hopefully Google will come up with a fix pretty soon.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Is there a difference between the spec of the USA Nexus 5 and the UK / European Nexus 5?

I have the UK Nexus 5.

I am looking to get a sim card in the states and I am being asked if I have a CDMA phone? Is the UK Nexus 5 CDMA compatible? Thanks

Fungus wrote: »
    Is there a difference between the spec of the USA Nexus 5 and the UK / European Nexus 5?

I have the UK Nexus 5.

I am looking to get a sim card in the states and I am being asked if I have a CDMA phone? Is the UK Nexus 5 CDMA compatible? Thanks

Yes. There are two types of Nexus 5, USA and international. Both will work with 3G here but only the International will work here with 4G and only the USA version will work with their 4G over there. CDMA phones normally do not have a Sim card, but the Nexus 5 has both CDMA and GSM technologies.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/170166-nexus-5-excellent-global-coverage-perplexing-lte-support

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

16GB unlocked was on sale in Carphone Warehouse for £240. I couldn't resist at that price.

First android phone in a long time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

16GB unlocked was on sale in Carphone Warehouse for £240. I couldn't resist at that price.

Same here.

I gave a made up mobile phone number(UK number required) and as much as my actual billing address as possible(UK address required). Hopefully CPW accept the order.

Advertisement