Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

16GB unlocked was on sale in Carphone Warehouse for £240. I couldn't resist at that price.

First android phone in a long time!

Me neither, I upgraded my year old N4....

Went up to Newry and picked it up yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Opened mine on Saturday and proceeded to get rid of my One. Really liking it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anna5791

Silly question really.
    I've a friend getting a N5 for me from CPW UK. I just wanted to check beforehand that there aren't any issues using it with an Irish sim card - I'm with Three billpay.

Also who are people using for insurance?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

On your first question - no problem using it with an Irish SIM card as long as they are not locked to a network.

Most of us on here got ours from the UK Google Play Store. I just put an emobile billpay SIM into mine and it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

LAds I'm getting a day no bother from this phone. Why was everyone saying the battery was crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Does anyone use an email account other than Gmail regularly on their N5, through the Email app?

I tend to get a double notification about once every 5 times I use it.
    What this means is that I can see in the notification drawer that I have an unread email from whoever. I tap on it and I hear a notification sound that I've just got a new email. But when I bring down the notification drawer, it's a new notification for the same email that's already open behind the drawer.

I can dismiss this or wait for around 10 seconds before the phone realises that it's an older mail that I've already read.

Doesn't happen at all with the Gmail app, but about 1 in 5 times in the Email app!

Is it just me? :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Does anyone use an email account other than Gmail regularly on their N5, through the Email app?

I tend to get a double notification about once every 5 times I use it.
    What this means is that I can see in the notification drawer that I have an unread email from whoever. I tap on it and I hear a notification sound that I've just got a new email. But when I bring down the notification drawer, it's a new notification for the same email that's already open behind the drawer.

I can dismiss this or wait for around 10 seconds before the phone realises that it's an older mail that I've already read.

Doesn't happen at all with the Gmail app, but about 1 in 5 times in the Email app!

Is it just me? :)

I've only been using it properly since yesterday so just set up the work email through the email app then. Doesn't seem to be happening me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

LAds I'm getting a day no bother from this phone. Why was everyone saying the battery was crap?

I'm honestly getting dreadful life on my battery, I've actually had to charge it in the middle of the day and its only getting standard use.

I'm using it exactly the same I do with my HTC One which easily takes a full day and more.

petes wrote: »
    I've only been using it properly since yesterday so just set up the work email through the email app then. Doesn't seem to be happening me though!

It might just be me, I've never seen it mentioned in this thread.
    And it's that type of thing that would annoy people :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm honestly getting dreadful life on my battery, I've actually had to charge it in the middle of the day and its only getting standard use.

I'm using it exactly the same I do with my HTC One which easily takes a full day and more.

Check battery stats to see what's eating it, just be some app or widget syncing continuously.

• Advertisement

It might just be me, I've never seen it mentioned in this thread.
    And it's that type of thing that would annoy people :pac:

I've encountered this very intermittently over the past few weeks. A double notification for the same email. I have my work email (Exchange) set up on this app and I think it's this account that's generating the problem.

polaris68 wrote: »
    I've encountered this very intermittently over the past few weeks. A double notification for the same email. I have my work email (Exchange) set up on this app and I think it's this account that's generating the problem.

I'm using it for Hotmail (don't anybody laugh :pac:), so it's not exchange afaik.
    Think I'll try deleting the account and setting it up again, see if that helps :)

I'm using it for Hotmail (don't anybody laugh :pac:), so it's not exchange afaik.
    Think I'll try deleting the account and setting it up again, see if that helps :)

Ah, exchange here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Google NOW is an absolute destroyer of battery life I've found.
    Killed it and it's like a new phone, can't believe the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Anyone else lose root over the last couple of days? I wonder if it was the updated Google Now launcher ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

mondeo wrote: »

I saved 219 quid by going to Newry, fooking hell....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hello all,
    I just got back from Barcelona last night after being there since Saturday. Now I keep getting a 'Sign In To Network' message in my notification bar on my Nexus 5? If I reboot the phone the message still appears?

Have you ever heard of this? I'm on the Tesco Mobile network. When I actually tap on the notification it then brings me to the browser and opens up the Google Search homepage?? It then disappears from the notification\status bar for a while and comes back again :-(

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

You have it set to show available networks in the wifi menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Every day when I come home from work Google Now asks me to enable location history. I say yes but it just keeps asking, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I have been experiencing connectivity issues with my N5 since day1.

Example: My N5 & my wife's Samsung Galaxy S3 side by side. They operate off the same network (eMobile). My wife's would have 3 bars in her connection to phone network. Mine has none. Made a call from mine - no reception. Made a call from the S3 - fine.

WIFI Connection: The S3 would have a full 5 bars in the network connect, the N5 would have 1 bar (sometimes 2).

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

You have it set to show available networks in the wifi menu.

Hey mate, it's saying 'Sign in to network' and in small text underneath that is says 'Tesco Mobile' so I don't think it's anything to do with WiFi? Should I post a screenshot for you?

Thanks,
    M

Dummy wrote: »

Example: My N5 & my wife's Samsung Galaxy S3 side by side. They operate off the same network (eMobile). My wife's would have 3 bars in her connection to phone network. Mine has none. Made a call from mine - no reception. Made a call from the S3 - fine.

WIFI Connection: The S3 would have a full 5 bars in the network connect, the N5 would have 1 bar (sometimes 2).

I haven't had problems with WiFi connectivity - my N5 is much better in that regard compared to the One X which I had previously. That could be a setting issues on the phone or router.

However, like yours, the network connectivity of my N5 is quite poor - outside of cities and towns where the signal is weaker it can struggle to maintain reception. Additionally, it sucks a lot of battery when the signal is weak searching for a better signal. Mobile standby typically consumes the largest % of my battery power.

There are a lot of complaints about this on XDA. I've seen people flashing different radios with little improvement so, unfortunately, it may be a hardware issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Dummy wrote: »

Yeah I've have issues with the phone periodically disconnecting from the mobile network (Vodafone) and it happens in areas of both strong and weak signal; I haven't noticed any wifi issues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Just activated LTE with the phone on Meteor, quite impressed! 39.07 Mbps down, 18.07Mbps up!
    It's about 7 times faster than the wifi in work now, haha!

JohnK wrote: »
    Yeah I've have issues with the phone periodically disconnecting from the mobile network (Vodafone) and it happens in areas of both strong and weak signal; I haven't noticed any wifi issues though.

This has happened many times for me with Tesco Mobile (phone periodically disconnecting from the mobile network) and until I read this I was blaming Tesco Mobile and not the phone! Now I'm starting to think differently I have to say!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

madmoe wrote: »
    This has happened many times for me with Tesco Mobile (phone periodically disconnecting from the mobile network) and until I read this I was blaming Tesco Mobile and not the phone! Now I'm starting to think differently I have to say!

Cheers,
    M
    Happening me on meteor but only this week. Got the phone about two weeks ago. I have a 4G sim but not a contract. I've switched preferred network type to be 3g instead of lte but it hasn't made much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Anyone looking for a low price wireless charger: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-SALE-Black-Q8-Qi-Standard-Wireless-Charger-Pad-for-Nokia-Lumia-920-Nexus-4-5/1600811285.html
    Currently on sale for €9.89 with free shipping from HK.

It got a good review from a guy on XDA (says the low price ones do exactly the same as the €40-70 ones!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Anyone looking for a low price wireless charger: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-SALE-Black-Q8-Qi-Standard-Wireless-Charger-Pad-for-Nokia-Lumia-920-Nexus-4-5/1600811285.html
    Currently on sale for €9.89 with free shipping from HK.

It got a good review from a guy on XDA (says the low price ones do exactly the same as the €40-70 ones!)

That was the easiest order ever (and I order from justeat.ie all the time!) so cheers for that:)

Advertisement