Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone else find the battery life has gone to **** in the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Yes, look at the usage. Is there a camera thing eating it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone else find the battery life has gone to **** in the last few days?

nope, all good here. Have you looked at your batt stats? as for the camera, having Skype installed can have a bug that nukes the battery.

Doesn't say anything about the camera but Android OS seems to be going a bit nuts

JohnK wrote: »
    Doesn't say anything about the camera but Android OS seems to be going a bit nuts

Restarted the device today?

maybe get a battery stats app to see what process is going to town on your batt.

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Restarted the device today?

maybe get a battery stats app to see what process is going to town on your batt.
    No I haven't restarted in about a week or so but will try it now to see if there is any difference tomorrow. I've also just installed better battery stats but it seems it requires root for some of the stats now so not sure if that'll tell me much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Android OS is killing the battery sporadically on both my nexus 5 and 7 recently. I've no idea why. Some days it can account for almost 60% usage, others maybe 5% or less. It's baffling me, but I can't really think of any difference in usage between the days to explain why it kicked off!

When android OS is high on the usage stats, my battery can be down to 15% remaining by 8-9 at night. When it's not high on the stats list, by the time I go to bed, around 11 - 12, I can have between 60 - 75% remaining.

To say it's causing battery drain, would be an understatment. Just no idea why!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Total opposite here battery life has been great the last while, though that might have something to do with me reducing my open tabs from +44 down to single digits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

There's goes the long way of ordering a Nexus 5...
    Available now on Google Play :)
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

There's goes the long way of ordering a Nexus 5...
    Available now on Google Play :)
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb&hl=en
    At long last :)

TGLMLQV.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 A1an006

Haha saw this, this morning. Thought I hadn't woken up properly :D

On a less lighter note, Google announced Google Play Movies support for an additional 39 countries. Of course Ireland isn't one of them.. Why do we always get pushed to the side by Google?

List of countries with Google Play Movies: Angola, Aruba, Benin, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Finland, Gabon, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Ivory Coast, Luxembourg, Mali, Mauritius, Namibia, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Niger, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Portugal, Rwanda, Senegal, Sweden, Togo, Uruguay, Venezuela and Zambia.
    Source: TechnoBuffalo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A1an006 wrote: »
    Haha saw this, this morning. Thought I hadn't woken up properly :D

On a less lighter note, Google announced Google Play Movies support for an additional 39 countries. Of course Ireland isn't one of them.. Why do we always get pushed to the side by Google?

List of countries with Google Play Movies: Angola, Aruba, Benin, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Finland, Gabon, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Ivory Coast, Luxembourg, Mali, Mauritius, Namibia, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Niger, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Portugal, Rwanda, Senegal, Sweden, Togo, Uruguay, Venezuela and Zambia.
    Source: TechnoBuffalo

I don't know a lot about it but it might not be a case of Google skipping us over. I don't think someone at Google said 'should we release play movies in Ireland?' 'Nah feck that place let's go with Togo first'. Licencing rights are negotiated on a country by country basis from the rights holders. Maybe the rights holders in Ireland don't want Google to licence their movies so won't even negotiate with them. Or maybe the price they're looking for is more than Google is willing to give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 A1an006

I don't know a lot about it but it might not be a case of Google skipping us over. I don't think someone at Google said 'should we release play movies in Ireland?' 'Nah feck that place let's go with Togo first'. Licencing rights are negotiated on a country by country basis from the rights holders. Maybe the rights holders in Ireland don't want Google to licence their movies so won't even negotiate with them. Or maybe the price they're looking for is more than Google is willing to give them.

I'd actually heard that before with Netflix - the reason they don't (didn't) have a great selection was due to some law (or lack of) in Ireland about not being allowed to release digital content before it is available in stores. (I could be completely wrong here so feel free to correct me!).

As regards Google; that was just a little rant :D I'm just a typical consumer.. I want all the Google things! As soon as they are released - no before! And for free! (kidding)

Having the Devices store available in Ireland is a big step towards having access to all that Google has to offer. Hopefully they'll keep adding to it regularly :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The weird thing is we get the phone and tablet but no Chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭j_lennon18

And it just got a lot cheaper on Amazon [£279 for 16GB]

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

The weird thing is we get the phone and tablet but no Chromecast.

I would say it was just that the devices launch in Ireland and Chromecast were being run by different department and the usual stuff with big companies, one department wasn’t speaking to the other. Give it a bit of time and it will probably appear.

As it’s now officially available in the UK at least we won’t have to pay higher prices on Amazon anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭baldshin

notmymark wrote: »
    I would say it was just that the devices launch in Ireland and Chromecast were being run by different department and the usual stuff with big companies, one department wasn’t speaking to the other. Give it a bit of time and it will probably appear.

As it’s now officially available in the UK at least we won’t have to pay higher prices on Amazon anymore.

Chromecast is cheaper on amazon than the play store at the moment!

May be because of the lack of Google Play Movies here?

Other than that, I can't see a reason why not.

Anyone buy the LG quickcover case for their N5?

It's £45 on amazon or €43 delivered from play store!

Am I right in thinking that's a very steep price for a phone cover? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I'd say it's a pretty high price since you can get much cheaper on Amazon & ebay.

You get what you pay for etc, etc... but I'd imagine there is quite a high mark up on that case purely because it's the only case to get the 'Official' stamp.

I've never had any problems with my cheap €6 flip cover I got for my Nexus 4 on ebay.

EDIT: Link to the cover -> http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271224865200

• Advertisement

Considering I bought a chromecast on amazon today for less than it, it's probably pretty dear.

I was curious if anyone had bought this and what they made of it, but at that price, I doubt many have :)

I'll look at some of the alternatives, thanks!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Anyone buy the LG quickcover case for their N5?

It's £45 on amazon or €43 delivered from play store!

Am I right in thinking that's a very steep price for a phone cover? :eek:

I didn’t get it but I got the Bumper Case it with my N5. Absolutely the worst case I have ever seen for a phone….

I didn’t get it but I got the Bumper Case it with my N5. Absolutely the worst case I have ever seen for a phone….

The bumper is only €10 less than the cover, they are shocking prices I think.

The last phone I bothered with a cover for was a galaxy S2. That started to break after around 30 mins. Only €8 delivered from ebay, but still I haven't bothered since!

Did you get the official one? I thought it would be good, nearly bought one this morning. For the price you post it should be excellent.

Did you get the official one? I thought it would be good, nearly bought one this morning. For the price you post it should be excellent.

Yes it was the official one from the Play Store. I thought the exact same thing and being excited about ordering the Nexus 5 I decided to pay the extra and get a case. I normally don’t use cases but thought it would be handy to have in case I ever needed it. It arrived with my phone and I was shocked how bad it was….

Its bulky, feels crap and isn’t even a tight fit with the phone. Defiantly not worth the money!!!

I'm just happy that I can get my Nexus gear from Google/Irish play store without jumping through hoops! bring on the nexus 6!

god's toy wrote: »
    I'm just happy that I can get my Nexus gear from Google/Irish play store without jumping through hoops! bring on the nexus 6!

I agree! Although the N4 was harder to get for me personally than the N5, it should be a piece of piss to get the N6 :D

My thoughts on the accessories being overpriced is that since the Nexus devices themselves aren't being sold at a profit, Google decided they could at least make some money selling cases/bumbers etc at a higher price.

Or, so I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Seeing the Nexus 6 rumours popping up on Google now this morning. Better dust off the credit card soon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Are Meteor doing the 16gb or 32gb N5?
    Have a free upgrade available and don't know whether to go for the N5 or Z1?

Advertisement