Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Are Meteor doing the 16gb or 32gb N5?
    Have a free upgrade available and don't know whether to go for the N5 or Z1?

Just looked, not expecting to see anything...
    https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/nexus-5
    ^ Never saw that coming. Three have it too.

EDIT: Just re-read your Q, not sure what size it is. Not much info on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

i love my nexus 5. over 4 months and no problems. when i think of all the crap i had with my S3 and motherboard dying. just thought id share

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

marcbrophy wrote: »

Not enough for me.Pity they don't have the 32gb version.
    Looks like it`ll be the Z1 so.

Not enough for me.Pity they don't have the 32gb version.
    Looks like it`ll be the Z1 so.

I know what you mean.
    I had the 16gb Nexus 4, as it was the largest size when I bought it. I never had any issues with space with it, so when the N5 came out, I went for the 16gb version also.
    Kinda wished I hadn't now as I seem to be teetering between 2-3gb free space all the time. Still, it's mainly spotify and google music caching the music I play for offline playback. And a few stupidly large games, like Fifa 14 taking up 1.8gb that are my main issues.
    Properly managed, 16gb is generally fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Just looked at the three prices

The nexus is 329 with a 12 month contract. But you can buy the phone directly from Google for 349 and get a better Sim only contract for about €5 less per month.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I know what you mean.
    I had the 16gb Nexus 4, as it was the largest size when I bought it. I never had any issues with space with it, so when the N5 came out, I went for the 16gb version also.
    Kinda wished I hadn't now as I seem to be teetering between 2-3gb free space all the time. Still, it's mainly spotify and google music caching the music I play for offline playback. And a few stupidly large games, like Fifa 14 taking up 1.8gb that are my main issues.
    Properly managed, 16gb is generally fine :)

My current phone (Xperia t) came with 16gb and I ended up buying a 32gb card for it.I currently have 6 gb free.

Pity the N5 doesn't have a sd slot.Why do phone makers keep deciding what space WE need.Its annoying and one reason I left Apple years ago.

My current phone (Xperia t) came with 16gb and I ended up buying a 32gb card for it.I currently have 6 gb free.

Pity the N5 doesn't have a sd slot.Why do phone makers keep deciding what space WE need.Its annoying and one reason I left Apple years ago.

I wish it had expandable too.
    But from what I can see from googles pov is that they are trying to push cloud services to the consumer, so expandable memory is the enemy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Does anyone else find the battery very subpar on nexus 5 ? I would class myself as a heavy enough user. Every other smartphone i've used (galaxy S4 and iPhone 5) had no problem getting through an entire day while I need to recharge by 4 or 5pm with this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

maybe because it slows a system down, personally my last galaxy nexus was 16GB and i never even nearly went close to full, my N5 is 32Gb (i asked for a 16Gb but got a 32Gb) and im nowhere close to filling it. Ive plenty of apps plenty of photo/videos and a few movies and 100s of comics. imo 16Gb is fine 32Gb is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭baldshin

Hey folks, I'm looking to get a nexus 5. Was gonna buy it here through google play store, but I'm moving to Australia in a couple of weeks for a year or so. I've spotted that the nexus over there works out at about €90 cheaper. What I'm wondering is if the Oz nexus will work on 4g over here when I return, or are there any other issues with buying over there and returning here next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

baldshin wrote: »
    Hey folks, I'm looking to get a nexus 5. Was gonna buy it here through google play store, but I'm moving to Australia in a couple of weeks for a year or so. I've spotted that the nexus over there works out at about €90 cheaper. What I'm wondering is if the Oz nexus will work on 4g over here when I return, or are there any other issues with buying over there and returning here next year?

We use 800MHz and 1800MHz bands for 4G in Ireland, and a quick Google suggests that carriers in the Oz use 1800MHz, so you should be fine. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G_Australia#Frequencies )

I think the Nexus 5 sold in America is the only one different, the others are international versions.*

*Correct me if I'm wrong there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

We use 800MHz and 1800MHz bands for 4G in Ireland, and a quick Google suggests that carriers in the Oz use 1800MHz, so you should be fine. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G_Australia#Frequencies )

I think the Nexus 5 sold in America is the only one different, the others are international versions.*

*Correct me if I'm wrong there

The above is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

More and more people are getting nexus 5 now, I own a white version and I've already seen 4 people have it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Anytime I try to search the Play store over 3g, I just get "Connection timed out". Browsers and other apps work perfectly.

Any solutions? I have my preferred network as 3G. I'm on O2. Really annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    Anytime I try to search the Play store over 3g, I just get "Connection timed out". Browsers and other apps work perfectly.

Never happened to me before. I have the problem that the phone goes roaming mode sometimes after I got it to a no network area.

I'm on three anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RunDMC

It's happened to me a few times, I'm on O2, and it only affects the Play Store. In fact, it's timing out right now.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

anyone know where i can order the official nexus wireless charger from? It's the only one I can find that has the magnets built in

• Registered Users Posts: 21 A1an006

beanian wrote: »
    anyone know where i can order the official nexus wireless charger from? It's the only one I can find that has the magnets built in

http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Wireless-Charger-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B00GN1YKBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395739115&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+wireless+charger :) That's where I got mine from, and had no issue with it being sent outside of the US (i.e. to an Irish address). They charge import fees of €10.16 to cover any excise duty so it shouldn't be seized or anything. If the excise duty comes to less than that amount, they refund you the difference. I got €1.25 back. Not much, but wasn't expecting anything!
    Currently the total cost is $72.04 or €54.32 if Amazon convert it for you. I always let the bank convert it though, as they have slightly better rates (AIB anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

A1an006 wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Wireless-Charger-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B00GN1YKBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395739115&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+wireless+charger :) That's where I got mine from, and had no issue with it being sent outside of the US (i.e. to an Irish address). They charge import fees of €10.16 to cover any excise duty so it shouldn't be seized or anything. If the excise duty comes to less than that amount, they refund you the difference. I got €1.25 back. Not much, but wasn't expecting anything!
    Currently the total cost is $72.04 or €54.32 if Amazon convert it for you. I always let the bank convert it though, as they have slightly better rates (AIB anyway).

Does this come with the annoying US plug!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 A1an006

madmoe wrote: »
    Does this come with the annoying US plug!?

Unfortunately yeah. They don't officially sell the wireless charger outside the US (last time I checked anyway). I got an adapter in Tesco for like €2 though so it wasn't an issue. You can always just plug the USB end into the adapter that came with the Nexus phone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

For those who ordered via Ireland Google Play, how long did it take before your Nexus 5 arrived?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Triangla wrote: »
    For those who ordered via Ireland Google Play, how long did it take before your Nexus 5 arrived?

1-2 business days according to the page...

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

I would have had it in next day except DHL - bless 'em - delivered it to the wrong address, so I had a few more days wait while they retrieved the package and delivered it to the right person.

Worth it though, I love the N5 and the voice recognition.

"OK Computer play Radiohead OK Computer" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Unfortunately yeah. They don't officially sell the wireless charger outside the US (last time I checked anyway). I got an adapter in Tesco for like €2 though so it wasn't an issue. You can always just plug the USB end into the adapter that came with the Nexus phone as well.

My brother brought me one from the US at Xmas and because of the US plug I hardly used it! Sold it a few weeks on Adverts.ie back and ordered a UK one that I picked up when I was over there for the weekend. Now I use it each and every night! I had checked by plugging the USB end into the original Nexus 5 wall wart\plug and it was not able to supply enough power to the black charging square! A tiny red light appears on the square and the Nexus 5 will not charge when placed on it! Just a heads up for anyone if you are going to try!

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

It available on the continent as well.... obviously would still need an adapter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

TJ Mackie wrote: »

Happening to me all the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Ordered it last Thursday evening, arrived Monday morning. No hiccups at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Ordered mine today. Hope to have it before the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I ordered yesterday and it's showing as shipped alreaady. Tracking says it's with courier for delivery.

That's really prompt.

I feel bad for everyone who had to jump through rings to order from other jurisdictions.

Advertisement