Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Triangla wrote: »
    I ordered yesterday and it's showing as shipped alreaady. Tracking says it's with courier for delivery.

That's really prompt.

I feel bad for everyone who had to jump through rings to order from other jurisdictions.

Mine still says dispatched from warehouse on 27/03 :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

One 32gb Nexus 5 ordered.
    Fingers crossed I'll survive transferring from IOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

horgan_p wrote: »
    One 32gb Nexus 5 ordered.
    Fingers crossed I'll survive transferring from IOS.

Nexus 5 is a great phone, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

matrim wrote: »

Mine said that too when I ordered it, I got it 20 mins ago.

Excellent from Google.

I now have a Nexus 5, 7 & Chromecast. I only realised last night when looking up Nexus 5 stuff that I've gone from nothing Google a year ago to all Google now without consciously deciding.

I've drifted there because of price/quality.

Is Google going to be the new Apple?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Excellent from Google.

I now have a Nexus 5, 7 & Chromecast. I only realised last night when looking up Nexus 5 stuff that I've gone from nothing Google a year ago to all Google now without consciously deciding.

Similar to you I have a Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Chromecast and a Galaxy Nexus as me backup phone ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

madmoe wrote: »
    Similar to you I have a Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Chromecast and a Galaxy Nexus as me backup phone ;-)
    I've the N5 , Chromecast and a Galaxy Nexus for backup, Can't really make the transition to tablet just yet I find them a bit restrictive for my needs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Excellent from Google.

This happened to me too, I've got GP Editions of the Z1, HTC One and S4 plus a Nexus 5 a Nexus 7 2012 and ordering a Chromecast, which I don't actually need I just want it.

I also use Google+ which is even scarier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I ordered yesterday and it's showing as shipped alreaady. Tracking says it's with courier for delivery.

That's really prompt.

I feel bad for everyone who had to jump through rings to order from other jurisdictions.

I kind of enjoyed jumping through the hoops to get my Nexus 5 from the UK Play Store :)

I have a feeling I'll be doing it again for future Google hardware due to a significant price differential between the Ireland and UK Play Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

polaris68 wrote: »
    I kind of enjoyed jumping through the hoops to get my Nexus 5 from the UK Play Store :)

I have a feeling I'll be doing it again for future Google hardware due to a significant price differential between the Ireland and UK Play Stores.

Now that would be a total pain! Surely when the Nexus 6 comes out we will be able to buy it as as soon as everyone else!? Aren't they all shipped from Dublin anyhow!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Not shipped from Dublin, Google have their financial offices in Dublin.
    Well at least when we were still ordering from the UK play store the device was shipped from the UK. That might have changed with them opening the Devices Play store here.

EDIT: I was under the impression the Nexus 5 was cheaper in the Irish play store than the UK??
    Black 32GB Nexus 5
    UK: £339
    Irish: €399
    Not much in it, a little more expensive in the UK based on Googles currency converter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Not shipped from Dublin, Google have their financial offices in Dublin.
    Well at least when we were still ordering from the UK play store the device was shipped from the UK. That might have changed with them opening the Devices Play store here.

EDIT: I was under the impression the Nexus 5 was cheaper in the Irish play store than the UK??
    Black 32GB Nexus 5
    Not much in it, a little more expensive in the UK based on Googles currency converter.

You're right. Shipped from the UK.

Price is good alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Does anyone know if the US model works over here? Is it just the 4g that doesnt work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

delta214 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the US model works over here? Is it just the 4g that doesnt work?

Works fine but 4G won't work here

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I ordered mine Saturday and got it Tuesday afternoon. However it still had the dispatching from warehouse on 25/03 status on the order page even though it was delivered.
    I didn't receive the shipping email till after I had the phone, I actually read it on the Nexus 5!

beanian wrote: »
    I ordered mine Saturday and got it Tuesday afternoon. However it still had the dispatching from warehouse on 25/03 status on the order page even though it was delivered.
    I didn't receive the shipping email till after I had the phone, I actually read it on the Nexus 5!

I got the shipping email a couple of hours after I'd posted. It's currently out with the delivery courier and I hope to get it later today :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Ordered yesterday , phone call from the courier to say its with him for delivery this morning.

*edit : just arrived ! *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Fluffy88 wrote: »

Black 32GB Nexus 5

Cheers - didn't realise that and it's good to hear. Hopefully it will continue for future hardware sold through the Ireland Play Store.

Do you have to do anything special to get 4G with Three?

I have LTE Preferred in the network settings. I've only been away from WiFi once today for about 10 minutes and had HSPDA, but this was in dublin city center so I would have expected 4G

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Got mine delivered today, I'm with Meteor though where you need a 4G plan :mad: A cost which I can't justify at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Do you have to do anything special to get 4G with Three?

I have LTE Preferred in the network settings. I've only been away from WiFi once today for about 10 minutes and had HSPDA, but this was in dublin city center so I would have expected 4G

It should pick it up. Takes a while for it to get it. Select network preference to LTE, do a network search and select 3, then hit 'select preferred network'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just a quick question. Do the carrier supplied nexus 5s come with loads if bloatware or is it just a clean installation of android?

Just seen one for the first time today in the bright orangey colour and it fantastic. I was going to keep my upgrade and get the xperia z2 but it now looks like we won't see them til may sometime, so will likely pick one of these up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just a quick question. Do the carrier supplied nexus 5s come with loads if bloatware or is it just a clean installation of android?

Just seen one for the first time today in the bright orangey colour and it fantastic. I was going to keep my upgrade and get the xperia z2 but it now looks like we won't see them til may sometime, so will likely pick one of these up?

I wouldn't think the carriers would be allowed by Google to skin a Nexus with bloatware, but you never know, I wouldn't be surprised if they did all the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Thinking about one of these, anybody tell me if the battery lasts the day or is as bad as some are saying?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Thinking about one of these, anybody tell me if the battery lasts the day or is as bad as some are saying?

Thanks

That depends on how you use it, your signal, brightness, amount of videos you watch, amount calls you receive, amount of widgets you use etc. YMMV. I have no problem getting the day most days, I'm a heavy user but know how to manage Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

You're right. Shipped from the UK.

Price is good alright.

Shipped from UK, taxed in Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

That depends on how you use it, your signal, brightness, amount of videos you watch, amount calls you receive, amount of widgets you use etc. YMMV. I have no problem getting the day most days, I'm a heavy user but know how to manage Android.

+1

On average I get about a day. Roughly the same as the S3 I had before, and S2 before that.. So nothing new really.

Just be conscious of your power usage, closing any apps that won't be used as they will drain the battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

The girlfriend is going to pick one of these up in the states for $350. Really good value. I picked up the nexus 4 there last year for a similar price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The girlfriend is going to pick one of these up in the states for $350. Really good value. I picked up the nexus 4 there last year for a similar price.

Why not buy it here for €350 and be able to use LTE too?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Why not buy it here for €350 and be able to use LTE too?

Cheaper if bought in the US. Comes out to €255 with conversions.
    Chances are s/he doesn't have/use LTE here. Most don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Chances are s/he doesn't have/use LTE here. Most don't.

I'm sure s/he is going to have the phone longer than a few months. Make the phone better future proof by getting one that has 4G working.

Advertisement