Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been asked ad naseum but is this worth the 349, and if not, what is a better value phone?

Cheers

there hardly is a better value phone available right now.

the only other option would be the moto g, which is decent too, but only has mid specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Any point in going from Nexus 4 to Nexus 5? I can't really see much difference apart from the nexus 4 being better looking from the outside kind of. Should I wait for the nexus 6 to be announced?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

murfilein wrote: »
    there hardly is a better value phone available right now.

the only other option would be the moto g, which is decent too, but only has mid specs.

Cheers, notice amazon are doing the moto g unlocked for 119 delivered in sterling, that sounds like a bargain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=moto+g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Any point in going from Nexus 4 to Nexus 5? I can't really see much difference apart from the nexus 4 being better looking from the outside kind of. Should I wait for the nexus 6 to be announced?

I upgraded, and found that the better battery life, LTE radio and improved camera made it a worthwhile upgrade.

I will most likely upgrade again when the N6 is announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Cheers, notice amazon are doing the moto g unlocked for 119 delivered in sterling, that sounds like a bargain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=moto+g

You shouldn't really compare the two, nexus is high end, moto g is budget, no common parts

• Advertisement

gerryk wrote: »
    I upgraded, and found that the better battery life

i really dont find the battery life too nice. my nexus s had much better battery life, which is the only disappointing feat of the n5 so far. its far from bad, just worse from the nexus s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

You shouldn't really compare the two, nexus is high end, moto g is budget, no common parts

But £119 is a great price right?

The 350e is streching it a little.

I really need to stop using my Huawei y300, it's driving me ****ing demented.

yes but Cyber Ghost asked for another good-value phone.

and regarding price-performance-ratio, the moto g is the second best after the n5.

i really dont find the battery life too nice. my nexus s had much better battery life, which is the only disappointing feat of the n5 so far. its far from bad, just worse from the nexus s.

The Nexus S had a single core CPU, SAMOLED display and quarter the screen resolution. It's not really like-for-like.

gerryk wrote: »
    The Nexus S had a single core CPU, SAMOLED display and quarter the screen resolution. It's not really like-for-like.

yeah i know. although i had the SLCD version. still, this only shows that battery technology is far behind and not catching up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

To be honest I'm actually very disappointed with the N5, primarily for the reasons below, and if I had the choice to go back I wouldn't buy it again.

1. The microphone for calls is absolute bollocks so if you're using it primarily as a phone then thats a problem. I've lost count of the number of people who tell me they cant hear a word I'm saying while on calls.

2. The camera leaves a hell of a lot to be desired although I believe there are some camera related fixes due to roll out in the next update so hopefully that will finally be addressed.

3. Its an almost daily occurrence that it'll completely lose network connection for a short period; no obvious reason for it as where I live has perfect coverage yet nearly every day I see the phone tell me it has no network connection. What concerns me most about this is if I notice it this much then how often is it happening while in my pocket or on a table somewhere while I'm not looking at the screen?

And this is my second one as the first had to be RMA'd due to the amount of issues with it.

Frankly I can't wait for something better to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Been humming and haughing about upgrading my N4 to N5. Was pretty pissed when I found out the Nexus 4 didn't have 4G capabilities.

But in saying that from having a fair amount of hands on, with a few friends who have an N5, I don't see any reason to upgrade. Granted the price wouldn't be a major factor for me, it's not worth €300+ for an upgrade, but defintily worth it for a first entry.

Hopefully the N6 has some major jumps making it a worthwhile purchase

JohnK wrote: »
    To be honest I'm actually very disappointed with the N5, primarily for the reasons below, and if I had the choice to go back I wouldn't buy it again.

1. The microphone for calls is absolute bollocks so if you're using it primarily as a phone then thats a problem. I've lost count of the number of people who tell me they cant hear a word I'm saying while on calls.

2. The camera leaves a hell of a lot to be desired although I believe there are some camera related fixes due to roll out in the next update so hopefully that will finally be addressed.

3. Its an almost daily occurrence that it'll completely lose network connection for a short period; no obvious reason for it as where I live has perfect coverage yet nearly every day I see the phone tell me it has no network connection. What concerns me most about this is if I notice it this much then how often is it happening while in my pocket or on a table somewhere while I'm not looking at the screen?

And this is my second one as the first had to be RMA'd due to the amount of issues with it.

Frankly I can't wait for something better to come along.

do you happen to have a launch-timeframe n5? think all these problems, and i've heard of them before, only occur on "early" devices. my n5 doesnt have any of these problems, and i bought it last week off the play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

hhmm JohnK looks like you are just unlucky, I have the N5 since release and had none of those problems (don't really use the camera though)

only problem I had was headphone sound wasn't loud enough but fixed that with a Volume mod from XDA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

All fine here too and i have mine from launch day, not one issue with it. Though i did get a scare when i thought i blew one of the bottom speakers but before i sent it back i done some research only to find out only one of them is a speaker :o

Have to say its my favourite phone ive ever had, it simply works like its supposed to, effortlessly and flawlessly imo. So glad i dumped my S4 for it, i wont get another Samsung well unless they do a Galaxy Nexus 2 :D, man i loved my Galaxy Nexus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah mine would probably have been one of the initial batch alright, first one was shipped on November 2nd then the replacement was shipped on November 11th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

wonder when will we get the update?
    Next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Upgrade my Nexus 4 to the 5 a couple of days go. Wow the screen really is stunning, worth the upgade alone imo. I have found battery life great too (so far!) easily get through the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nukin_futs

Hi all,
    About to purchase one and trying to decide which colour to get. All my phones up to now have invariably been black. White doesn't really appeal to me. Can anyone comment on the red? Does it look exactly like the image on Play store?
    Should I open myself up to white?

(Will be getting a cover anyway, but possibly the see-through one from a few pages back)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

nukin_futs wrote: »
    Hi all,
    About to purchase one and trying to decide which colour to get. All my phones up to now have invariably been black. White doesn't really appeal to me. Can anyone comment on the red? Does it look exactly like the image on Play store?

(Will be getting a cover anyway, but possibly the see-thorugh one from a few pages back)

You could always get the red and buy the black back cover from ebay or somewhere in the future if you wanted a change:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Rear-Battery-Cover-LG-D820-LG-D821-Google-Nexus-5-Black-Negro-ORIGINAL-/181254599302

• Advertisement

do you happen to have a launch-timeframe n5? think all these problems, and i've heard of them before, only occur on "early" devices. my n5 doesnt have any of these problems, and i bought it last week off the play store.

I got mine on release day, and I have had none of these issues. I upgraded from an N4, and I thought the difference would be small... it's like night and day.

Hi all,

(Will be getting a cover anyway, but possibly the see-thorugh one from a few pages back)

If I didn't already have a black one, I would get the red model in a heartbeat. They look stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Hi all,

I had the same dilemma as yourself when deciding colour. As I had darker coloured phones before, I decided to spice things up and got the white. It does get a bit dirty, but that's due to me being outdoors on a daily basis.

For the red colour I haven't seen it in person, but there's Youtuber Marques Brownlee that has a side-by-side comparison of the the three colours.

As a poster said above, you could easily get the red or white and get a black cover for it. If you want to show off the colour there are cases, such as the Spigen Ultra Hybrid, that have a clear back. I'm currently waiting on it to arrive so can't say much on build quality just yet, but reviews show it to be good from other sites and here.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nukin_futs

Thanks for the replies. I must check out the video of side-by-side comparisons. Leaning towards red now.

The cover I saw before ws this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/CUSHION-Anti...=IVX3ELM4TL5TC

which allows you to show off the phone. Obviously I could just get whichever colour case if I want a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Wireless charger arrived today. Seems to charge nice and quick, magnetic grip. Messing around to see if it can do two at once, saw it on a YouTube video recently so would be handy.

Also got the grey bumper, it's not as bad as I had expected. Bits well, not very bulky. It's not 30 quids worth but it's definitely better than one of the spigens I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Wireless charger arrived today. Seems to charge nice and quick, magnetic grip. Messing around to see if it can do two at once, saw it on a YouTube video recently so would be handy.

Also got the grey bumper, it's not as bad as I had expected. Bits well, not very bulky. It's not 30 quids worth but it's definitely better than one of the spigens I have.

When did you order yours and did you choose standard delivery? Ordered mine Tuesday night but haven't got it yet but someone else here ordered standard delivery and got it by 1pm next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

I ordered a phone and charger on Wednesday evening and they arrived today. Super service.

Looking forward to going back to android after a spell on Windows phone.

Hi all,

(Will be getting a cover anyway, but possibly the see-through one from a few pages back)

also being a black-gizmos guy, i bought the red one, though its more like bright orange, sometimes it can even appear to be rather pinkish.

its still sexy though, in my opinion. i bought the black case with it, so usually you only see the red on the speaker grill, the usb and headset jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Hi all,

I got the red, its beautiful. I think its abit more florescent red than the pics on google. Either way I really like it makes a nice change from black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    When did you order yours and did you choose standard delivery? Ordered mine Tuesday night but haven't got it yet but someone else here ordered standard delivery and got it by 1pm next day...

Ordered Monday and got it this morning.

Edit - actually ordered Tuesday evening.

Advertisement