Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Like already suggested turn off LTE, constantly changing will always kill the battery. For me who is someone who's usually on wifi and not always roaming I'm getting much better battery life on this phone than I got on any other Android before.

Agreed, never had issues on wifi either.
    But my point stands, for a device that has only a slightly smaller battery than something like the S4 it has significantly worse performance on mobile data in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You're not alone in your view yllw.ldbttr I had only posted a similar view this morning in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The lips

Thanks for the LTE tip. I don't have a 4g sim card fitted but had LTE as preferred by default.

Did anyone else get a new addition to the camera today, along with a new icon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

The lips wrote: »
    Thanks for the LTE tip. I don't have a 4g sim card fitted but had LTE as preferred by default.

Did anyone else get a new addition to the camera today, along with a new icon?

Yep went up yesterday.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/16/breaking-google-releases-stock-camera-app-to-the-play-store/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Just got the Qi wireless charger from AliExpress.

Works great. Charges really fast as well.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6037840778.html

Phone beeps to confirm charging and a blue led flashes to give an ongoing visual indication.

€10 shipped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I hadn't noticed it before but i seem to have a swype style keyboard. Is it new or has it always been there

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

matrim wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed it before but i seem to have a swype style keyboard. Is it new or has it always been there

Yeah the swype keyboard was always there. Its good to use aswell and theres plenty of customisations in your settings. I also found it to be more accurate when I upped the pointer speed. As soon as I saved some irishisms into it, Ive become a full time sywper!

cgarrad wrote: »
    Just got the Qi wireless charger from AliExpress.

Works great. Charges really fast as well.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6037840778.html

Phone beeps to confirm charging and a blue led flashes to give an ongoing visual indication.

€10 shipped!

Does the charger hold the phone by magnet like the LG one on the play store?

I would like to mount it vertically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

The lips wrote: »
    Does the charger hold the phone by magnet like the LG one on the play store?

I would like to mount it vertically.

Got a couple of them myself. No magnets, phone just sits on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

The camera app update is impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

emo72 wrote: »
    The camera app update is impressive.

Really? How so? I haven't had a chance to properly check it out yet, but an immediate concern is that the button take a good chunk from the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

keith16 wrote: »
    Really? How so? I haven't had a chance to properly check it out yet, but an immediate concern is that the button take a good chunk from the screen?

Well I just made a video in dark conditions and it turned out great. I was impressed. Granted that's not too scientific, but it's all I got right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Sorry for bumping up a giant thread (and the thousands of notification emails it will trigger, ouch..) but I am a bit disappointed with Nexus 5.

The problem I have is that Nexus 5 seems to be draining battery faster than it can charge. For instance, if I try using it in car as a GPS device, running a game like Ingress that uses GPS etc, even if I keep the phone on charge (lighter socket -> USB convertor) and I can see the phone is charging, but it still dies eventually as it's using up more battery than it's getting from the micro usb.

Is this normal, or is it something wrong with my particular unit? I don't run many other things in the background, just Llama etc.

positron wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping up a giant thread (and the thousands of notification emails it will trigger, ouch..) but I am a bit disappointed with Nexus 5.

The problem I have is that Nexus 5 seems to be draining battery faster than it can charge. For instance, if I try using it in car as a GPS device, running a game like Ingress that uses GPS etc, even if I keep the phone on charge (lighter socket -> USB convertor) and I can see the phone is charging, but it still dies eventually as it's using up more battery than it's getting from the micro usb.

Is this normal, or is it something wrong with my particular unit? I don't run many other things in the background, just Llama etc.

Are you using the stock charger cable or something after market?
    I've a few different cables, and I get the same thing only with a cheap one that I bought on ebay. I've a charger that came with my kindle, a blackberry one and a Samsung one and they all charge it much much faster than I can discharge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

I couldn't be sure to be honest. There are so many of these usb-micro-usb cables lying around, I couldn't be sure if I am using the one that came with the phone. I did read in XDA forums about how good quality cables effect charging - I'll look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

positron wrote: »

What current ampage is the charger? A standard cig lighter charger gives 500mA (the same as a Usb port on your computer) when most chargers are much stronger than that, up to 2100mA. The answer is to get a decent cig lighter charger, one with decent ampage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Ordered Monday evening. Delivered today.
    That's efficient delivery!

Weird issue with changing from sound to vibrate to silent.

I was fairly certain that up until recently if I hit the volume down hardware button it would reduce volume, then go to vibrate, then go to silent.
    This seems to have changed on my device, whether due to a setting or an update.
    Now the volume hardware button only reduces the volume, I need to press the power button for a few seconds and select silent or vibrate to do the same thing.

Stock nexus 5. Anyone experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Weird issue with changing from sound to vibrate to silent.

I was fairly certain that up until recently if I hit the volume down hardware button it would reduce volume, then go to vibrate, then go to silent.
    This seems to have changed on my device, whether due to a setting or an update.
    Now the volume hardware button only reduces the volume, I need to press the power button for a few seconds and select silent or vibrate to do the same thing.

Stock nexus 5. Anyone experienced this?

mine does go from sound to vibrate to silent when i use the hardware button. maybe its your android version? i'm on 4.4.2.

does anyone else have an issue with the automatic scrolling? i'm talking about scrolling in maps, for example. use the address bar to type in any address, city or country. make sure you are far away from the address. when you enter it and hit Go, maps starts to scroll over there. however, after a 2 seconds or so, it will just stop to scroll. you can highlight to address bar and press "go" again, and it will continue to scroll to the destination. if its very far away it will again stop in the middle.

its strange. the same issue in the family guy game. when you do something that makes the camera stick to a character while he goes somewhere, the camera will just stop to follow him after 2 or 3 seconds.

anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

i went to dublin, zoomed in a bit. typed in galway and confirmed. it starts flying and simply stops over clara/kilbeggan/tullamore.

i go the the type-bar again and click the search button again. it continues flying, now stops over craughwell/loughrea.

click search again, now galway can be seen on the left side of the screen, but it doesnt go so far to actually center galway.

it needs 4 or 5 further clicks on "search" for gaylway to get centerd.

i'm currently at my eleventh click on "search", and its still zooming a little bit every time i click "search". not sure how far it wants to zoom in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi guys,
    Wondering if anyone can help. I have a UK nexus 5 and in the US, I've put an att sim card in it. Go phone plan with 2.5gb data allowance for a month. I'm not seeing Lte though... Which makes me wonder has the UK nexus the lte radios for the US?

Hi guys,
    Wondering if anyone can help. I have a UK nexus 5 and in the US, I've put an att sim card in it. Go phone plan with 2.5gb data allowance for a month. I'm not seeing Lte though... Which makes me wonder has the UK nexus the lte radios for the US?

A US phone would not pick up UK 4g so I would imagine UK to US would be the same.

The reason it has not been mentioned before is probably because US phones are less expensive thus less of an incentive to import a European model to the US.

yes, they have different 4g frequencies in the US than we have in europe. and iirc, there are even several different frequencies throughout europe. so you may be able to get 4g in one european country, but not in another. you should check if your phone supports the frequencies available in your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

D820 is the US model
    D821 is for outside of the US

Something to watch for when buying secondhand too as many people don't make a reference to this in their adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

D820 is the US model
    D821 is for outside of the US

Something to watch for when buying secondhand too as many people don't make a reference to this in their adverts.

I understand that, but I have the UK model and in the UK for two weeks trip... looks like it wont support US LTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭bren2001

I understand that, but I have the UK model and in the UK for two weeks trip... looks like it wont support US LTE?

The UK model wont support US LTE and the US model wont support UK LTE. They are on different frequency bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Anyone particularly prefer the S4, I lost my nexus and got a S4 to replace but just can't enjoy it as much, much prefer the vanilla experience and design of the phone.

Would consider a swap if someone was interested

Anyone particularly prefer the S4, I lost my nexus and got a S4 to replace but just can't enjoy it as much, much prefer the vanilla experience and design of the phone.

I got rid of my S4 for a nexus 5.
    I know the specs might say otherwise but I personally consider the Nexus 5 a superior phone and experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Sold my S4 to fund my Nexus 5 too, you will sell your S4 easily it should cover the cost of an N5

I hated the S4 in comparison

Advertisement