Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Oh yes, I'll use the toolkit to update, that's what I usually end up doing anyway.

That toolkit always give me issues, but I assume it's just cos of windows 8 :pac:
    Oh god yes, I thought I was going mad trying to get the driver and adb thing to work originally, deleting drivers, trying different ones, rebooting into W8 admin mode or whatever, AAAAGH! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Oh god yes, I thought I was going mad trying to get the driver and adb thing to work originally, deleting drivers, trying different ones, rebooting into W8 admin mode or whatever, AAAAGH! :D

Thankfully it all works in the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I've just tried the Xposed modules too, the YouTube AdAway one doesn't work (yet) but I got another one (Wanam Kit) that let's you change music track with the volume keys when the screen is off, handy for phone in pocket :)
    Has some other features too, great yokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just a heads up on keenly priced high output chargers.

I stumbled across this thread on XDA:

XDA Member mmmmBACON has posted up some tests and links to sellers worldwide.

Hands down the BEST/FASTEST/CHEAPEST Nexus 5 Charger (Update: US/CDN/UK deals)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/accessories/hands-best-fastest-nexus-5-charger-t2729066

Certain Blackberry chargers output 1.8A and come with world plug adapters, along with 6ft of cable. Generally these chargers are being sold for a good deal less than the price of comparable chargers.

From the XDA post, I picked up 2 from Amazon.co.uk, for less than £5 each, though Parcel Motel is needed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-Portable-PlayBook-International-Charger/dp/B004XKG7NM/

Specifically, I bought mine from: Car Spares Direct

Blackberry_Charger.jpg

Handy to have.. and quality assured. Just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Hey everyone. I'm considering buying a nexus 5. Originally I was gonna get a note 3 but don't think I could justify spending more money on a second hand phone when I could get the nexus for less brand new. How's the battery life on it and peoples experiences with it? Reckon its worth waiting till googles conference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Hey everyone. I'm considering buying a nexus 5. Originally I was gonna get a note 3 but don't think I could justify spending more money on a second hand phone when I could get the nexus for less brand new. How's the battery life on it and peoples experiences with it? Reckon its worth waiting till googles conference?

Google I/O is only two weeks away, so you may as well hold out.

Battery life is decent in my Nexus 5, not as good as my HTC One or the One M8, but more than enough for a full day.

Yesterday for example I used it for maps, streaming music while driving and taking loads of photos and videos while on a family day out. By the time it had to be charged by 11pm last night it was to about 25 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Would there be any major downside to getting a Nexus 5 from Australia? (Friend is over there and coming home in 2 weeks. Have a N4 at the moment)

I know there is two versions, North America and rest of the world, so I'm guessing it's the same version as I would buy here.

It's a good bit cheaper, just wondering if I have missed anything?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just got 4.4.3 OTA; installing it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

JohnK wrote: »
    Just got 4.4.3 OTA; installing it now.

Just downloaded & installed.

Kinda wish I hadn't..... The dial & contacts apps are a step backwards.

Can I roll back the update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Just downloaded & installed.

Kinda wish I hadn't..... The dial & contacts apps are a step backwards.

Can I roll back the update?

It would be stupid to, it's not that bad, I quite like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

It would be stupid to, it's not that bad, I quite like it

Preferred the cleaner look, rather than the coloured tiles.

Why, is preferring an older version "stupid"?

I didn't say that, downgrading would be stupid, what happens when the release the next update?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Anyone having reception problems after update?

Got 4.4.3 last night. Everything ok apart from cell reception, it looks like it was disconnecting at set intervals over the night. ~(wifes sony was fine cell wise) going to keep an eye on it and reset to factory if needed. Hope I dont have to return under warranty now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I like that there is now a direct link to your contacts. It was really annoying before when you clicked on a contact and it rang them immediately when you actually just wanted to text them (from being used to other phones).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Would there be any major downside to getting a Nexus 5 from Australia? (Friend is over there and coming home in 2 weeks. Have a N4 at the moment)

I know there is two versions, North America and rest of the world, so I'm guessing it's the same version as I would buy here.

It's a good bit cheaper, just wondering if I have missed anything?

Cheers

Warranty only seems to be valid in the country it's bought it. Not worth the saving it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

After nearly losing my phone I'm considering buying some insurance. Can anyone recommend somewhere to get it from? Preferably a provider that doesn't try to get out of paying by using ****ty loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

hooplah wrote: »
    After nearly losing my phone I'm considering buying some insurance. Can anyone recommend somewhere to get it from? Preferably a provider that doesn't try to get out of paying by using ****ty loopholes.

Haven't claimed from them yet but have my phone insured through Meteor with these: https://www.mobilecover.ie/

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Wait what, I just finished installing 4.4.3 on it lol

It addresses a bug in SSL

• Advertisement

It addresses a bug in SSL

Yeah, just 2.45mb. Here's the 2.45mb update image to go from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4 instead of needlessly downloading the 400mb image like I initially did lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I got a moto g at launch just to dip my toe in Android waters (iPhone user up to then I'm embarrassed to say). Anyway while it's a great phone for the price I'm looking for something with a bit more power. The Nexus 5 is my front runner at the moment. Don't really like the look (or the price) of the HTC one. One plus one is annoyingly hard to get, a bit too big and has a chrome ring aroind the side - a bit too iPhone 3G for my liking. Plus I like to see a phone in the flesh before buying.

Anyway the Irish play store has been showing no stock for the Nexus 32gb in black. Has anyone any idea how long it usually takes them to restock? Also a little anxious that the next great android phone is just around the corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

digitaldr wrote: »
    I got a moto g at launch just to dip my toe in Android waters (iPhone user up to then I'm embarrassed to say). Anyway while it's a great phone for the price I'm looking for something with a bit more power. The Nexus 5 is my front runner at the moment. Don't really like the look (or the price) of the HTC one. One plus one is annoyingly hard to get, a bit too big and has a chrome ring aroind the side - a bit too iPhone 3G for my liking. Plus I like to see a phone in the flesh before buying.

Anyway the Irish play store has been showing no stock for the Nexus 32gb in black. Has anyone any idea how long it usually takes them to restock? Also a little anxious that the next great android phone is just around the corner!

Just a quick tip would be to wait until after Google I/O and see what new phones they announce then. Better for your money right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks for that tip - I've seen some rumors that they might be killing off the Nexus line of phones altogether - let's hope not!

Woah, 13 hours phone on time and battery still on 73%. Screen on time 1hr 42mins. Wifi on all day, viber messages, general use. It hasn't been this good since it was new :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Woah, 13 hours phone on time and battery still on 73%. Screen on time 1hr 42mins. Wifi on all day, viber messages, general use. It hasn't been this good since it was new :O

Mines been pretty sweet too, bar when I use a lot of Navigation. Have yo say I still love this phone nothing on the market yet would make me change.

I can't get over it. It was well dead by the end of the day before the updates.

8YkO3S8.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I've decided to order the N5 this week and was looking at ordering the wireless charger as well, is it worth it? Also I thought I read somewhere that it stops charging at 100%, is this true? The batteries in my last few samsungs were very bad mainly due to leaving them charging at night so that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭irishgeo

should i get a nexus 5 before they go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭mcw92

I've decided to order the N5 this week and was looking at ordering the wireless charger as well, is it worth it? Also I thought I read somewhere that it stops charging at 100%, is this true? The batteries in my last few samsungs were very bad mainly due to leaving them charging at night so that would be great!

Most chargers/phones these days cut of the charging once it reaches the 100% anyways.

Advertisement