Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm thinking of selling my Samsung galaxy note 3 and buying a nexus 5. Would any of ye think this is a good move ?

I was thinking of going the other way for the bigger screen! Is size the only reason for considering Nexus 5, or is there anything else you don't like about Note 3? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

positron wrote: »
    I was thinking of going the other way for the bigger screen! Is size the only reason for considering Nexus 5, or is there anything else you don't like about Note 3? Thanks!

The horrible Samsung crap turns most of us off, it's the main reason people opt for nexus devices and also the instant updates and longer support straight from Google

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

The horrible Samsung crap turns most of us off, it's the main reason people opt for nexus devices and also the instant updates and longer support straight from Google

Isn't that easy enough to get around with a root?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Isn't that easy enough to get around with a root?

No, Samsung take the Android Google release and add their own layer (touchwiz), you cannot remove it, the best you can do is change launcher, but everything else will still be touchwiz. Touchwiz is horrible and is known for lag issues, it's the reason the nexus 5 is snappier than an s5. Also you wait on Samsung for updates, nexus devices get updated instantly, straight from Google

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

No, Samsung take the Android Google release and add their own layer (touchwiz), you cannot remove it, the best you can do is change launcher, but everything else will still be touchwiz. Touchwiz is horrible and is known for lag issues, it's the reason the nexus 5 is snappier than an s5. Also you wait on Samsung for updates, nexus devices get updated instantly, straight from Google

I thought you could take root it and bootload stock android or cyanogenmod or something to remove touchwiz no?

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I thought you could take root it and bootload stock android or cyanogenmod or something to remove touchwiz no?

Yes, then the validity if your warranty comes into question. This also does not give instant updates, Cyanogen is usually a version behind Google and sometimes needs a flash to update

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

positron wrote: »

I just fancy a change to be honest. I dropped my note last week as well and got a small crack on the top left of the screen and a dent in the plastic on the right. I'm really ocd when it comes to my stuff so the damage is really bugging me at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Okay Google Everywhere
    Android Police have just put this out there, but you can now activate Okay Google Everywhere with a few very easy steps.

You must have the language set to English (US) and have the latest Google Search too.

I've confirmed it working on my Nexus 5 and 7, seems to work quite well on an Xperia Z2 and HTC One M8 and M7 Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Hmm, but anyone can activate it. We both have it as of this morning and anytime one of us says "OK Google", both the phones perk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yay, finally it can set a timer through Google Voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yay, finally it can set a timer through Google Voice!

Could we not always could do that?

I always say OK Google set an alarm for ten mins from now cooking the bread.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Fieldog wrote: »

I always say OK Google set an alarm for ten mins from now cooking the bread.... :D

It would set an alarm, not a timer. Kinda the same thing but not exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

Got the Google everywhere working. Nice. Would like double tap to wake phone next. Like the one plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Fieldog wrote: »

Yep here too, been telling my devices to set countdown times and alarms for a long time now, (well, countdown timers were only added last month) even some hardware controls and Geo located stuff.

How does Google everywhere differ from what the nexus already has? (Google Now)

god's toy wrote: »
    How does Google everywhere differ from what the nexus already has? (Google Now)

The Ok Google command now works from everywhere, even from the lock screen when phone is locked. You have to say it 3 times to train to your voice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

The Ok Google command now works from everywhere, even from the lock screen when phone is locked. You have to say it 3 times to train to your voice

At thanks for that! Was confused about it and the lack of coffee didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

god's toy wrote: »
    At thanks for that! Was confused about it and the lack of coffee didn't help.

33397380.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hey all,
    Is there anywhere in Dublin I can walk in off the street and but this phone do you know? Ideally the 32GB version!!

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Is there anywhere in Dublin I can walk in off the street and but this phone do you know? Ideally the 32GB version!!

Cheers,
    M

Only meteor and they only have the 16gb version.
    if you want the 32 it's online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭micks_address

madmoe wrote: »
    Hey all,

Cheers,
    M

i toying with selling my red 16gb version if you are interested? Apologies if not allowed to post on thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i toying with selling my red 16gb version if you are interested? Apologies if not allowed to post on thread..

price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭micks_address

Spipov wrote: »
    price?

Slight scuff on bottom right corner but otherwise phone is mint. Looking for around 300

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Slight scuff on bottom right corner but otherwise phone is mint. Looking for around 300

Thanks mate but you can get a brand new spotless one for not much more! I need a 32GB anyhow, sick of my 16GB phones always running out of space!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mono-Stereo

Hi Everyone! Looking for some advice. I'm wondering if the Nexus 5 is still worth buying today? What is the battery life and camera like now after updates? I'm not a heavy phone user. I have an ancient Samsung non-smartphone from 2010 that's finally dying. I like the look of the Nexus 5 - understated design and simple, smooth interface. This would be my first android phone. I would be using it for general web browsing, music and the odd game or two (I'm not a huge gamer). I also have my eye on the LG G2 since it has similar specs and price. So, between the two which would you recommend? Also, where would be the best place to order one of these phones? Thanks for your time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlor59

Hi Everyone! Looking for some advice. I'm wondering if the Nexus 5 is still worth buying today? What is the battery life and camera like now after updates? I'm not a heavy phone user. I have an ancient Samsung non-smartphone from 2010 that's finally dying. I like the look of the Nexus 5 - understated design and simple, smooth interface. This would be my first android phone. I would be using it for general web browsing, music and the odd game or two (I'm not a huge gamer). I also have my eye on the LG G2 since it has similar specs and price. So, between the two which would you recommend? Also, where would be the best place to order one of these phones? Thanks for your time! :)

Camera is good. Battery life is average for a smartphone. It's the nicest looking phone still on the market I think anyway. Price to hardware ratio it's still unbeatable. Super smooth and fast. I find the camera to be good not sure about anyone else.

I have mine since November and best phone I've been ever had. Another big point for me would be as a nexus user getting the latest Android software updates as they are released. No bloatware or poor user interface customisations from manufacturers. It's obviously not going to be the top phone out now as it nearly 8 months old but if you have an old smartphone it would be ideal.

You'll really appreciate the screen real estate. It took getting used to moving from a galaxy nexus(nexus fan) and I think the 4.95 inch screen is probably the limit for a nice size phone before you cross the line into ridiculousness.

If your looking for the top phone on the market go for the HTC m8 but I can assure you that you won't be disappointed with the nexus 5.

New I personally would try Amazon for new but you could pick up a second hand one on adverts. Another thing to consider would be if you store a lot of pics or videos then go for 32Gb version as there's no memory card slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Broke the screen on my nexus 5 earlier this week, trying to get it fixed now but just wondering is there anywhere I can get it insured after it's fixed so I don't have to worry about it again? I bought it online from eGlobal Central if that matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

TheSegal wrote: »
    Broke the screen on my nexus 5 earlier this week, trying to get it fixed now but just wondering is there anywhere I can get it insured after it's fixed so I don't have to worry about it again? I bought it online from eGlobal Central if that matters?
    See if you can add it on to your home insurance, should only be 50 a year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Expecting my Nexus 5 to arrive sometime this week and was wondering are people using the developer preview on a day to day basis? I don't mind the odd crash or reboot, but would be bothered by poorer battery life.

Advertisement