Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

1jcdub wrote: »
    What elk be the best way to get a nexus 5 from launch for people interested in Ireland?

Same as here but running the same gauntlet

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Same as here but running the santlet

Thanks for that. Looks like a bit of hassle. I have friends going to N.Y. early Nov. Do you think it will be available from then? If so where would it be available there, providing its not sold out of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

1jcdub wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Looks like a bit of hassle. I have friends going to N.Y. early Nov. Do you think it will be available from then? If so where would it be available there, providing its not sold out of course?

Play Store only for the subsidised price. Rumours are to be on sale then but more then likely sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Any news on the nexus 5?it has all gone quiet

god's toy wrote: »
    grrr.. darn it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Any news on the nexus 5?it has all gone quiet

How about a white Nexus 5?

(photoshop anyone?)

News is still the Nexus 5 announcement will supposedly happen on October 28 along with 4.4 KitKat .

gsmarena_001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's not that bad in white, just not my cup of tea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Sigh I'm still finding it hard to get excited by N5 or 4.4.

My GNex badly needs to be upgraded. I've found all of this year's major phone releases to be a bit Meh. Grrrr what's happening to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Uriel. wrote: »
    Sigh I'm still finding it hard to get excited by N5 or 4.4.

My GNex badly needs to be upgraded. I've found all of this year's major phone releases to be a bit Meh. Grrrr what's happening to me

It's not you, all phones are now just incremental upgrades.

"Ohhh, this phone has front facing speakers!!,
    ohh, this phone uses your print to unlock it!!,
    Wow, this phone has bullet proof glass.."

Fact is, you put 4.4 on your galaxy nexus, and it'll be as good a phone as the n5. Unless you lay them side by side and time them opening apps.

Gokei wrote: »
    It's not you, all phones are now just incremental upgrades.

"Ohhh, this phone has front facing speakers!!,
    ohh, this phone uses your print to unlock it!!,
    Wow, this phone has bullet proof glass.."

Fact is, you put 4.4 on your galaxy nexus, and it'll be as good a phone as the n5. Unless you lay them side by side and time them opening apps.

You may very well be right

My gnex has gone very laggy lately. Maybe kit kat will be less resource intensive

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You may very well be right

My gnex has gone very laggy lately. Maybe kit kat will be less resource intensive

Mine is quite laggy as well, but since I started using the stock browser rather than Chrome it has behaved itself a lot more. Chrome is fine on my N10, but on the GN it is unusable for me. The N5 will be a decent upgrade. Next one will be the brain implant version :pac:

There is a Google Play event in NYC on the 24th at 7pm, so 12am Sat morning for us.

My completely uneducated prediction for this event is they may announce new countries that devices are launching in, before a separate launch event for the N5. Here's hoping Ireland gets devices soon :)

5starpool wrote: »
    Mine is quite laggy as well, but since I started using the stock browser rather than Chrome it has behaved itself a lot more. Chrome is fine on my N10, but on the GN it is unusable for me. The N5 will be a decent upgrade. Next one will be the brain implant version :pac:

Hmmm might have a look at that. Is it chrome, chrome beta or both? And did you do a complete uninstall of Chrome, or is just when it's in use?

marcbrophy wrote: »
    There is a Google Play event in NYC on the 24th at 7pm, so 12am Sat morning for us.

My completely uneducated prediction for this event is they may announce new countries that devices are launching in, before a separate launch event for the N5. Here's hoping Ireland gets devices soon :)

That thought had occurred to me as well since this is billed as a google play event and they have denied there will be any hardware announced at it. I think they may well though just be unveiling new features of google play services which they are using now to roll out new features to core services rather than bundling them in a 4.4 type release. Play Store itself may well be revamped as well. I hope new markets for devices, movies, etc do feature (only if it includes us though!), but it would be a secondary announcement if so.
    Hmmm might have a look at that. Is it chrome, chrome beta or both? And did you do a complete uninstall of Chrome, or is just when it's in use?

It was just chrome, not the beta even though I've heard the beta is better. I think the phone memory just can't really hack it, and given the fact that the higher powered tablet has no issues at all with lag on it makes me think it is just too resource intensive. It works better briefly if I clear all the cache and data from the app, but that improvement doesn't last long. I did uninstall it as well, mostly just so that things from twitter, etc didn't launch there automatically. The stock browser on the GN is fairly decent anyhow I find, but a better processor and more RAM would be very welcome by me, not to mention the better and slightly bigger screen.

That thought had occurred to me as well since this is billed as a google play event and they have denied there will be any hardware announced at it. I think they may well though just be unveiling new features of google play services which they are using now to roll out new features to core services rather than bundling them in a 4.4 type release. Play Store itself may well be revamped as well. I hope new markets for devices, movies, etc do feature (only if it includes us though!), but it would be a secondary announcement if so.

Saying that though, Italy was randomly added to devices last month without any fanfare, so maybe I'm just dreaming :pac:

Most likely it will be an update to play services, showing that they can update the whole userbase at once without them having to be on the latest version of android.

Then, when 4.4 drops, it'll be a complete anti-climax! Here's your new version of android lads, now shut up and install it already! :D

Rumour has it that Google will announce the Nexus 5 and Gem smart watch tomorrow 23rd and then showcase them at the launch so technically they won't be unveiling new devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

brenbrady wrote: »
    Rumour has it that Google will announce the Nexus 5 and Gem smart watch tomorrow 23rd and then showcase them at the launch so technically they won't be unveiling new devices.

Can't see Google announcing a new watch at the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Asmith89

Good phone from Google..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Asmith89 wrote: »
    Good phone from Google..

What phone?

It was just chrome, not the beta even though I've heard the beta is better. I think the phone memory just can't really hack it, and given the fact that the higher powered tablet has no issues at all with lag on it makes me think it is just too resource intensive. It works better briefly if I clear all the cache and data from the app, but that improvement doesn't last long. I did uninstall it as well, mostly just so that things from twitter, etc didn't launch there automatically. The stock browser on the GN is fairly decent anyhow I find, but a better processor and more RAM would be very welcome by me, not to mention the better and slightly bigger screen.

I only use Chrome beta. but I might get rid of both and return to stock and see if it helps, thanks.

I'm worried by the supposed battery size of the new N5. Unless there are significant software efficiencies in kitkat, it's not a great leap forward. I had to buy an extended battery pack for my GNex, which is grand battery wise, but uglifies a pretty phone. :(

My sis bought the S4 at the weekend and I was fooling around with. Although I prefer pure Android generally, the phone is pretty nice (including some of the "bloat"ware). High price point though, especially if, like me you are coming at outside of a contract.

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    What phone?

That one, over there
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

That one, over there
    >

Haha. I thought his post about a great phone from Google was a bit..... you know.... Lacking information. It's like he d seen an announcement or something. Its gas when you go on xda and they have loads of forums for it and it's not even announced yet. My n4 is the best phone I ever had don't know if it would be worth the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

emo72 wrote: »
    Haha. I thought his post about a great phone from Google was a bit..... you know.... Lacking information. It's like he d seen an announcement or something. Its gas when you go on xda and they have loads of forums for it and it's not even announced yet. My n4 is the best phone I ever had don't know if it would be worth the upgrade.

Kinda how I feel about the N4 also, I think the N5 is a bit big for me!

Any word on the N6???

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Fieldog wrote: »
    I think the N5 is a bit big for me!

Its smaller than the N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Its smaller than the N4.

Exactly. 5" screen doesn't mean bigger phone.

I really hope that Google do a decent launch, the nexus 4 launch was a disgrace.
    Also I hope they anticipate the big demand for this phone and that it is not sold out after day 1.

Getting that right, 2 GB of RAM, 460 ppi, front facing speakers, snapdragon 800, 3000 mh battery, much improved camera on top of kit kat and I'm sold, can't see myself ever needing another phone to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I'm sold, can't see myself ever needing another phone to be honest.

Until the next one...:D

Exactly. 5" screen doesn't mean bigger phone.

I really hope that Google do a decent launch, the nexus 4 launch was a disgrace.
    Also I hope they anticipate the big demand for this phone and that it is not sold out after day 1.

Getting that right, 2 GB of RAM, 460 ppi, front facing speakers, snapdragon 800, 3000 mh battery, much improved camera on top of kit kat and I'm sold, can't see myself ever needing another phone to be honest.

The N4 launch event was cancelled due to the hurricane Sandy 'event'. The rollout and distribution was a disgrace though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

brenbrady wrote: »

Aside from the Nexus 5 stuff, have you got any source for this?

The rumour mill for a Google Smartwatch is basically dead at the moment, and they are watched constantly for any leaks and info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Its smaller than the N4.

Really?

Hmm....

Anyone looking for a Nexus 4?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Fieldog wrote: »
    Really?

Hmm....

Anyone looking for a Nexus 4?

:)

Yes, bigger screen but slightly smaller form factor going by the leaked specs.

Advertisement