Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Discodog wrote: »
    Since I started using this app I haven't had to touch my power button.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plexnor.gravityscreenofffree&hl=en

Cheers but it wont help in my situation, the power button is stuck on so it doesnt get past the google splash screen, kinda like this but without having to press the power button at all. It will keep going till the battery is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

projectgtr wrote: »
    Cheers but it wont help in my situation, the power button is stuck on so it doesnt get past the google splash screen, kinda like this but without having to press the power button at all. It will keep going till the battery is dead

HAve you tried getting into the bootmenu?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Did anyone else get Lollipop OTA update today?

Just after installing it, and a bit anticlimactic for me to be honest. I can't stand the light background everywhere. It was only yesterday I was admiring the black Nexus 5 and neat crisp white text on black background, almost making the phone look like a black slab. And now this crappy grey tone behind keyboard, app drawer, status bar etc. Cant imagine it would be top comfortable to look at late night in bed either.

Is there anyway to change the background colour in general I wonder..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

HAve you tried getting into the bootmenu?

Got it sorted, the button was just stuck. A little gentle persuasion and its back to 100%, i wipe it and flashed the factory 5.0 image after i sorted it.

I was gonna update mine to a flash of Lollipop but decided against it and will wait on the ota. However in prep for flashing the phone I decided to clear it out and do a factory reset and lo and behold after doing so I managed to cure whatever it was that was causing it to restart and bootloop and it updated to 4.4.4 from 4.4.2 that was on it. Not a bother so far since Thursday. Everything working like a dream. Now to wait on Lollipop...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

positron wrote: »
    Did anyone else get Lollipop OTA update today?

Just after installing it, and a bit anticlimactic for me to be honest. I can't stand the light background everywhere. It was only yesterday I was admiring the black Nexus 5 and neat crisp white text on black background, almost making the phone look like a black slab. And now this crappy grey tone behind keyboard, app drawer, status bar etc. Cant imagine it would be top comfortable to look at late night in bed either.

Is there anyway to change the background colour in general I wonder..!!

Got it yesterday as well and same as you, I'm disliking the white background as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

gaius c wrote: »
    Got it yesterday as well and same as you, I'm disliking the white background as well.
    I agree, it's the keyboard I especially dislike. Also why change the 3 buttons at the bottom of the screen? They were perfectly OK as they were, IMO.

EDIT: You can change the keyboard theme to Material Dark, that's better. Still don't like the lack of dividers between the buttons. Also, what's the idea of the tiny numbers along the top qwerty row?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Alun wrote: »
    Also, what's the idea of the tiny numbers along the top qwerty row?
    Hold down on the numbers and it'll type it for you instread of you having to flick over to numbers.

I agree, it's the keyboard I especially dislike. Also why change the 3 buttons at the bottom of the screen? They were perfectly OK as they were, IMO.

EDIT: You can change the keyboard theme to Material Dark, that's better. Still don't like the lack of dividers between the buttons. Also, what's the idea of the tiny numbers along the top qwerty row?

Where do you find that setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

gaius c wrote: »
    Where do you find that setting?

Settings -> Language & Input -> Google Keyboard -> Apperanve & Layouts

Or install something like Swiftkey to get a wider variety of themes to choose from

The only gripe I have with the new keyboard is the layout of the numbers, much prefer number pad.

• Advertisement

Much better. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

if you select Holo White or Holo Blue it's the keyboard with dividers like it used to be :)

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    if you select Holo White or Holo Blue it's the keyboard with dividers like it used to be :)
    Ah, I didn't try those, I'll give them a go.

EDIT: So, Holo Blue it is, although why it's called "Blue" is a mystery ... it's grey!
    EDIT AGAIN: So the only difference between Holo Blue and Holo White is the colour of the Finished button? Hmmmm.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Hold down on the numbers and it'll type it for you instread of you having to flick over to numbers.
    Now why didn't I think of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Just got the notification for the OTA update. In the middle of installing it now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I can only get ok Google to work by touching the mic symbol. If I try to set it to work from any screen it goes into voice training tells me to say ok Google three times but it doesn't register my voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Initial reaction of lollipop is that it's a bit sluggish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Discodog wrote: »
    I can only get ok Google to work by touching the mic symbol. If I try to set it to work from any screen it goes into voice training tells me to say ok Google three times but it doesn't register my voice.

Have you changed the voice in settings to English (US)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Any battery change with update?

youngblood wrote: »
    Any battery change with update?
    Battery life on mine seems better, largely because the setting to keep WiFi off during sleep actually now seems to work as it should. Another handy thing is that it gives an estimate of remaining battery life, and also give an estimate of time to complete when charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Still waiting on Android L OTA - Anyone else not have it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Kurn wrote: »
    Still waiting on Android L OTA - Anyone else not have it yet?

Me!

Everyone I know with a Nexus 5 has it but me. Damn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

me too waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Me!

Everyone I know with a Nexus 5 has it but me. Damn :(

Have you tried manually clicking the button to check for an update in the about screen? It could be a coincidence but on both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2012) I got the update only after clicking the button despite it apparently not finding the update when it automatically checked (the last check time was only a few minutes prior).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

My wife's N7 got it this morning,but my N5 is still waiting.

I check consistently everyday and still nothing for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭peejay1986

JohnK wrote: »
    Have you tried manually clicking the button to check for an update in the about screen? It could be a coincidence but on both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2012) I got the update only after clicking the button despite it apparently not finding the update when it automatically checked (the last check time was only a few minutes prior).

Yep, constantly clicking it. I'm incredibly impatient :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I got OTA on my nexus 5 last night. Ended up do a rest on it because the rotation toggle wasn't showing up and Google fit want working. Everything's grand now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Just got it downloading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Any update from Google if theyre stopping production? Looking for a 32GB black

Advertisement