Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'm having terrible battery drain every now and again for seemingly no reason since updating, this morning I'm already down to 64% after 4 hours with the screen only on for 10 minutes. Nothing on the battery usage list that seems out of place so I'm not sure what's causing it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Harps wrote: »
    I'm having terrible battery drain every now and again for seemingly no reason since updating, this morning I'm already down to 64% after 4 hours with the screen only on for 10 minutes. Nothing on the battery usage list that seems out of place so I'm not sure what's causing it

Reboot your phone & see if it cures the problem. There was a bug that leaves the camera on in the background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah my battery is getting murdered as well. Used to get the whole day out of it no problem, now its at 5% by 7 in the evening. Not impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

guys! (about €250) without invite for the 64GB black in today's Black Friday deal.

But they don't deliver to Ireland. What can I do?!?

Parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shimmy Jimmy CocoPop

So there is no Silent option on Android 5 you can only lower to vibrate. I found out to my detriment in an important meeting when my pocket started vibrating and distracting me. Bit of a joke really, why leave this option out. Never understood why they left out auto rotation in KitKat either. Im also getting random "!" on the wifi and phone signal even at full bar and working perfect. Theres deffo a few bugs to be sorted for 5.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Yeah my battery is getting murdered as well. Used to get the whole day out of it no problem, now its at 5% by 7 in the evening. Not impressed.

Twice since update I have had something randomly eating the battery - once it was hola app and other time nothing was showing. Apart from that (solved by restart) it seems better than KitKat to me but haven't measured it properly yet tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

So there is no Silent option on Android 5 you can only lower to vibrate. I found out to my detriment in an important meeting when my pocket started vibrating and distracting me. Bit of a joke really, why leave this option out. Never understood why they left out auto rotation in KitKat either. Im also getting random "!" on the wifi and phone signal even at full bar and working perfect. Theres deffo a few bugs to be sorted for 5.1

There is a silent option. When you press on the volume rocker button to bring up the volume. Click the NONE option and select indefinitely. This is silent mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    There is a silent option. When you press on the volume rocker button to bring up the volume. Click the NONE option and select indefinitely. This is silent mode.

Yeah but it's stupid because alarms won't play then, so it's pretty useless for night time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Doesn't NONE turn off notifications entirely?

Yeah but it's stupid because alarms won't play then, so it's pretty useless for night time!

You can then set to middle option priority mode. Then set in Settings> Sound & Notification>Interruptions. Disable Events & Reminders, Calls & Messages. Alarms will still work with this setting but nothing else will.

Sure, it's a long way around it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

You can then set to middle option priority mode. Then set in Settings> Sound & Notification>Interruptions. Disable Events & Reminders, Calls & Messages. Alarms will still work with this setting but nothing else will.

Sure, it's a long way around it.

Oh perfect, I knew there had to be a way :pac: Thanks.

Cheers for that but it was so much easier just turning the volume all the way down! Little tweaks like this are annoying but I like the new release overall.

Harps wrote: »

I also had the issue on KitKat, there's a lot of android forums about the issue but I thought it would be fixed. Its connected with Skype, Snapchat or other apps using the camera. The camera stays on in the background and drains the battery. The only way I got it to stop was to delete Skype, not ideal but does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone finding their phone much slower on lollipop compared to kitkat? That's was one of the major reasons I went for the nexus 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone finding their phone much slower on lollipop compared to kitkat? That's was one of the major reasons I went for the nexus 5.

I found it slow at first but after the first night and a reboot it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

matrim wrote:
    I found it slow at first but after the first night and a reboot it was fine.

Mine is definitely still much slower. I'll have to look into how to clear the cache or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭pah

upgrading to a major software revision is often very buggy. Clean install of a factory image is the best way to go really. Did it for nexus 5 and nexus 7 2012. Working perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Cheers for that but it was so much easier just turning the volume all the way down! Little tweaks like this are annoying but I like the new release overall.

I totally agree with you on that one! I loved being able to hold the power button down and then just hit the silence toggle! Quick and easy!!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

madmoe wrote: »
    I totally agree with you on that one! I loved being able to hold the power button down and then just hit the silence toggle! Quick and easy!!

Cheers,
    M

While it's not exactly the same, just press one of the volume buttons and hit the icon. Only puts it to Vibrate though, not silent.

Blacktie. wrote: »

No I can't see any difference in mine & some apps like gmail are definitely quicker.

• Advertisement

I also had the issue on KitKat, there's a lot of android forums about the issue but I thought it would be fixed. Its connected with Skype, Snapchat or other apps using the camera. The camera stays on in the background and drains the battery. The only way I got it to stop was to delete Skype, not ideal but does work.

I had it once but a reboot cured it. This is the best answer. It shows how many milliamps the phone is drawing & you can set an alarm if the drain is above a preset level.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manor.currentwidget&hl=en-GB

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

I just bought a nexus 5 and i'm wondering should i update it straight away to lollipop or should I stick with KitKat for a while?
    What do you recommend?

I just bought a nexus 5 and i'm wondering should i update it straight away to lollipop or should I stick with KitKat for a while?
    What do you recommend?

Take a look at lollipop on youtube videos and see how you like it compared to KitKat

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

What do you recommend?

Update it - in my opinion lollipop is far superior to kit kat.

writhen wrote: »

That's why I suggest checking out videos. It's down to peoples personal preferences and opinions. I'm still indifferent myself.

Take a look at lollipop on youtube videos and see how you like it compared to KitKat

Thats actually quite a difference, cant understand how and why they would let lolipop be slower. Surely further updates will speed it up though.

writhen wrote: »

Totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Where can I buy a nexus 5 at the moment? But not done deal or adverts, hearing way too many hassle stories.

bren2002 wrote: »
    Where can I buy a nexus 5 at the moment? But not done deal or adverts, hearing way too many hassle stories.

I got mine new on ebay .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Any rumours as to whether Google will do a 2015 edition of the Nexus 5 or not?

Advertisement