Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

any idea when lollipop will be rolled out? dont want to flash the factory image

Lollipop was rolled out a while back? and update to that, 5.0.1 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

any idea when lollipop will be rolled out? dont want to flash the factory image

You may have a custom recovery if the update hasn't arrived for you yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What android version are people on? I got my replacement model about two weeks ago and no sign of an update. I'm currently on 4.4.4

Blacktie. wrote:
    What android version are people on? I got my replacement model about two weeks ago and no sign of an update. I'm currently on 4.4.4

5.0.1 came over the air but manually flashed it as I'm rooted.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    5.0.1 came over the air but manually flashed it as I'm rooted.

Looks like I'll probably have to do this as there's no sign of an update coming for me. Any easy guides around?

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Looks like I'll probably have to do this as there's no sign of an update coming for me. Any easy guides around?

There's a toolkit for it, very simple. Does all the work for you!

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

So it finally happened. Cracked the screen on my nexus 5, anyone know places that will fix it and for roughly what price? South East preferably.

There's a toolkit for it, very simple. Does all the work for you!

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Grand I'll give it a shot. Will this delete everything?

Sucks about the screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Can I use NRT to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.0.1 without wiping?

I can't upgrade to 5.0.1 OTA, as I keep getting various error messages :(

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Grand I'll give it a shot. Will this delete everything?

Sucks about the screen!

Yes, it will delete everything so make sure to backup anything you need first!

I know but **** happens so **** it. It's only an inanimate object. :)

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Can I use NRT to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.0.1 without wiping?

I can't upgrade to 5.0.1 OTA, as I keep getting various error messages :(

Do you have a custom recovery on your phone? This is what happened to me.

No, as far as I know there is no way of doing it without wiping.

I could be wrong tho but I couldn't see any way of doing it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Do you have a custom recovery on your phone? This is what happened to me.

No, as far as I know there is no way of doing it without wiping.

I could be wrong tho but I couldn't see any way of doing it anyway.

Yeah, have TWRP on it. Is TWRP the problem? :pac:

I've used NRT for many years, but usually just use it to root or return to stock, never to upgrade :)
    It could be in there somewhere though!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Yeah, have TWRP on it. Is TWRP the problem? :pac:

I've used NRT for many years, but usually just use it to root or return to stock, never to upgrade :)
    It could be in there somewhere though!

Yeah it's the custom recovery that won't allow the OTA update to work unfortunately. I had that little OTA notice in my notification bar for at least a month before I could be arsed going and upgrading with NRT lol.

Mainly because it was only shortly after I had already done a clean wipe and such for 5.0.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

you can upgrade without wiping by taking out the -w flag from the upgrade script.
    I'd advise a clean wipe and just dump all your stuff back on from a backup if I were you tho.

OK so never done this before so what do I need to do to perform a back up and then restore it...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sburn

sburn wrote: »
    Having an issue with charging also. Cracked the screen on mine a while back and replaced it with a screen off ebay. All was fine with it until today when it went dead and it wouldn't charge. The area around the LED light is red hot to touch a few seconds after it is plugged in and when i try to power on when plugged in I can see the white light behind the screen but nothing appears on the screen itself

I've tried taking it apart to have a look but nothing obviously looked loose or damaged around the USB section. Would it be worth replacing the USB connector of just give up on it.

Just to follow up on this I bought a new charging port flex cable and still no joy, it appears to be charging ie the led light is flashing but no combination of rebooting it is working. At one point the screen flashed on with half of it black and half white but nothing since.

Could it be the screen that is dodgy or something worse. Would cost €30 for another new screen so not sure if I'm better off cutting my losses and get a new phone altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Battery isn't great and I use a spare micro usb charger at work to give it a boost during the day but it's terrible. Phone is actually using up charge faster than the phone can charge. Only way to boost the battery is turn off the phone or turn on airplane mode.

Is this a problem with the charger or phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Have an iPhone 6 plus that I love but I've always fancied myself with one of these. If I ever have the need for a second phone I'd hope to pick one of these up somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

gaius c wrote: »
    Battery isn't great and I use a spare micro usb charger at work to give it a boost during the day but it's terrible. Phone is actually using up charge faster than the phone can charge. Only way to boost the battery is turn off the phone or turn on airplane mode.

Is this a problem with the charger or phone?

The charger. Get one of these

BlackBerry Portable PlayBook International Travel Charger with UK/EU/NA/AUS Adapter - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004XKG7NM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_FsQSub0SVEVB3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Sound. Ordered 4 (missus has Nexus too). Also checked the battery and it seems that the Journal and RTE apps are eating my battery.

• Advertisement

gaius c wrote: »
    Sound. Ordered 4 (missus has Nexus too). Also checked the battery and it seems that the Journal and RTE apps are eating my battery.

I would really recommend this charger. It charges my Nexus 5 in around half the time of the stock charger. It also makes a huge difference with wireless charging. And it's really cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

How long is the cable with that charger?

How long is the cable with that charger?

6ft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Discodog wrote: »

BlackBerry Portable PlayBook International Travel Charger with UK/EU/NA/AUS Adapter - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004XKG7NM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_FsQSub0SVEVB3

Apologies in advance for silly question but will that connection also fit N5, N7, Galaxy etc?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,851 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Zipppy wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for silly question but will that connection also fit N5, N7, Galaxy etc?

Yes, seems to be a standard micro usb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Discodog wrote: »

Is this the same item?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Blackberry-Micro-USB-Charger-Adapter-For-Playbook-4G-LTE-WiMax-2012-UK-/121304016466?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item1c3e486652#shpCntId

I only ask cos postage is half the amazon rate ....

Zipppy wrote: »

Looks like it but the Amazon postage is free to UK so €4 with Parcel Motel

Just checked & it gives the output as 500 ma which is nothing. The Amazon one outputs 2000.

I would check with the seller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

You can get up to 2.1A (2100mA) micro usb chargers, this is what you should look for when buying one.

• Advertisement

You can get up to 2.1A (2100mA) micro usb chargers, this is what you should look for when buying one.

The Amazon one is 2A, very cheap & from a reputable manufacturer.

Advertisement