Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Discodog wrote: »
    The Amazon one is 2A, very cheap & from a reputable manufacturer.

Yes decent value, I'm just saying you can get stronger, the Amp figure is what you look for when buying any charger

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Wireless Charge pad specifies up to 2A so I wouldn't go higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The Wireless Charge pad specifies up to 2A so I wouldn't go higher.

That does not matter, you can use a 2.1A charger on any micro usb device even any old phone with a 500 or 900mA charger.

It's worth mentioning that the same applies to car charging. You need a 2 amp output.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The charger. Get one of these

BlackBerry Portable PlayBook International Travel Charger with UK/EU/NA/AUS Adapter - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004XKG7NM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_FsQSub0SVEVB3

Great call. It's ridiculously fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭mcw92

I seen somebody here contacted google for a replacement on their Nexus and got a free replacement sent. Can someone help me out here? Who did they contact exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

mcw92 wrote: »
    I seen somebody here contacted google for a replacement on their Nexus and got a free replacement sent. Can someone help me out here? Who did they contact exactly?

I have. Firstly I rang them there is a contact number on their website but I think the one I rang was 1800 710 297 after this they sent me an email so that we could sort out delivery. How it worked was they sent me a link to order the phone and I ordered it. Once it came I organised for the damaged one to be collected using a link they also emailed me. They also sent me a free Chromecast as well.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I have. Firstly I rang them there is a contact number on their website but I think the one I rang was 1800 710 297 after this they sent me an email so that we could sort out delivery. How it worked was they sent me a link to order the phone and I ordered it. Once it came I organised for the damaged one to be collected using a link they also emailed me. They also sent me a free Chromecast as well.

What proof of purchase did they ask for?

And what was the problem with yours?
    Did they send out the replacement and then you send back yours, or did you have to send them yours first for them to test out the fault?

What proof of purchase did they ask for?

Just a copy of the receipt. I hadn't purchased the phone myself as it had been bought by a family friend in America before they came out here but this was no problem it just took slightly longer to have the replacement sent out.

• Advertisement

And what was the problem with yours?
    Did they send out the replacement and then you send back yours, or did you have to send them yours first for them to test out the fault?

Lightbleed around the top right corner that was getting progressively worse. The vibration function was also very weak but this seems to be the same with the replacement. They sent me the replacement first then I organised for a courier of there's to collect the damaged phone from me.

Also btw the replacement I received was a refurb device which didn't really bother me as it was in perfect condition and the issue I had with the first phone wasn't really that bad.

Lightbleed around the top right corner that was getting progressively worse. The vibration function was also very weak but this seems to be the same with the replacement. They sent me the replacement first then I organised for a courier of there's to collect the damaged phone from me.

Also btw the replacement I received was a refurb device which didn't really bother me as it was in perfect condition and the issue I had with the first phone wasn't really that bad.

Just wondering what would happen like if they sent a replacement and then I sent back mine and they decided it wasn't a proper fault. Its to do with the screen, it can seriously malfunction now and again, such as excessive vibration or act like i'm swiping/tapping when i'm not at all. Id have no proper proof of mine happening if it didn't happen for them so not sure. Also have a problem with the camera deciding to not open now and again in any app saying 'cant connect to camera' and it needs a reboot to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Just wondering what would happen like if they sent a replacement and then I sent back mine and they decided it wasn't a proper fault. Its to do with the screen, it can seriously malfunction now and again, such as excessive vibration or act like i'm swiping/tapping when i'm not at all. Id have no proper proof of mine happening if it didn't happen for them so not sure. Also have a problem with the camera deciding to not open now and again in any app saying 'cant connect to camera' and it needs a reboot to work.

Honestly I doubt they even check much of the faults. I'd imagine they give it a glance over for physical damage and if they see none you're good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Also have a problem with the camera deciding to not open now and again in any app saying 'cant connect to camera' and it needs a reboot to work.

I think this is a common problem with Lollipop so an update should hopefully fix that. I think switching camera (i.e. from front to back) can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I think this is a common problem with Lollipop so an update should hopefully fix that. I think switching camera (i.e. from front to back) can help.

Used to have this problem on Kitkat. Haven't seen it since Lollipop.

Ste- wrote: »
    Used to have this problem on Kitkat. Haven't seen it since Lollipop.

This is the error I get, as you can see no option to switch cameras. Happens on all camera apps, such as Snapchat, Instagram atc.
    A reboot is the only thing that will fix it.

2nkmlvn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

i put a custom rom on my nexus 5 the other day. took xtrasmooth from xda.

with the stock android, i used to be at around 10-20% at the end of a working day. not with xtrasmooth, i'm left with 30-50%. which is really nice.

i'm actually waiting for a proper non-beta-release of xenonhd, because i used that with my nexus s, and all the extra features are appreciated.

murfilein wrote: »
    i put a custom rom on my nexus 5 the other day. took xtrasmooth from xda.

with the stock android, i used to be at around 10-20% at the end of a working day. not with xtrasmooth, i'm left with 30-50%. which is really nice.

i'm actually waiting for a proper non-beta-release of xenonhd, because i used that with my nexus s, and all the extra features are appreciated.

I like the sound of the battery improvement, its the major let down for me atm.
    Is it this rom?

How did you go about installing it? Ive never flashed a rom on the Nexus 5 before :rolleyes:

I like the sound of the battery improvement, its the major let down for me atm.
    Is it this URL rom[/URL]?

How did you go about installing it? Ive never flashed a rom on the Nexus 5 before :rolleyes:

yes its that one :)

basically you just need to enable usb debugging in the developers menu. enable developers menu by going in settings -> about phone and tap 5 or 6 times on build number which is at the bottom. you will get a message telling you that you're a developer now

the developer options will then be just above the about phone button.

then you install the google usb drivers and the ADB tool, from which you can enter a console command to enable root and install a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP. xtrasmooth supposedly needs TWRP, but you can change between them easily anyway)

do it with this tutorial, where its explained:
    androidpit dot com slash how-to-root-nexus-5-on-android-lollipop
    sorry for that, i'm a new user and cant post links

at step 12 he's flashing CWM as a custom recovery, just use TWRP here. its easy to switch back and forth, there are apps in the play store that can install either one of them quickly.

basically if you have done that, download the custom rom file and put it in the root folder of your phone.

then you boot into your recovery, clear cache and data (backup as much as you can before that) and dalvik cache (not sure why thats needed when the nexus 5 runs with ART). then choose flash from zip, navigate to the root foder and choose the roms install file. it will take some time, but eventually be done. reboot and voila, you're into your fresh new system.

it sounds more complicated than it actually is and it can be a bit confusing too. maybe you want to look at video tutorials on youtube, that will be easier to follow.

and for some reason, i cant even edit my posts.

anyway, even then you actually root your phone via the console command in the ADB tool, all your personal data will be deleted here already, so backup everything before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone try the SlimLP rom from SlimRoms yet?
    They currently have an alpha for 5.0.2 that I might flash later on.

I used to use the SlimKat rom based off 4.4.4 before flashing to stock Lollipop and I kinda miss it at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

any one else receive the over the air lollipop update in the past 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

any one else receive the over the air lollipop update in the past 24 hours?

Yep happy out.

Anything of interest in it?

gaius c wrote: »
    Anything of interest in it?

Well, it's basically the windows 8 of android versions. Everything looks sleeker, runs better and faster and there are some new neat features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Well, it's basically the windows 8 of android versions. Everything looks sleeker, runs better and faster and there are some new neat features.

Such as??? Intrigued

youngblood wrote: »
    Such as??? Intrigued

The task switcher and material design are new feature by themselves, they look really cool.

You also have a lot of shortcuts in the drop down menu by default, like a flashlight, switching screen rotation or creating a hotspot. You can also change the screen brightness to the dropdown menu.

Every single team in chrome can now be displayed like it's own app in the task switcher.

Priority sound mode and setting times where the phone is silent is also nice.

Sorry. I meant 5.02, not Android 5 itself.

gaius c wrote: »
    Sorry. I meant 5.02, not Android 5 itself.

Oh ok, haha

I think 5.02 is only for nexus 9 or tablets in general and not for smartphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Oh ok, haha

I think 5.02 is only for nexus 9 or tablets in general and not for smartphones.

5.0.2 is only available for Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 7 2013 and the Nexus 10 at the moment.

Advertisement