Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Hey, Friend is having issues with her nexus 5

The phone is 1 year old and very well minded. Never Messed with aka standard Lollipop

lately her battery has gone very bad, It might fully charge in 25mins...But die very quick.

Once it gets under 30% its liable to go dead after any amount of minutes, even from 80% it could last nothing more then an hour.

is the phone goosed or battery or what could have gone wrong? bit head wrecking as its just gone 12 months old

any help appreciated

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

D_turbo wrote: »

The phone is 1 year old and very well minded. Never Messed with aka standard Lollipop

lately her battery has gone very bad, It might fully charge in 25mins...But die very quick.

Once it gets under 30% its liable to go dead after any amount of minutes, even from 80% it could last nothing more then an hour.

is the phone goosed or battery or what could have gone wrong? bit head wrecking as its just gone 12 months old

any help appreciated

Mine is the same lately and it's only about 7 months old. I feel like I have it on constant charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

did you guys see that xposed it out for lollipop?! woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

D_turbo wrote: »

any help appreciated

I would install a battery monitor app. I use Battery HD. You
    need to check that there isn't anything draining the battery. It will also give you a record of discharge rates.

I have seen threads on xda which suggest that the battery isn't too difficult to replace.

http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-manually-replace-nexus-5-battery

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Been having lots of battery issues myself too lately (one minutes browsing eating 1% battery on average). The monitoring app I have is identifying chrome and the keyboard!! as the main culprits. Have tried reinstalling/downgrading both but to no success. Any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I was having a bunch of issues with battery, uninstalled 4/5 apps, seems to be back to normal, the only one that's likely most people have is facebook messanger.

Also for the last ages my phone was running very hot, that isn't happening anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Hey guys. My Nexus 5 suddenly stopped connecting to the mobile network after it ran out of charge completely (had a boot loop that took a while to resolve). Weirdly everything else works fine (WiFi, GPS, NFC etc). I already tried re-flashing stock, clearing cache etc. but nothing worked so I guess the trouble is some hardware error.

Unfortunately its a month or two out of warranty and I purchased it from amazon because it wasn't available on the Irish play store at the time (and couldn't get the UK proxy method working). Does anyone know what the story is with amazon and out of warranty repairs/replacements and if there is an LG service center in Ireland as sending the phone over to the UK and back is probably going to cost a fortune and there's no guarantee that they'll even be able to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

MickeyD wrote: »
    Hey guys. My Nexus 5 suddenly stopped connecting to the mobile network after it ran out of charge completely (had a boot loop that took a while to resolve). Weirdly everything else works fine (WiFi, GPS, NFC etc). I already tried re-flashing stock, clearing cache etc. but nothing worked so I guess the trouble is some hardware error.

Unfortunately its a month or two out of warranty and I purchased it from amazon because it wasn't available on the Irish play store at the time (and couldn't get the UK proxy method working). Does anyone know what the story is with amazon and out of warranty repairs/replacements and if there is an LG service center in Ireland as sending the phone over to the UK and back is probably going to cost a fortune and there's no guarantee that they'll even be able to fix it.

Sounds like HW alright, few things worth looking into before RMA :

Did you go over your APN settings just to be sure?

The provider may have changed them?

I think O2/3 recently changed theirs (and didn't inform customers AFAIK)

Are you able to make calls in and out on the handset with no issue?

If you can would make me think that it is not HW, as I think that and data would share the same antenna....

Can't see either working if it is a HW issue....

When you said you reflashed it, was it with the latest lollipop image or an older Kitkat one? - could you have downgraded the radio in doing so therefore making the old one not work....

As that definitely could cause what your having, incompatible radios could cause sometimes only small issues like, no sound, no ear volume, no signal etc

Sometimes it may cause no issue either! :/

Nah I don't think it's a network issue - its not just data, its standard GSM reception (i.e. calls & texts) that's gone. From checking logcat the radio firmware doesn't even get to checking if a sim card is in the device, it gives an error about not being able to power it on. There's a testing menu you can access from *#*#4636#*#* and when I attempt to turn the radio on there it doesn't do anything. Happens regardless if I have a SIM card in there or not.

I flashed both 4.4.4 and 5.0.1 and did factory resets with both but had the same issue. I flashed different versions of the radio as well. I've been pretty careful with the phone and there's no signs of damage although it's possible sweat from my hands or rainwater or the odd knock or shock while its in my pocket may have damaged circuits over time. It's pretty weird that it would have just affected the GSM modem and nothing else however. I think maybe when the power discharged it had some freak thing happen where something shorted or some read-only part of the firmware got corrupted.

My fear is that with the repair fee and shipping I'd be better off just buying a new phone so I'd like to be able to drop it in somewhere to maybe get an opinion first. Or would amazon be sound enough to offer me a replacement even if its out of warranty if it looks like a problem with the phone rather than something I did with it?

edit:
    Is it possible to send a phone back to google even if you didn't buy it from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

MickeyD wrote: »

edit:
    Is it possible to send a phone back to google even if you didn't buy it from them?

Short answer - no, :( it has to be from play store.

Could try LG support?

• Advertisement

Yeah I guess I'll give them a shout - they don't seem to have any support stuff in ireland though, just the UK.

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Short answer - no, :( it has to be from play store.

Could try LG support?

I would do a little research. European consumer law may offer some protection. You could ask on the consumer forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

If your having a problem with the phone contact whoever you bought it off firstly as your contact is with them. Make sure you quote stuff such as the sale of goods supply of services act and tell them under consumer law they have to replace it. Chances are most places will take it back depending how long you've had it for and the problem.

As for contacting Google you could try but they probably won't do anything for you as your contract is with who ever you bought it off.

Forget about contacting LG you no leg to stand on with them and the only people they have a contract with is Google who they are manufacturing the phones for. LG have also pulled out of the Irish phone market as far as I know so there is little to no chance they will even deal with you.

I would agree with the post above but European law may differ. For example I recall when BMW tried to say that warranty only applied to cars that were bought from & serviced by an authorised dealer. The EU ruled that this was against consumer law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If all else fails. SBE are who look after the repairs for Google/LG:

http://sbeglobalservice.com/ireland/contact/

Cheers, I'll send them an email and see what they say. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Anyone else found the battery life to be particularly terrible lately. I'm not even getting a day out of it, often needing to charge two or three times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Sonics2k wrote:
    Anyone else found the battery life to be particularly terrible lately. I'm not even getting a day out of it, often needing to charge two or three times a day.

Yep. Been planning on getting a battery tracker app or whatever it is. Luckily I have a portable charger

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yep. Same as that.

The phone has also developed a rather annoying tick where the pressing of the power button to turn off the screen turns it off and then back on again very quickly.

That developed as well just before the Lollipop update and was resolved with a reset. I got Lollipop a few days later and then there were no issues.

I'm thinking of doing a factory reset again.

Can anyone recommend an app to track apps using the battery and keeping the phone awake etc. Not currently rooted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've also experienced a big drop in battery life over the last week compared to how long a full charge normally lasts. And my phone usage has been the same as it usually is. What I've noticed is that the battery now reduces a good bit during the day while I'm at work, even though I would hardly use it between 9-5 :confused: I'm running stock 5.0.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an app to track apps using the battery and keeping the phone awake etc. Not currently rooted.

There are tons of them. I use DU battery doctor but its not telling me anything I didn't know anyway. It's definitely a nexus problem with android 5.0 that is causing it, everything I've read so far says not to expect it to be fixed until 5.1 is launched so it's either a case of live with it until then or revert to a previous android version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yeah it has to be something to do with the latest update, dreadful battery life now

Ah ok fair enough thanks everyone.

I use Battery HD. My battery is fine since the update except when I had the camera staying on glitch. I also use Current Widget & have set it to alert me if the battery drain is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

mine wouldn't recognize network a while back, think it might have fallen at some stage but I hadn't noticed, everything else worked. thought it was Sim, but checked in other phone and was grand, I purchased through proxy through UK store and even though it was out of date,I rang Google, explained the situation, they sent out replacement phone next day and all packaging covered, I thought their service was nothing short of amazing, maybe try em and see?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

"cannot connect to camera" is my Nexus 5's latest trick. Seeing it at least once a day. Only since Lollipop went on.
    Battery life went off a cliff as well. I'll give it 5.1 , but if they don't fix the issues I'll be flogging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

horgan_p wrote: »
    "cannot connect to camera" is my Nexus 5's latest trick. Seeing it at least once a day. Only since Lollipop went on.
    Battery life went off a cliff as well. I'll give it 5.1 , but if they don't fix the issues I'll be flogging it.

Yeah the cannot connect to camera was happening me quite a bit. Restarting the phone seemed to be the only thing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Yeah the cannot connect to camera was happening me quite a bit. Restarting the phone seemed to be the only thing to help.

Same here. Get it a good bit and only way past it is to restart the phone; its a bloody annoyance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Anyone else getting constant errors with Play Music lately too?

It was refusing to play anything that wasn't cached previously and would just say "Google Play is not responding" and crash. I've uninstalled the app and all that and getting the exact same problem.

Very annoying as thats where I store all of my music.

Advertisement