Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anybody get 70mbit from eircom? No!

• 20-08-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I wondering, did anybody who order eFibre Ultimate (70mbit/s) actually get it?

While eircom engineer installing eFibre in my apartament, he shows me details of my phone line on his device.
    There was shown my phoneline is +/- 140m long, internet speed is set up to 50mbit/s and signal is strong enough to run 110 mbit/s, so he ask me to call customer service because it looks like 50mbit/s is set up on eircom side and need to be changed to 70mbit/s.

Eircom efibre team agent told me over phone that my line is good to run only 50mbit... WTF?
    My neighbors in apartament next to mine got 67-69mbit with Vodafone, they have exactly same phone line details except one - internet speed was set up to 70mbit/s.
    I asked this all my friends who order 70mbit/s from eircom, nobody get more than 50mbit incluging guy who lives 7m from cabinet with 30m long phoneline.
    Is eircom lying, trying to save bandwidth for upcoming tv services?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

50 would be the highest fixed profile. Between 50-70 are rate adaptive profiles, meaning there'll be a certain amount of variance on the speed.
    Perhaps contact Eircom and see if they can put you on a rate adaptive 70mb profile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

AFAIK with eircom - efibre advanced and efibre unlimited are both up to 50Mbps - only ultimate is 70Mbps

https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I ordered 70mb in Ennis from Eircom but I was told that they were only selling 50mb for now. I am only about 50 metres from my cabinet so distance wasn't an issue. I don't mind really because at the end of the day there isn't much difference between going from 7mb to 50mb and 7mb to 70mb. I don't think the extra tenner a month would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sean54

Eircom broadband support told me I was a 50mb profile even though I ordered 70mb, I am about 50m from the VDSL cabinet.

Broadband support said they would upgrade my profile but have`nt done it yet.
    My neighbor has Vodafone broadband and is getting 70mb

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 2 days: 13 hours: 13 minutes
    ============================================================================
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 15.417 Mbps 50.268 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 15.359 Mbps 50.170 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 14.7 dB 20.6 dB
    Actual Delay: 7 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: -22.7 dBm 12.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -27.0 dBm 6.4 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 4.1 dB 6.1 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 29.637 Mbps 110.656 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 1.3 4.9 5.8 N/A 3.6 7.5 11.1
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 1.3 4.5 4.9 N/A 3.7 7.5 11.1
    SNR Margin(dB): 14.8 14.8 14.6 N/A 20.6 20.6 20.6
    Transmit Power(dBm):-33.5 -24.1 -30.6 N/A 8.3 8.0 6.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

It won't be available in my area until 2014. :mad:

I hate living in the back of beyond. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Ah now, eircom wouldn't want you going too fast. You might think they'd reasonable infrastructure or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    It won't be available in my area until 2014. :mad:

I hate living in the back of beyond. :(

Well I live in the heart of Dun Laoghaire, one of the first areas to go live. They still haven't enabled my cabinet even though the claim Dun Laoghaire was enabled months ago. Seems they did one cabinet then moved on just so they could colour in that section of the map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Sean54 wrote: »
    Eircom broadband support told me I was a 50mb profile even though I ordered 70mb, I am about 50m from the VDSL cabinet.

Broadband support said they would upgrade my profile but have`nt done it yet.
    My neighbor has Vodafone broadband and is getting 70mb

Link Uptime: 2 days: 13 hours: 13 minutes
    Line Rate: 15.417 Mbps 50.268 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 15.359 Mbps 50.170 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 14.7 dB 20.6 dB
    Actual Delay: 7 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: -22.7 dBm 12.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -27.0 dBm 6.4 dBm
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 29.637 Mbps 110.656 Mbps
    Line Attenuation(dB): 1.3 4.9 5.8 N/A 3.6 7.5 11.1
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 1.3 4.5 4.9 N/A 3.7 7.5 11.1
    SNR Margin(dB): 14.8 14.8 14.6 N/A 20.6 20.6 20.6
    Transmit Power(dBm):-33.5 -24.1 -30.6 N/A 8.3 8.0 6.8

attainables are not the max your line can take... if you increase the line speed the attainables go down... more voltage = more resistance.

but yes your line looks like it is able for 70mb down 20mb up as long as the snr margins remain 8.0db or better

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sean54

attainables are not the max your line can take... if you increase the line speed the attainables go down... more voltage = more resistance.

but yes your line looks like it is able for 70mb down 20mb up as long as the snr margins remain 8.0db or better

Link Uptime: 0 day: 2 hours: 26 minutes
    Line Rate: 20.542 Mbps 71.812 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 71.672 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 10.8 dB 12.4 dB
    Actual Delay: 7 ms 7 ms
    Transmit Power: -22.2 dBm 12.4 dBm
    Receive Power: -26.5 dBm 6.1 dBm
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 29.473 Mbps 109.264 Mbps
    Line Attenuation(dB): 1.4 4.9 5.7 N/A 3.6 7.5 11.2
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 1.4 4.4 5.2 N/A 3.6 7.5 11.2
    SNR Margin(dB): 10.9 10.9 10.8 N/A 12.4 12.4 12.4
    Transmit Power(dBm):-32.8 -23.6 -30.6 N/A 8.0 7.5 7.2

Eircom support changed my profile this morning. On the speed test I am getting 67Mb Down & 17Mb up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's why they call it "up to". there are very few broadband providers that can give you the maximum speeds they advertise in the majority of cases, particularly with DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

vibe666 wrote: »
    that's why they call it "up to". there are very few broadband providers that can give you the maximum speeds they advertise in the majority of cases, particularly with DSL.
    Yup. Also Unlimited and Totally Unlimited are 2 completely different things. One of them is a shameless lie, the other - still a reason to doublecheck T&Cs just in case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They won't sell you the 70mbit/s service if you're located beyond X meters from the cabinet.
    Even ordering online it just greys the option out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nsouth

More Voltage=more resistance ? poor old Georg Ohm is turning in his grave :)

Anyway I got efiber with 50meg profile but the engineer showed me 70meg with 20 up all clean with no errors, checked router and there it was 70 ish down and 20ish up I was delighted (but wondering if my new eircom bill was going to reflect this) however when speed testing (averaging over 10 tests) I was only getting 27meg down and and 9 up with the highest being 34 and lowest being 16 I said I would give it a few weeks or so before I got on the blower but then my profile was changed to the 50meg bundle. Now I am getting 46-47 megs rock solid down with 13meg rock solid up.....go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nsouth

gctest50 wrote: »
    Necessary faster

Jesus wept, I was happy with my 50 meg now I have a bad case of bandwidth envy :) make you wonder what kind of backhaul they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ah you'd be waiting foreveer with only 2gigs, its the 40gig you want

Published: 12 Jul 2007 11:07 CET

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19832184/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What would you even do with 2gig? For any individual user I don't see how you'd get any use out that kinda speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

siblers wrote: »
    What would you even do with 2gig? For any individual user I don't see how you'd get any use out that kinda speed.

put up antenna and resell it to rural areas, probably.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

siblers wrote: »

ive got just over 8meg and while it's not exactly the fastest internet ever, it's not the worst but hopefully someday will eventually get beyond DSL speeds. Would love to get FTTC 50/70meg but I cant imagine much use for anything faster than that for the majority of uses, even the UPC people who are getting upgraded from 150 to 200meg, at those speeds i'd say that speed increase isn't even noticeable it's going so fast in the first place. Is there any website or service out there that would make use of speeds beyond 200meg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Gonzo wrote: »
    ive got just over 8meg and while it's not exactly the fastest internet ever, it's not the worst but hopefully someday will eventually get beyond DSL speeds. Would love to get FTTC 50/70meg but I cant imagine much use for anything faster than that for the majority of uses, even the UPC people who are getting upgraded from 150 to 200meg, at those speeds i'd say that speed increase isn't even noticeable it's going so fast in the first place. Is there any website or service out there that would make use of speeds beyond 200meg?

I'd be delighted with a constant 7-10meg connection, I wouldn't know what to do with myself If I had 30+. I suppose if you're in a house full of heavy users then you might have some benefit from 100+ compared to say 50 meg but otherwise I don't see much additional benefit (unless you're into major filesharing etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Is there any website or service out there that would make use of speeds beyond 200meg?

With services like Steam it has it's uses. There are multiple games now in the 25gb - 30gb range and they are only going to get bigger. Having a 200mb connection means you could download one of these games in twenty mins as opposed to an hour and twenty mins on a 50mb connection. It's not a huge deal but it is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I checked the website to see if I could get eFibre.

The map checker said "Yay your area is available now!"
    I enter my phone number into the line checker just to be sure "Yay your phone number is available now!"

I ring up Eircom "No you've to wait until the end of the month"

I do love Eircom so much.

wolfi wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I wondering, did anybody who order eFibre Ultimate (70mbit/s) actually get it?

While eircom engineer installing eFibre in my apartament, he shows me details of my phone line on his device.
    There was shown my phoneline is +/- 140m long, internet speed is set up to 50mbit/s and signal is strong enough to run 110 mbit/s, so he ask me to call customer service because it looks like 50mbit/s is set up on eircom side and need to be changed to 70mbit/s.

Eircom efibre team agent told me over phone that my line is good to run only 50mbit... WTF?
    My neighbors in apartament next to mine got 67-69mbit with Vodafone, they have exactly same phone line details except one - internet speed was set up to 70mbit/s.
    I asked this all my friends who order 70mbit/s from eircom, nobody get more than 50mbit incluging guy who lives 7m from cabinet with 30m long phoneline.
    Is eircom lying, trying to save bandwidth for upcoming tv services?

yes there is many customers getting 70mb

the tv trial customers are limited to max 50mb/16mb fixed rate profiles at the moment mainly to ensure line stabilty for the tv service trials

this will increase once vectoring is turned on

Is there any website or service out there that would make use of speeds beyond 200meg?

yes people that use vpn links will benefit from higher speeds greatly

also people who file share, or run ftp servers or teamspeak/ventrillo servers will benefit from higher speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

people will find uses for whatever speed they have. maybe not today, but if they don't have it they will never find ways of using it, that's the way technology works. you release faster broadband and what people do with it expands into the extra speed to fill the void.

i remember back in 1999 getting BT "home highway" which was a 64k ISDN service with a 'booster' to use two channels to make it 128k and i thought i was in heaven coming from dialup, lol. :pac:

then I got used to it and i was finding it slow for what i was doing with it as i discovered new things and eventually I got 512k DSL and I was in heaven all over again. :)

these days, the idea of anything less than 100mbps is my worst nightmare and i have 4G on my phone, many times faster than a DSL service i was delighted with years ago.

my point is, technology moves on and the industry either come out with things to allow the consumer to do new and exciting things faster/better, or they come out with faster speeds and the consumer finds new and interesting things to do with it.

so you might not have any idea what to do with 200mbps now, but 10 years from now you'll wonder how you ever managed with *only* 200mbps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I was on the phone to Sky a few days ago who said they'd allow me to trial their Fibre in. December.... But at the minute I'm stuck with getting 16 out of 24meg on an apparent 12meg line!

Advertisement