Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] Maynooth rental - long term

Options
  • 20-08-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Perhaps Someone could let me know if it is allowed to post an "I'm looking for a property in maynooth for a long term (5 year min) rental, For family of 5 and a dog." I wont post any further details as I'm not sure. Its for next june / july so no panic really.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

pm a mod and they will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Moonbeam wrote: »
    pm a mod and they will let you know.

Cheers Moonbeam. How do I know what MOD to Pm and what forum would be best. Is there a Maynooth forum that I can't seem to find? Thanks again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is a KIldare forum too region > East > Kildare.

The mods names are at the end of the forum page.

Forum Mods: The_Conductor, Victor

Ok thanks, Would I be able to put it up in both locations? Or is that frowned upon?

very much frowned upon

• Advertisement

Ah OK. Sorry for all the questions but where in your experience would something like this suit best? Trying to find a good quality family home in maynooth at a reasonable price seems neigh on impossible. But maybe by next year around June would be easier as the students will be leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are very few houses rented in Maynooth to professionals and families; its hugely a student house rental market while the apartments are generally not.

There are some decent houses available but quite a few are rented to visiting college professors and the like and they're also arriving around now.

Friends of mine who wanted a decent house for long-term rental got one by approaching the main letting agents in May and asking if they had clients who had still un-student-ruined houses they'd prefer to let full-time and they moved in in June. LL changed some appliances and furniture to bring the standard back up.

There are a few houses on the market for a long time,maybe it would be worth approaching the vendors and asking them are they interested in a long term let?
    When we were looking to buy here we found a shortage of decent sized 4/5 bedroom houses on the market so I can imagine how tough the rental market is.

MYOB wrote: »
    There are very few houses rented in Maynooth to professionals and families; its hugely a student house rental market whe the apartments are generall not.

There are some decent houses available but quite a few are rented to visiting college professors and the like and they're also arriving around now.

Friends of mine who wanted a decent house for long-term rental got one by approaching the main letting agents in May and asking if they had clients who had still un-student-ruined houses they'd prefer to let full-time and they moved in in June. LL changed some appliances and furniture to bring the standard back up.

Thanks MYOB, I was going to do something like that. I would know the area reasonably well and I know a few business owners in the area too. I will be putting as many ears yo the ground as possible. Also, would you happen to know the agent that your friends used? any information would be very usefull.

Moonbeam, that's a good plan too I didn't really think that anyone looking for a sale would go for that but again that's the same position we are actually in. Our house is worth less than half what we paid so no chance of a sale and we are going to rent it out until we're not loosing too much.

Thanks guys good ideas both.

Ok I have mailed the two main auctioneers in the town with the spec and details. Fingers crossed they will keep us in mind next year. I'll keep an eye on it next year too and you never know something nice may turn up :)

• Advertisement

I mentioned it to a few people for you today,I will let you know if any of them come back to me.
    Are you looking for a 4 bed?

I mentioned it to a few people for you today,I will let you know if any of them come back to me.
    Are you looking for a 4 bed?

Wow, thanks. Yes we are looking for a four bed. We are 5. Myself, Herself and three winks 13, 5 and 4. We have a dog ( non destructive) and are non smokers and don't drink either. We are very house proud and have finished our own house to a high standard so would expect and treat a long term rental with the same regard as our own home. We are ideally looking for a detached somewhere in parklands or similar with good green areas and estate spirit ( if that is a thing).
    We are looking to do the move in June / July 2014 so please keep this in mind as I wouldn't want anyone to think we would be able to do it before then.

Thanks again.

do you have school places for the kids here?
    I am an expert on 4/5 year olds and everything for them to do around the town:)

Looks like I've stumbled across the right person here Moonbeam. We have enrolled the two littlest ones in the ETS (Doubt they will get it) and we have enrolled them in the respective boy's and girl's schools on either side of pound lane. Our eldest will be going into the secondary on moyglare road and I have already been speaking to the principal re enrollment. We're way ahead of time on them apparently, but I want to make it as smooth as possible of a transition for the whole family.

I am even willing to take a house a month earlier than we can move up so if required I can paint or clean / move in so literally just pick up the kids on the last day of school and go. We are originally from Leixlip but there isn't any where near to the level of amenities and services available there as there is in Maynooth. Plus the housing stock available in Maynooth seems to be of a better standard. We would hope to be able to buy In Maynooth eventually but until we shift our current house we are going to be in the rental space. My OH is going to be doing her CPA when we get to Maynooth so we should be a lot more comfortable in saving for a purchase when this is completed. Just hopefully the housing marked doesn't explode like before and we can actually think about affording a property there.

In your opinion where would be the areas to avoid. I have seen on the student mega thread that there is a number of estates that they wouldn't go near as they are a "bit rough". Personally I thought that Maynooth was a very nice area and there wasn't any where near the messing that goes on in Leixlip. Is there a list of clubs for the kids anywhere on boards that may be useful I.E karate, dance, gymnastics, boxing and athletics. We are a fairly active family. Thanks

There's a few estates that are quite heavily student and those ones would be the ones that the students (ironically enough) would see as being a bit rough. There are effectively no suitable rentals for you in them to begin with, so that's not an issue.

There are no space issues in the boys or girls school,I think they still have spaces for Sept.

It depends on your budget and where you want to be.

eg Moyglare is nice but would never have been an option for us.
    I did not want to live near students.
    We needed to be 10 minutes from the Gaelscoil and the train.
    It is late now but I will give you my opinion tomorrow:)

Cool, Thanks guys. So would park lands be the best bet for us? We were also looking at Pebble hill. But it seems to be quite a small estate with few children when we went up. We didn't really like the university side of the town I.E. out the clane road. ( no offense to anyone there) Our budget would be 1500 pm max. We would obviously want to pay less than this. I had seen two houses in Park lands earlier in the year that were both sub 1200. This would really be an ideal price for us as it would leave extra cash for activities and to save for out new trailer tent :D

Parklands,Pebble Hill and Rockfield are all lovely.

I had never heard of rock field, I'll keep an eye out for there too. What are the new estates like further up the celbridge road I think they are called griffen rath? They seem to be newer but they have lots of mixed housing i.e apartmets 2, 3, 4 and 5 bed houses also. I wouldnt imagine that they are all familys I.E very child friendly. You would probably have a lot of people who bought thinking they could flip their appartment to a house in a few years but are now trapped in their appartments. I have friends in similar situations and their lives are just on hold.

Every day that goes by its a bit closer and with the kiddies starting back to school next week the time will just fly by. Thankfully my eldest got his bus ticket too so we wont have to drop him and collect him from school. This makes life a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Moyglare abbey is a very family friendly estate too. Lived there for several years

• Advertisement

Grifin Rath is also lovely.

In the older estates Maynooth Park(beside xtra vision and the chippers) and around there is nice too.Very few students.

Grifin Rath is also lovely.

In the older estates Maynooth Park(beside xtra vision and the chippers) and around there is nice too.Very few students.

Are you trying to boost your house price there? :pac:

There's more students in this development (Maynooth Park/Greenfield Drive/Straffan Way/Lawrence Avenue) than some of the newer estates but there's still a lot of owner occupiers including a few from day 1, e.g. my neighbours bought in 1972 and are still there.

Its the 1980s/90s estates in the triangle between the Straffan Road and Rathcoffey Road that have the highest % of student rentals.

I hear rumours we have 2 students living on our road or did have but that is about it.
    There are 3 rented houses here and a lot of elderly neighbours.

I have not really noticed many students in the other 3 estates or heard any complaints about them...yet.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the zombie thread revival, We have been very busy bunnies since the last post. We have now cleared almost all loans and were toying with the idea Of purchasing. Now with our current negative equity approx 75 - 85k depending on the weather, we have been crunching the numbers and had an off the record conversation with the bank. They seem to be of the mind that we could take our negative equity on our tracker rate and get an additional 190 - 200K of a new mortgage. Obviously this will not go very far in Maynooth as we will require a 4 bed or to but a house with room to extend pretty soon after purchase. Ideally we would be looking to spend sub 180k (ideally 165 - 170k) thus leaving some leeway for a loan to get the extension / renovation done.

We have found a property in College green that would fall into out range at present and also has room to the side to build an extension. I have also seen other houses in the area that have been extended in the manner that I would do it also. I don't thing planning would be a major issue.

So to my question....

What is College green like? Nice estate? good people?

Thanks and apologies again i didn't want to have to go through the whole explanation again...

College Green houses are slightly older (not sure exactly when though). Only issue I've ever heard of is occasionally kids hanging around the alleyways to the shops and along the side of the some of the houses in Cluain Aoibhinn. Someone who lives that side of town might turn up though.

Getting planning for an extension isn't hard in Maynooth - remember there's an allowable size without needing permission too.

Cheers MYOB, I would be thinking a garage with a room over and possibly utility room to rear. I would say I'll need planning. But having street viewed the estate I can see that several people have done similar already so I can't see their being a major issue bar neighbors. We cant wait to start this new chapter in our home story. Going to get house valued in new year too and book with bank after that to work out numbers.

Advertisement