Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercising puppy

• 20-08-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I have an 11-12 week old lab and he had his first walk over the weekend. I had read online that 5 minutes per month of age per day is all you should do but I asked 3 different vets and they said that it's fine to bring him for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day, once it's not too exerting and he gets plenty of rest in between.
    Also, we have about ten steps leading from the back door to the garden which he happily climbs up and down when he needs to do his business in the garden. I just read that I shouldn't be letting him climb these? It's bad for his joints?
    Again, the vets disagree with this. I know I should be putting my faith in the opinions of different vets as opposed to strangers on the net but I just wanted some opinions. Are a lot of people just over protective?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Sorry but your vets are very wrong on this. Labs are a heavy enough breed as they grow and suffer greatly from a lot of joint problems. Stick to the 5 minutes per month rule. There is a huge difference between walking a pup for 15minutes straight and playing with him in the garden off lead for 15mins, pups have a tendency to do their best to keep up when walking whereas with playing in the garden he can start and stop as he pleases. So I would be rather annoyed by any vet who didn't warn me of this. For a breed with such an array of joint issues, I'm very surprised you weren't warned about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

But would 3 different vets be wrong? It seems bizarre to take your word over theirs. Did a vet tell you about the 5 minute rule or did you read about it online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

robocode wrote: »
    But would 3 different vets be wrong? It seems bizarre to take your word over theirs. Did a vet tell you about the 5 minute rule or did you read about it online?

I would personally follow the 5 minute rule as well, especially in this case, Labs have such massive joint issues you really cannot be too careful, with a lab I would not be taking the chance. Different people vets, dog trainers, nutritionist, behaviourists, normal dog owners are always going to have different opinions when it comes everything dog related. If you feel that you should trust the vets then do so, like I said everyone will have a differing opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did you go to 3 different vet practices, or 3 vets in the same practice?

3 vets in the same practice. I was just reading about it on another forum and it really seems to divide people, those who stick to it, those who think it's a load of rubbish. We're next to the beach so at 12 weeks of age I'm sure 15-20 minutes on sand would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Steps will aggravate an underlying genetic issue. Exercise not so much - evidence shows that up until 3 months old daily exercise results in less issues.. Data here. Excess calcium in their diet is a significant contributor to issues such as Hip Dysplasia, for example.

The 5 minute rule is generally accepted as erring on the side of caution. As your vet mentioned and provided the pup is well rested between periods then exercising for 15 mins at a time for a 3 month old dog is fine. Steps though, can increase the risk. Safer to avoid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I have read conflicting information online. Some says 5min rule per month of age, don't exercise too much their bones are still soft and developing, whereas other information says that the exercise is actually good for their bone development and helps strengthen them.

My Mal puppy is 5mths now and i could not do only 25min of exercise with him a day. He would be going absoloutely mental. We do anywhere between 3 - 5 km most days. 5km would take us about 90min as he's not exactly fast and likes to sit down and wait for people when he sees them coming so he can get a pat...and this happens a lot!

When i saw him tearing around with an 8mth old golden retriever for about 3hrs straight, i realised if he could do that, then he could cope with longer, gentle walks. The play would put a lot more stress and strain on the joints and bones with the sudden stopping, starting, changing direction and wrestling.

However i don't let him do stairs at all and try to avoid jumping at all costs.

That's just my opinion and thoughts and others may disagree.

I'll limit the steps so. He has been climbing them for about 2 weeks, I assume that's not long enough to damage him once I avoid them from now on? Do they need to be avoided all together or limited? My girlfriend would have a much tougher time carrying him up the steps than me so it might be an issue for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

robocode wrote: »
    I'll limit the steps so. He has been climbing them for about 2 weeks, I assume that's not long enough to damage him once I avoid them from now on? Do they need to be avoided all together or limited? My girlfriend would have a much tougher time carrying him up the steps than me so it might be an issue for her.

If he's genetically liable to HD it may aggravate the issue, if he isn't then it wont have much effect. Impossible for us to say if any damage has been caused tbh, anecdotally though I'd say 2 weeks isn't a significant period of time unless hes is up and down them a hell of a lot. Once he is older he can go up and down them fine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I think they need to be limited more when they are younger. However i don't have outdoor steps, only inside and i'd be worried about him having wet feet and slipping down the stairs (no carpet) etc, thus doing a lot more damage. Plus my cats safe territory is now upstairs, so if Cooper never learns to climb the stairs, both the cat and I will be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mel.b wrote: »
    I have read conflicting information online. Some says 5min rule per month of age, don't exercise too much their bones are still soft and developing, whereas other information says that the exercise is actually good for their bone development and helps strengthen them.

My Mal puppy is 5mths now and i could not do only 25min of exercise with him a day. He would be going absoloutely mental. We do anywhere between 3 - 5 km most days. 5km would take us about 90min as he's not exactly fast and likes to sit down and wait for people when he sees them coming so he can get a pat...and this happens a lot!

When i saw him tearing around with an 8mth old golden retriever for about 3hrs straight, i realised if he could do that, then he could cope with longer, gentle walks. The play would put a lot more stress and strain on the joints and bones with the sudden stopping, starting, changing direction and wrestling.

However i don't let him do stairs at all and try to avoid jumping at all costs.

That's just my opinion and thoughts and others may disagree.

Just be very careful here - a dog won't always show they're in pain - especially if there's a chance of them having fun! My dog has had both his back legs surgically straightened - so cut apart and the 2 bone ends held with pins and plates and a gap between them.. He would have happily tried to run around on his broken leg if I had of let him for the 12 weeks he was restrcited.

For me personally I'll be sticking to the rule with my pup - been there, done that with joint issues and not taking any chances. We live 5 mins from the park so walk there and she can play for as long as she wants on the grass then back home, but no long walks until she's older.

There's plenty ways to exhaust a dog without walking the legs off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I'm a member of Our Beagle World forums and many users follow the 5mins per month of age rule as well. I'm quite sure that it is stated/recommended on the American Kanine Club page

Do you have a link? I can't find where it says this.

Advertisement