Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurants in Dublin that won't break the bank?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hello,

I've been in Dublin for a while now, and I noticed a variety of restaurants from different parts of the world.

Which ones would you recommend and what dishes?

I am not looking for anything specific, but I would like to taste the local cuisines (as in, a Taiwanese dish in a Taiwanese restaurant :) )

I'm planning to go to a restaurant once a week, but that depends on the budget/suggested locations :)

My budget is 120 euros monthly (could be broken down into 20ish for once a week, or 60ish for twice a month etc.)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved from Food & Drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

What constitutes 'break the bank'?

For you it could be €40 for a 3 course; for me it could be €20. Too vague a description OP.

I'd suggest a 3 course for < €25 pp as being a good parameter for price -v- quality.

With that in mind; Le Bon Crubeen on Talbot St is quite good in my experience at €21 for the early bird (vacate table by 7.30) and €25 for the set dinner anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

Updated the post with the price limit, your suggestion is great, will definitely try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Really like Mao - the five spice chicken is delicious. Reasonably priced.

For really fancy the pearl brasserie do an early bird for less than 25 euro. Delicious if you like the limited early bird menu.

Saba - Vietnamese and Thai food.

Montys of Kathmandu - over budget I reckon tho.

The Mongolian BBQ in temple bar is interesting too.

Best thing is to google the recommendations and have a look at prices and menus and see what suits. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I really like the Hop House on Parnell Street - I've no idea what "real" Korean food is like, but I love the korean food here. It's nice and relaxed, especially if you're on your own, being able to eat in the pub side is helpful. http://www.hophouse.ie/
    Very good value, most main dishes are around 13-15.

I've heard very good things about Dhaba too http://www.dhaba.ie/

Even just wander around Parnell Street, Capel Street (vietnamese, sushi) and Mary Street and you should find some good "ethnic" restaurants.

I was in Whitefriar Grill recently and really enjoyed the night there, it was a Wednesday and there was a great vibe about the place http://www.whitefriargrill.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Ten Thousand on Liffey Street, great sushi place, and I particularly like Yamamori Izikaya on George's Street, a little more expensive but they do great sushi and Japanese tapas.

Tanté Zoe's on Crow Street is one of my favourite places, well it used to be anyway, haven't been there for a while. They do Cajun/Creole food, it is a bit expensive but pop in for an early bird. You might wanna check what days they open on though, it's been sporadic for a while.

Khatmandu Kitchen on Dame Street, Nepalese food. Possibly the nicest staff ever. Again might wanna try for the early bird though, but even if you go later it's expensivish but definitely worth it.

PHX Bistro on Ellis Quay is very nice too and they do decent deals too.

Best thing I can recommend is to sign up to grabone.ie, I get great meal deals there all the time ( of the €18-20 for two main courses and a glass of wine each variety), and end up finding out about places I didn't know too. Generally would go for dinner once or twice a week and haven't actually paid full price for a meal in about six months.

Wow, lots of great replies, thank you very much! :) Thanks for the link to grabone.ie, will definitely sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I wouldn't rate Saba or Mao as being particularly authentic (although mao has gotten better), and if you search Tante Zoe's on boards there's a long list of recently unhappy customers.

Here's a few places I like that should all fit in your price range:

Vietnamese: Pho Viet on Parnell St - get the pho special, and the fresh (not fried) spring rolls, or the vietnamese pancake. Aobaba on Capel st is also pretty good.

Szechuan: M&L on Cathedral St - the Lamb with Cumin (not on the menu), and the green beans with chilli

Korean: I second Hop House, also Hi Lan on Capel St which also does Korean bbq - get the lamb skewers (they take 20 minutes but are totally worth it)

Malaysian: Nyonya on Dame St - try rendang (beef curry) or any of the fried noodles, or just anything really!

Greek: Corfu on Parliament St - I haven't been there for dinner, but their lunch was great.

YumCha wrote: »
    and if you search Tante Zoe's on boards there's a long list of recently unhappy customers.

Jes*s, that's shocking to read. It used to be such a great restaraunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Brazilian - Sabor Brazil - bit out of your price range though, myabe one month you could go here only! It's well worth it :) But if you want a truly authentic experience...they have a deal going at the moment, normally €200 for 2 people, €99 now https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/818966-seven-course-brazilian-tasting-menu-for-two?show_missed=true&temp_skip_roadblock=1&utm_campaign=130858&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=awin

Chinese - M & L on Cathedral St

Indian - Diwali on George's st (3 course set menu €24.99)

Italian - Il Vicoletto, Crow St (all night set menu for €25.90 3 courses)

Thai - Koh (great value pre-theatre 3 course meal €20)

Lebanese - Cedar Tree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I like Hilan on Capel Street, mixture of Chinese and Korean food! Good World on Georges Street is really nice as well! They have a Dim Sum menu!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

I really like the Hop House on Parnell Street - I've no idea what "real" Korean food is like, but I love the korean food here. It's nice and relaxed, especially if you're on your own, being able to eat in the pub side is helpful. http://www.hophouse.ie/
    Very good value, most main dishes are around 13-15.

Even just wander around Parnell Street, Capel Street (vietnamese, sushi) and Mary Street and you should find some good "ethnic" restaurants.
    Vietnamese: Pho Viet on Parnell St - get the pho special, and the fresh (not fried) spring rolls, or the vietnamese pancake. Aobaba on Capel st is also pretty good.

Hop House Korean food isn't that close to the real thing, but it's a great eatery nonetheless. Good variety, good prices, and you can have a pint of Korean beer or plum wine with your dinner, if you fancy.

Both of ye are on the button regarding Parnell Street, though; Asian food of all varieties, big portions and good flavour, and very easy on the pockets.
    Jes*s, that's shocking to read. It used to be such a great restaraunt.

I used to be a regular to Tante Zoes, at least 3 times every 2 months or so, and have never ever ever had a problem; the food has always been great, the service excellent, and the atmosphere wonderful.
    Szechuan: M&L on Cathedral St - the Lamb with Cumin (not on the menu), and the green beans with chilli

Lamb and cumin isn't really Szechuan, it's more Xinjiang (muslim Chinese cuisine). Still epic tasty, though, if it's done right :) Probably explains why it's not on the menu. Still, good on ya for rooting it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Lorenzo the Magnificent

The Whitefriar Grill has some good midweek specials and the food is lovely.

Musashi on Capel Street is decent for Japanese food, is a BYO place and certainly won't break the bank. You'll need to book at the weekends.

Great suggestions, I'll start visiting these places from next week onwards :)!

Actually, was in the Foggy the other day and noticed Tante Zoes is completely closed now. Menus taken down from outside and a to let sign.

Real damn shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Wagamamas do a great 3 course menu for €20 during the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Wagamamas do a great 3 course menu for €20 during the week!

Must check this out, haven't been there in yonks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you don't mind a little bus ride out of town as far as the wooden bridge in Clontarf, Kinara's early bird (5-8 Mon-Thurs) is phenomenal value.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Was in the Porthouse Southwilliam St earlier today -delicious tapas and a great lunch deal of two for a tenner including a drink. Have never been disappointed by the grub here!

http://porthouse.ie/index.php/menu/menu-rapido/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

emilyjmc wrote: »
    Was in the Porthouse Southwilliam St earlier today -delicious tapas and a great lunch deal of two for a tenner including a drink. Have never been disappointed by the grub here!

Tenner? Bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

emilyjmc wrote: »

Bar Pintxo in Temple Bar is owned by the same people as Porthouse - same menu and all. I wonder are the ingredients and chefs better in Porthouse because the last 3 times I've eaten in Pintxo it's been awful. I kept giving it another chance because I used to love it but given up on it now. Cheap meat, small portions, bland dishes, frozen ingredients, too much oil, just not good at all.

Salamanca on Andrew's Street does much nicer tapas and their 3 for €16.95 menu is really good value, especially considering the generous portion sizes. If you book through menupages, everyone at your table gets a free glass of Cava, and if you choose the €16.95 menu you can get a glass of house wine for €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I agree with Salamanca, their 16.95 menu is excellent value.

For fine dining on the cheap try Les Freres Jacques on Dame Street next door to the Olympia. It is classic French cooking and they do a two course early bird for €20 and 3 course for €25, both are a bargain for what you get.
    http://www.lesfreresjacques.com/early-bird.html

I've noticed recently some restaurants scaling back on their early bird offerings. Saba don't seem to have an early bird menu at all and the Green Hen only runs it Sunday to Thursday, a few other restaurants are like that too or else raising prices from where they were 12 months ago.

There still lots of deals on the usual deals sites for restaurants around Dublin, only thing is they're usually not restaurants you are particularly dying to eat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I agree with Salamanca, their 16.95 menu is excellent value.

For fine dining on the cheap try Les Freres Jacques on Dame Street next door to the Olympia. It is classic French cooking and they do a two course early bird for €20 and 3 course for €25, both are a bargain for what you get.
    http://www.lesfreresjacques.com/early-bird.html

I've noticed recently some restaurants scaling back on their early bird offerings. Saba don't seem to have an early bird menu at all and the Green Hen only runs it Sunday to Thursday, a few other restaurants are like that too or else raising prices from where they were 12 months ago.

There still lots of deals on the usual deals sites for restaurants around Dublin, only thing is they're usually not restaurants you are particularly dying to eat in.

Saba has a 2 course menu for €22.95 from Sunday to Wednesday but they used to have a much better one, they've scaled it back a bit which is a pity. It's always busy in there so maybe they don't really need a good wary bird/set menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Le Bon Crubeen on Talbot St. €25 for 3 courses every night from 5pm all night.

French food http://www.leboncrubeen.ie/index.html

Great food, nice atmosphere and a bargain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Blingy wrote: »
    Really like Mao - the five spice chicken is delicious. Reasonably priced.

Often wonder why anybody would name a restaurant after one of the most bloodthirsty dictators of modern times.

Imagine calling a restaurant Hitler's...(fights urge to make jokes :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Been a regular at PHX bistro since getting a grabone deal there a couple of years ago.
    Yesterday we had the lunch menu, three courses for 16.95 and each of them excellent, it's never busy
    unfortunately as it's off the beaten path a bit but hopefully more people will discover this hidden gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Went to San Lorenzo's on Georges street last week. Have to say it was delicious. They've got a lot of excellent reviews for their weekend brunch which I've yet to try but dinner was superb. The three courses that we both got were delicious. Highlights for the o/h was the dark chocolate meringue and I got the special pasta with pork mince. Will definately be back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Diwali do some great deals on lunches & early birds.
    Hilan for Chinese/Korean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

spurious wrote: »
    If you don't mind a little bus ride out of town as far as the wooden bridge in Clontarf, Kinara's early bird (5-8 Mon-Thurs) is phenomenal value.

How much us it website not giving prices?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hootanany wrote: »
    How much us it website not giving prices?

Haven't been there in a couple of months, but it used to be €19.95.

**edit
    Hmm, seems they are now calling it a 'Pre Theatre Viking Menu', limited the availability days wise and it's €24.95.
    Unless they have left it off the site. It really was very good value, maybe they were losing on it?

Advertisement