Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nose picking baby!

Options
  • 20-08-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

My one year old is fond of sticking his finger into little holes he can find, his favourite is his nose... and then finger in the mouth.

It's only myself, husband or mil minding him and we've all enough cop on not to do it (if we do :D) in front of him. He's not been around other kids to pick it up.

I can only think that he just discovered this perfectly finger shaped hole to rummage in.

When he does it we pull the finger out but doesn't seem to deter him.
    Don't want to give him a complex or anything, just want to nip the habit in the bud.

Any tricks you used on your toddlers? Or just leave him to it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My little girl went through the same thing at about 17 months. Initially I told her to stop, but she thought that was funny so did it all the more, so I just ignored it and she eventually stopped. We have had no nose picking for 2.5 months now (she's 20.5 months) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

My little one went through that stage too. I just left her to it, tbh, and it didn't develop into a long term habit. I don't have the energy to fight everything so I pick my battles and nose picking is one of the things I could live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter done this a few times recently. She is around other kids a lot . 5, 6 and 8 year old cousins so chances are that's where she discovered it.
    I would just say ah ah.
    But on one particular occasion while I was quesy with morning sickness she started doing it (she had a runny nose too ) so you can imagine what happened. I started to retch and ended up telling her no ah ah and retching . I think I may have frightened her out of it as it hasn't happened since. (not that I've seen anyway. )
    God I nearly retched thinking of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

My little does it too. Most recently she's been putting her dinner in her nose - mashed potatoes the other day. Apparently it's great for building up a resistance to viruses etc. though if that's any consolation to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

my 16 month old is at it as we speak, however, she sticks both fingers up her nose and does a dance. We have started to ignore her in the hope she will stop, because when we pull her fingers out and say "dirty" she just laughs her ass off and keeps doing it.

I guess they have just discovered their nostrils!!! Shes getting fond of her ear holes too..

oh the joys!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Put some mint oil or some other equally strong smelling (& harmless) liquid onto his fingers. He'll quickly associate the 'bad' smell with putting his fingers in his nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

He's generally interested in sticking his finger in any hole going (that sounds awful) and I think the nostril is just the handiest.

I think I'll leave it a few months and see if the novelty wears off. If not, then I'll start with the "ah ah"'s,

I'm just praying the novelty about holes ends before he has access to that hole which shall not be mentioned :D

Advertisement