Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College in dun laoighre

Options
  • 20-08-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Are the degrees from dun laoighre as recognised as other colleges in Dublin and is it a good college for journalism

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

There's a few colleges in Dun Laoghaire offering different levels of qualification. IADT is the Institute of Art, Design & Technology and offers Ordinary Degrees (level 7), Honours Degrees (level 8) and Masters (level 9).

It is an institute of technology just the same as DIT, Blanchardstown, Tallaght etc. and it's degrees are worth exactly the same as one from any of these.

All degrees fit in to the National Framework of Qualifications at different levels. But theoretically all degrees at a particular level are worth the same whether they are earned at an IT or university.

There's no pure journalism course though. Journalism would be part of a number of courses and a large part of the MA in Broadcast Production in Tv and Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mullingarman95

atgate wrote: »
    There's no pure journalism course though. Journalism would be part of a number of courses and a large part of the MA in Broadcast Production in Tv and Radio.
    I'm thinking of doing a course in English literature and media studies but I would like to know how this compares to media and journalism courses in Dit and dcu

Ok. Maybe one of the English, Media & Cultural Studies students can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

I've completed 2 years of EMCS. When I chose the course it's because I was interested in Journalism but didn't want to restrict myself to a strictly journalism course in case I changed my mind.

In year 1 you study:
    Modern English Literature (English lit from 1800 onwards)
    Introduction to Critical Theory (Intro to marxism, structuralism, post-structuralism, feminism etc. and the main theorists associated with those theories)
    Introduction to Cinema and Cultural Studies (film class looking at theory, then in semester 2 you do scriptwriting and create a film)
    Introduction to Media Studies (Studying the media, film, tv, news analysis etc.)
    Visual Culture (Studying and analysing images and looking at symbolism) Writing Studies (looking at plays/poetry/novels and doing some creative writing)
    Learning Journal (Learning to be good at college, how to write reviews, essays, how to reference etc)

Year 2

Critical Theory (more theories and more in depth study, group project)
    Film Studies (studying older films, auteur theory and genre)
    Political Economy and Globalisation (politics, looking at international globalisation of industry and effects on culture)
    19th Century Literature (studying texts from the 19th Century like Dickens), Popular Cultures (Studying popular culture) ,
    Writing Project (creative in 1st term writing stories and poetry, news in the 2nd term studying news, and creating your own news show)

There's not a huge amount of journalistic writing in it but it will give you an excellent basis in politics, understanding media, pop culture etc. to go on to become a journalist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement