Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long are you off the analogs?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I've been vaping since early May, between now and then I think I did 3 or 4 week long stretches without one but never gave it up properly, I have very generous friends so it makes it that much more difficult. Today however is day 10 and I am determined to stop altogether this time, I have found that I crave a cig but when I have it I don't want it, it makes me feel sick and tastes disgusting. Had a serious craving this morning but it was either go up to someone on the street and ask for a smoke or battle it out, I of course did the latter, thank god I had no one with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Off them since start of Feb. Must admit I have had no cravings at all apart from when I tried lower nic liquids. Once I stick to 18 or 20mg juice I'm all good. My wife still smokes and I have no problem even with her puffing away.

FYI..I was a 30 a day roll-up man for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I was off them for about 4 days a month ago but a family member brought me 200 B+H back from holidays so I ended up smoking my way through them.

Haven't had one now since Saturday and I'm not really getting any cravings, going through about 2ml of 12mg juice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭banger01

November 15th 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'm not sure, but at least 2 years now. Probably close to 3. I've had the odd smoke when I've gone out drinking, but rarely enough. When I did I only smoked half and then threw it away cos it's gross. E-cigs are better in every way. I get a much better throat hit with electronics, I find analogs to be too weak and unsatisfying!

I'm at the point now that whenever I smell someone smoking it turns my stomach. I've become one of those people who won't allow others to smoke in their house because I can smell the stale odour of smoke for days afterwards. Can't believe I ever smoked tbh.

In the future, people will look back and wonder how people in our day and age smoked. It stinks, costs a ridiculous amount of money, makes you age rapidly, makes you feel like crap all the time and, worst of all, results in slow painful deaths and all manner of other illnesses and ailments both short term and long term. And we know all these things yet do it anyway. Complete insanity.

That said, I do really enjoy nicotine, so it amazes me every day that there is a much safer, cleaner and odourless alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭atsbury

I decided last Friday that it was time to Ditch the smokes! Been smoking around 20 odd years, mostly roll yer own type thing! Went down to the "smoke free ireland" pop up shop in Tesco on Friday morning last, where I picked up two Ego electronic cigarettes. Thought I'd give them a go. I got the amber leaf 24mg fluid to start my vaping experience. Haven't smoked since! Delighted with my self! All thanks to vaping! I know that's giving me my nicotene intake, that's fine! Better being addicted to vaping, as opposed to sucking in up to 4000 chemical from tobacco! Gotta say, the e cig is the best thing I've ever bought! Love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

I cannot smoke fags anymore without wanting to vomit. That said, I had an expensive cigar after a big meal a few weeks ago, was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

In the eight months since I've stopped I feel like I've regained the health I should've had over the last eighteen years of my life, which was sabotaged by an absolutely disgusting addiction.
    Thank you e-cigarette inventor person, whoever you are, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I got my ego t on the 14th of january this yr, finished my pack of smokes and on the 15th jan went full time vaping. I decided i would not put pressure on myself and left the door open for me to buy smokes if I needed to, thankfully I didnt need to.
    I did have a panic one morning on my way to work recently when I realised I had brought the wrong sized spare battery. I started to worry that I would buy a box of smokes and when that thought came into my head my stomach churned. Good result!

I had been smoking since I was about 12, heavy smoker at times. I had tried lots ofways to give up, some where successful for a while others not successful for even a day. Last yr I had tried the cig alike e cigs but I never stopped smoking while using them and eventually gave up.

When I got my ego t i settled on a tobacco vape but quickly changed to fruity ones and I think for me this helped me stay off the smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

I vape since ca May 2012, never looked back. Not out of breath anymore. Dont stink anymore. Feel healthier in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Vaping over 8 months now.hate the smell of cigs now,disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Had a serious craving this morning but it was either go up to someone on the street and ask for a smoke or battle it out, I of course did the latter, thank god I had no one with me.
    What strength is the juice that you've been vaping?

I'm on my 5th month of vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

hUTkink.png

Wish I knew where that 3k went, I could use a new PC...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Off them since Jan 9th. Never thought I'd get near this far tbh. Without vaping, not a hope in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

been vaping since the first week of september last year and put all the money i've saved towards a new car.

i've never actually added up the full figure of what all those years of smoking cost - think i'd probably keel over in shock/shame/guilt/anger. :eek::o:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ben36

I'll be hitting 9 months in a couple of weeks:eek:.From a 40 a day smoker who tried everything to quit and failed,vaping has changed my life.Not to mention the health benefits i set up a savings account with the money it use to cost me on smokes.I have nearly 5k saved.It sickens me to think of the money i wasted through smoking over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

579 days. I've spent far more than I used to on rollies, about 3-4 times as much. I'm extremely jealous of former pack-smokers for what they've gained in monies.

Doesn't help that I never sell shít. "But what if I use it for...And I might need this so I can..."

Hoarding's a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Since May 2011 for me
    sig1832.png

I know where some of that €7K saved has gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Where do you get those lil calculators ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Middle of last November. So instead of €60 a week, I now spend about about €45 a month

1352833200_20_1_EUR_8_default.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

2 months now totally off :)

First day I picked up my pv was the last day I had one :)

Have not got a craving yet, even while drinking due to excessive vaping

I can actually say I vape probably 100% more than I eve me smoked but I'm still happy

I hate the smell of them now and can remember the taste being way worse than my much loved vanilla

Vaping has become a bit of an addiction now with all the gear if have bought but its fun, it's no longer a case of gagging for a 'fag' and rushing to the shop

It's about getting it right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Vaping since 7th Jan, gave up mid-pack. Not had ( or wanted ) a smoke since. Thanks to all here :)
    No need to go outside any-more to smoke.
    Vape at my desk in work, at the bar watching the footie.
    Converted three others so far.
    Life is better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

June 2012. Had a few (about 10-12 in total) since then but just don't like them anymore. They taste horrible now. Reckon the one I had last February will be the last one I ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Since Christmas so ~9 months.

Like Grindle above I've spent far more on vaping than I used to on analogs (about a fiver a week on rollies with the odd box of cigarettes thrown at the weekend). It's been a major expense for me!:o

I keep thinking "that's it now I've loads to keep me going" but then a device stops working (or I lose it somewhere) and I need to buy something else. Currently my only PV is a sigelei 19b which depends on a 2c coin wrapped in insulating tape to function. The other night I had to solder a broken UDT-L with a piece of SS cable and a blowtorch. I'm still in shock that it worked.

That said I feel way fitter this year and hangovers aren't half as bad.

Maybe I'll try using some willpower and give up nicotine/vaping altogether, the amount of time and money I'd save...:cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

9 weeks today and I can honestly say if it wasn't for the help given here and on Facebook I would probably be still smoking. The vaping world is completely new to me and thank you to all who have shared their knowledge. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

?banner=2194

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Jesus eeloe... 10 grand?!? Sher you'd start a new business with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Centauri19

I am 6 months smoke-free today!! I have not had a single cigarette in that time!!!

Financially as a former 20-30 a day smoker, I had saved a significant amount of money (no idea where its gone though!!!!) and I have spent about €600 on various different bits and bobs over that time as opposed to €3.5ishK I would have spent of cigarettes.

My running costs (bar buying new toys) are €15 a week in juice (need to attempt brewing my own), as I now rebuild my coils/wicks but still buy replacement heads for my dripper pro (as have not go into R/NR building yet).

Overall I am delighted, I no longer smoke cigarettes, I have a new hobby which doesn't cost the earth and I have no want for a cigarette as I am getting my nic fix from a medium which is working for me (unlike previous attempts with gum and patches)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

40 a day smoker (well 25 a day smoker with 15 burnouts). Would have been a year in august if not for a return to the fags during a very stressful month of July. At the end of this month I'll have not smoked for 12 months though the last month not consecutive if you get me.

My sig says it all really. My savings have been swallowed by bills and a further downturn in business though so its not like I now have a ton of money to blow.

Advertisement