Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI Afterburner Limits

Options
  • 20-08-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy All,

I decided to have a go at over clocking my GPU, which is a sapphire hd7970. Benchmarked using heaven settings below at stock.
    268198.PNG
    268200.PNG

Started increasing the core clock at regular intervals (and benchmarking in heaven), until i got to the top of the slider bar in MSI after burner (pic attached). The same with memory. No artefacts or anything funny that i noticed, didnt mess with the voltage. Is it possible to increase the clocks further? Is there some setting im missing in Afterburner to unlock higher clock frequencies? Have the fan on auto, temps topping out at around 80 degree.
    268199.PNG
    268197.PNG

Going to run Valley now to see if there is anything showing up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Here is a pic of the settings of mine.

I've a sapphire 7970 too and AB allows me to go much further up on the sliders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

game4it70 wrote: »
    Here is a pic of the settings of mine.

I've a sapphire 7970 too and AB allows me to go much further up on the sliders.
    Cheers for that - it was the pretty obvious "Extend official overclocking limits" setting!

What do you have yours at?

I am water so i normally run at 1200/1700 but just reinstalled windows so i dont have the profiles i used for volts.
    Highest i got for a run of 3dmark 11 was 1300/1803.

My card has coil whine so i tend not to run it oc'ed unless playing bf3.

Yeah, after playing around for a bit the best it can do without messing with voltages is 1125/1575.

The core has more impact than the memory so i'd be looking at that with maybe a little bump in volts.
    I presume you have power limit @ 20%.

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    The core has more impact than the memory so i'd be looking at that with maybe a little bump in volts.
    I presume you have power limit @ 20%.

Nope, played around with voltage and the power limit but couldnt get a huge amount more on the core clock (started noticing atrefacts in heaven) so i just returned the voltage/power setting to stock and left it at 1125. Might give it a go tomorrow again.

The power limit can be put up to plus 20 if needed as its like "wattage control".
    It lets the card draw more power if needed when OC'ing.

Imo its safe to use as even CCC lets you do it and is recommended in guides i read when the cards came out.

Advertisement