Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility bills after leaving property

Options
  • 20-08-2013 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hello,

I would like to ask a question regarding the utility bills to be shared in a house. I lived with 2 other guys for 6 months and we didn't have a lease in the house, which means I could leave at anytime I wanted. I left the house in the 18th of june and on 1st of july the eletricity bill arrived covering the period from 2 months time (up to 1st of july). I agreed to pay the bill, however I didn't agree to pay after 18th of june, as I was not living in the house and I was not using anything from there any longer. Is it correct that my flatmates charge me for the period I moved out onward?
    Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did you take meter readings when you moved out?

I think you will have to pay at least something. You agreed to share the bills. The cost of electricity for two people in a property is substantially more than two thirds of the cost of three people. Additionally, you will only be making the saving over 12 days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Personally I would just split it the 3 ways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you took a meter reading at the start of the billing period and another on the date you moved out then you should be able to calculate your portion of the bill. If you didn't then any other apportionment is arbitrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What kind of arrangement did you have with the other tenants? Did you all agree to share together for a period of time, or did you all rent rooms seperately and just ended up together for this period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rickcv

Hi victor,

I ended up paying the full amount of my part even not being in the house anymore and even after the new tenant was in my place. I always agreed to pay the bill, as I was in the house for the period of the reading but not the full amount.
    Anyway, I just wanted to make sure how I should proceed in similar cases. Thanks.
    Victor wrote: »
    Did you take meter readings when you moved out?

I think you will have to pay at least something. You agreed to share the bills. The cost of electricity for two people in a property is substantially more than two thirds of the cost of three people. Additionally, you will only be making the saving over 12 days.

• Advertisement

We got the house together but we never had an agreement in case someone leaves the house. We always paid the full amount of the bill, as we were in the house the full month time.

djimi wrote: »
    What kind of arrangement did you have with the other tenants? Did you all agree to share together for a period of time, or did you all rent rooms seperately and just ended up together for this period?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

rickcv wrote: »
    I ended up paying the full amount of my part even not being in the house anymore and even after the new tenant was in my place.

Ah, you didn't mention a new tenant - I just assumed you moved out mid-month leaving them in the lurch.

From the 18 of june until 28 of june, I was not in the house and the room was empty. On the 28th of june, I rented my room to another tenant and I received my deposit back. My rent was always on 11th of every month, and i paid the full amount of the rent, until 11 of july. I didn't leave them in a lurch. I gave notice to my landlord, 30 days before, just to make it formal, and i put someone in my place before the due date of the next rent payment.

Advertisement