Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies

Options
  • 20-08-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello,

I'm interested in doing one of the Diplomas in Journalism and Media Studies that are available in Dublin at the moment. From what I've found out so far there are three very similar courses out there:

1) DBS - Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies (starts 30th Sept, runs until April 2014, Cost: €1,990, two classes per week and 6 Saturdays)

2) CMI (Communications and Management Institute) - Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies (starts 8th Oct, runs until April 2014, Cost: €1,650, one class per week)

3) Independent College - Diploma in Journalism (starts 7th Oct, runs until April 2014, Cost: €1,650, one class per week)

All three award the diploma through the ICM (Institute of Commercial Management) so there seems to be no differentiation between the outcome of each course. The difference is that DBS is more expensive although you have way more classes with them. The content of each course appears to be virtually indentical.

So I'm trying to figure out which is best. There's not much point asking each institution as obviously they will promote their own course in order to get you to do it.

Would anybody on this forum have experience of doing any of these courses and can let me know what it is like?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

It depends on the level of the course and duration
    If your just interested or to get a feeling for the subject then ICM courses are good - it is a pity they arent integrated better into the NFQ levels www.nfq.ie where it could be a stepping stone to degree or other qualifications, it is good to have the FETEC awards for this -
    A number of other schools and colleges offer Journalism courses
    City Colleges do a short ICM course
    Rathmines College do a full time Certificate in Journalism and PR
    Ballyfermot do a number of Media courses which are very good full time
    Other PLC colleges have options which may be worth a look

Advertisement