Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies

Options
  • 20-08-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello,

I'm interested in doing one of the Diplomas in Journalism and Media Studies that are available in Dublin at the moment. From what I've found out so far there are three very similar courses out there:

1) DBS - Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies (starts 30th Sept, runs until April 2014, Cost: €1,990, two classes per week and 6 Saturdays)

2) CMI (Communications and Management Institute) - Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies (starts 8th Oct, runs until April 2014, Cost: €1,650, one class per week)

3) Independent College - Diploma in Journalism (starts 7th Oct, runs until April 2014, Cost: €1,650, one class per week)

All three award the diploma through the ICM (Institute of Commercial Management) so there seems to be no differentiation between the outcome of each course. The difference is that DBS is more expensive although you have way more classes with them. The content of each course appears to be virtually indentical.

So I'm trying to figure out which is best. There's not much point asking each institution as obviously they will promote their own course in order to get you to do it.

Would anybody on this forum have experience of doing any of these courses and can let me know what it is like?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

tri3 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm interested in doing one of the Diplomas in Journalism and Media Studies that are available in Dublin at the moment. From what I've found out so far there are three very similar courses out there:

1) DBS - Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies (starts 30th Sept, runs until April 2014, Cost: €1,990, two classes per week and 6 Saturdays)

2) CMI (Communications and Management Institute) - Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies (starts 8th Oct, runs until April 2014, Cost: €1,650, one class per week)

3) Independent College - Diploma in Journalism (starts 7th Oct, runs until April 2014, Cost: €1,650, one class per week)

All three award the diploma through the ICM (Institute of Commercial Management) so there seems to be no differentiation between the outcome of each course. The difference is that DBS is more expensive although you have way more classes with them. The content of each course appears to be virtually indentical.

So I'm trying to figure out which is best. There's not much point asking each institution as obviously they will promote their own course in order to get you to do it.

Would anybody on this forum have experience of doing any of these courses and can let me know what it is like?

Thanks in advance.

If you already have a degree, you're better off doing a postgrad in journalism, somewhere like DCU or Griffith College.

But for this racket, there's nothing better than real experience. Just start submitting articles to the papers and mags; get your name in there, and take the feedback you get. I did a postgrad in journalism in Griffith College and whilst it was good it wasn't groundbreaking. It'd only be good if you're considering getting into TV or radio journalism or production.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 miryan

I'm leaning towards the Independent College Course now to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tri3

I'm also leaning towards the Independent College course but I'm beginning to worry that the diploma is not worth the paper it's written on from what I'm hearing. And €1,650 is a lot of money!

I do want to get into journalism full time (trying to change career from accountancy) but I can't afford to study full time in the likes of DCU or DIT as I need to keep working to pay my bills. So what else can you do apart from a course like this?

When you need to continue working full time the amount of choice is limited from what I can see!
    You may have the natural knack of writing as it is tri3 so maybe you should just start writing pieces & sending them off to various papers/journals??? Personally I know that I won't structure my time well enough on my own to get myself kick started on this, and so would be doing a diploma like this to get just this.... and surely it is better to build contact with 4 currently working journalists (& hopefully other contacts) and know the "ground rules" than nothing at all?? As you say €1650 is a lot of money.... but hello Direct Debit :) I work full time in Science, and so this is also a new departure for me.
    Theres an open evening tomorrow from 5-7pm that I'm thinking of attending.... what about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tri3

miryan wrote: »
    When you need to continue working full time the amount of choice is limited from what I can see!
    You may have the natural knack of writing as it is tri3 so maybe you should just start writing pieces & sending them off to various papers/journals??? Personally I know that I won't structure my time well enough on my own to get myself kick started on this, and so would be doing a diploma like this to get just this.... and surely it is better to build contact with 4 currently working journalists (& hopefully other contacts) and know the "ground rules" than nothing at all?? As you say €1650 is a lot of money.... but hello Direct Debit :) I work full time in Science, and so this is also a new departure for me.
    Theres an open evening tomorrow from 5-7pm that I'm thinking of attending.... what about you?

I won't be able to attend that open evening as I'll be working. Let me know how you get on if you attend.

As for direct debit, that's not possible with the Independent College course as you have to pay the full amount before the first class. I think DBS are a bit better in that you can spread it out in a couple of instalments up to November but that course is more expensive (€1,990).

• Advertisement

I will indeed let you know! Re payment, I had an email from them yesterday outlining 3 options (as below). If DD, you can pay up until end Feb. DBS, is full payment before 1st class.

1. Payment in full at time of booking

2. Payment of booking deposit - €300 and balance of fees in full before course commencement

3. Payment of booking deposit - €300 and balance of fees by instalment – to avail of this you need to fill in our direct debit instruction and payment plan and return to us with original signatures (please find attached documents)

Advertisement