Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savoury Rice recipe?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Hi gang

I'm making barbecue chicken tonight and I'm doing a nice salad with it, but I'd love to make my own savoury rice to accompany it.
    I used to use the packets of savoury rice but I'd really like to make my own.
    I've got:
    -Rice
    -Celery
    -Peppers (green & red)
    -Carrots
    -Onions
    -Garlic
    -Peas

I've also got lots of herbs and spices, curry powder etc.

Anything I could do with that lot or do you have a recipe for me?
    Ideally would love this recipe before 7pm!
    Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Dice celery, onion and peppers and soften in butter in a saucepan with a lid that will fit the rice. Add garlic when everything is softened and stir it around for a few minutes. Add in the rice and stir so it gets all buttery and delicious for a few minutes. Then add twice the volume of water to rice, salt, a small bay leaf if you have one, bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on until the rice absorbs the water. Take it off the heat, add the peas, put the lid back on and leave it a few minutes. Season again, check for taste and away you go. A splash of soy would be nice, and maybe some tabasco. It'll keep warm in the pot for ages, or in a low oven with a tin foil cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

emaleth wrote: »
    Dice celery, onion and peppers and soften in butter in a saucepan with a lid that will fit the rice. Add garlic when everything is softened and stir it around for a few minutes. Add in the rice and stir so it gets all buttery and delicious for a few minutes. Then add twice the volume of water to rice, salt, a small bay leaf if you have one, bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on until the rice absorbs the water. Take it off the heat, add the peas, put the lid back on and leave it a few minutes. Season again, check for taste and away you go. A splash of soy would be nice, and maybe some tabasco. It'll keep warm in the pot for ages, or in a low oven with a tin foil cover.

Sounds delicious!
    Thanks a lot!

Advertisement