Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding fish oils to cat's diet

• 20-08-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a good product containing Omega 3 that is easily added to a cat's diet. I have tried the pump of fish oils, but unfortunately my cat does not like the taste of these. Also I read somewhere that capsules are better than liquid as preservatives are added to the liquid and it can become rancid. Unfortunately kitty does not like a different taste added to her food.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I had good success with this product from Lintbells, on wet food. You only need to add a tiny amount and the smell probably isn't as strong as 100% fish oil.

http://www.lintbells.com/products/yumega-cat

Failing that, tinned sardines are a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids, so you could try her with a sardine once or twice a week instead of a regular meal - not the ones in sunflower oil though. Ones in brine or tomato sauce would be perfect, just rinse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Interesting link, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I must try that Boomerang, I've tried salmon oil in the past and they wouldn't eat it. For a while they'd eat half a raw salmon darne a week between the 2 of them but now they aren't interested. Felix and Jazzy loved tinned wild red Alaskan salmon, Toby won't eat it but has a bit of tuna in spring water.

Found a good Omega 3 supplement on Holland and Barrett's online store. Has 1000mg Fish Oil, and the right amount of EPA and DHA. Comes in capsules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

angeline wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good product containing Omega 3 that is easily added to a cat's diet.

Angeline what do you normally feed your cats? I generally never butt in on nutrition threads as I'm normally the one learning from them :pac: but why do you feel you need to supplement with the Omegas (especially 3) in your cats diet?

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    Angeline what do you normally feed your cats? I generally never butt in on nutrition threads as I'm normally the one learning from them :pac: but why do you feel you need to supplement with the Omegas (especially 3) in your cats diet?

I feed my kitty Royal Canin nuts and Royal Canin wet food. The vet advised to supplement her food with essential fatty acids. Omega 3 is very good for dry skin problems and dermatitis which she has at the moment as it acts as an anti-inflammatory. It is also meant to boost the immune system (prob not proven yet). She didn't like the veterinary products so did a bit of research myself!

Advertisement