Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 - Full Time Student - Rent Supplement

Options
  • 20-08-2013 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,

I'm new :).

I'm 25, a full time student receiving BTEA and i'm living in the family home commuting to college daily.

Will i be accepted for social housing by my local housing authority based on my current circumstances?

Circumstances are,

1. The house is crowded. Parents ,two younger brothers and me. 5 Adults in a 4 bedroom house. I have a single room.

2. 25, full time student and also unemployed, receiving BTEA and SUSI grant for student fees.

What i have to do is apply for social housing. Get accepted. Apply for rent supplement. Get rent supplement. Move into single apartment. Life on track again.

What are my chances at living a stress free life while attending college?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

i think this page says that you do qualify however it will ultimately be up to the deciding officer. why not call into them and ask all they can say is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SigmundFreud

I think i have read most of the website at this stage :)

Yes i am eligible for the rent supplement. My worry is the local housing authority accepting my application for social housing. I need to be eligible before i can apply for the rent supplement.

But i don't think they take personal circumstances into consideration when assessing your housing need, no matter how complicated, stressful or dangerous it may be. Like the guy earlier suggested, they see 5 adults and 4 rooms == not crowded. And that i am single, no children and not currently on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

I think i have read most of the website at this stage :)

Yes i am eligible for the rent supplement. My worry is the local housing authority accepting my application for social housing. I need to be eligible before i can apply for the rent supplement.

But i don't think they take personal circumstances into consideration when assessing your housing need, no matter how complicated, stressful or dangerous it may be. Like the guy earlier suggested, they see 5 adults and 4 rooms == not crowded. And that i am single, no children and not currently on the street.

oopps sorry op i must have read your post too quickly. i had a look over social housing requirements and the op is right i dont think you would qualify. however there is no harm in asking? what about having a chat with citizens advice they are fantastic and will give you an honest view of what they think might happen.

good luck with everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SigmundFreud

I've already sent a pigeon.

Thanks oc.

Advertisement