Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 month old feeding routine?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My LO has just turned 9 months old and my PHN has told me to take away one of his bottles as he has turned 9 months. His routine was:

Breakfast (8-9): bottle and porridge/ cereal etc.
    Lunch (12): meat and veg
    3-4: bottle
    Dinner (5): custard or semolina etc
    Bedtime (7-8): bottle

So I've taken away his 3pm bottle the last 2 days and the poor little mite has been in such bad form. Of course I've given him snacks instead... Like a yoghurt of piece of fruit etc. but not sure if I should be doing something else. Maybe change his routine and give him an extra snack in the morning and in the afternoon... It's hard to think what I can give him aswell... Indent want to feed him too much. He's a big boy (11.5kg).... Amd it just seems that by cutting his bottle I'm just constantly feeding him solids.

Would really appreciate any advice or opinions and also any of the routines you use with your 9 month old LOs!

Sorry for the long post. Thanks :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Personally I would give him back the bottle, he seems like he stll needs it. Try again in a month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Give him back the bottle. I go with what the baby wants. As his solids increase you'll find there's one bottle they dont finish. I start by having that bottle and then cut it out

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I would give him back the bottle and try weaning him off it in another few weeks? He's sounds like he still needs it and its no harm to him.
    When you try again, make up a smaller bottle and give it to him after a snack? And them maybe move it into a sippy cup....that will take away the comfort factor of it.
    PHN is just a guide, every baby is different x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thank you for the replies. Maybe I will give him back his bottle. Would still be interested to know any feeding routines for this age group from other parents. It's so difficult to know what to do when it's your first and when all you wanna do is to do it right :-)

I'm the same, always wondering if I am doing right! Ok, here is my routine with my 8.5 month old. He about 22 pounds....

7.15 - 8oz bottle
    8.30 cereal and milk, bit of toast
    10.30 - yoghurt
    1pm - dinner, mashed meat, veg or something like an ellas pouch
    3pm - fruit pot
    5.30 - tea - usually an ellas pouch (for 7 mths +) and some finger food after like rice cakes
    7.30 - 8oz bottle

On the weekends when I'm off, I add more finger food to his main meals like bits of veg and pasta to teach him to feed himself. Some snacks might be Liga or the like. And he drinks prune juice mixed with water throughout the day.
    Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I'm the same, always wondering if I am doing right! Ok, here is my routine with my 8.5 month old. He about 22 pounds....

7.15 - 8oz bottle
    8.30 cereal and milk, bit of toast
    10.30 - yoghurt
    1pm - dinner, mashed meat, veg or something like an ellas pouch
    3pm - fruit pot
    5.30 - tea - usually an ellas pouch (for 7 mths +) and some finger food after like rice cakes
    7.30 - 8oz bottle

On the weekends when I'm off, I add more finger food to his main meals like bits of veg and pasta to teach him to feed himself. Some snacks might be Liga or the like. And he drinks prune juice mixed with water throughout the day.
    Hope this helps!

Ah thanks so much. Yea your routine is kinda where I want to get to with my LO. I think I will try give him a snack mid morning and again mid avo. If hes still upset I think I'll just give him his bottle back and take it away gradually.
    Thanks again x

I agonized over this for ages, am I giving him enough, too much etc....
    Keep it simple - you know him better than anyone and will know if he is hungry. Just follow your gut and take your time. If he wants the bottle, give it to him.
    He's a fine weight so you're obviously doing a great job so far, keep following that mammy intuition! ;)

Advertisement