Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South America - 6 months

• 20-08-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey guys,

Looking at going to South America for 5 and a bit months. Thinking 1 week in Venezuela, 2wks in Colombia, 1wk in the Galapagos Islands, 3 weeks in Peru, 2 weeks in Bolivia, 1 week in Chile and around 6 weeks in Brazil and Argentina. Does that sound reasonable to see everywhere properly and not moving around too fast?

Budgeting 60 euro per day average (not including return flights). Does 2000 euro per month sound ok staying in hostels, doing a few tours and going out etc?

Any must not miss highlights like Machu Picchu?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

I would drop some of the countries. It's not a race to see everything. South America is huge and plans will change as you go along too.

I'd about 1000 per month and it was nicely enough, hostels and typical budget travelling.

Highlights? Colca Canyon trek in Peru, all of Bolivia, Buenos Aires and San Pedro in Chile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Hey guys,

Looking at going to South America for 5 and a bit months. Thinking 1 week in Venezuela, 2wks in Colombia, 1wk in the Galapagos Islands, 3 weeks in Peru, 2 weeks in Bolivia, 1 week in Chile and around 6 weeks in Brazil and Argentina. Does that sound reasonable to see everywhere properly and not moving around too fast?

Budgeting 60 euro per day average (not including return flights). Does 2000 euro per month sound ok staying in hostels, doing a few tours and going out etc?

Thanks!

That sounds almost identical to my trip of about 6 years ago! Except I spent 7 months and only got to see Sao Paulo and Rio in Brazil as I ran out of time and money. Do not over-estimate distances and how exhausted you'll be travelling all the time. I wish I'd spent less time in Venezuela, Ecuador and wouldn't bother with Uruguay and Paraguay again. More time needed in Colombia, Chile and obviously Brazil. Also because I wasn't in a rush I spent a lot of time chilling out in Buenos Aires and Tierre del Fuego as it was Christmas time.

My trip was:
    Venezuela - 2 weeks
    Colombia - 3 weeks
    Ecuador 2.5 weeks (incl 1 week on Galpagos)
    Peru - 4 weeks
    Bolivia - 1 week
    Chile - 4 weeks (incl 5 days on Easter Island)
    Argentina - 6 weeks (incl 10 days in Antarctica)
    Uruguay - 1 week
    Paraguay - 1 week
    Brazil - 3 weeks

Really can't comment on prices as my trip was so long ago but I spent €10,000on everything - all international flights, vaccinations, all tours, food, accommodation etc. Brazil and Argentina/Chile are expensive. Colombia and Bolivia very cheap.

What are your interests? I would consider the highlights in each country to be the following (my bias would be towards archaeological sites and scenic landscapes)
    Venezuela - Angel Falls
    Colombia - Cartagena and beaches around it, Ciudad Perdida,
    Ecuador - Galpagos Islands
    Peru - Machu Pichu and other Inca sites like Ollanytambo, Nazca lines, Arequipa ice maiden, Chan chan site
    Bolivia - Lake Titicaca, Salt Flats
    Chile - Easter Island, Torre del Paine National Park, Navimag ferry (may not be running any more though)
    Argentina - Tierre del Fuego, Mendoza wineries, Buenos Aires, Igauzu Falls, San Ignacio Jesuit ruins
    Brazil - Pantanal, Rio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

book macchu pichu early!! the passes go very quickly, the company we went with (peru treks) show what dates are available in future months and you'll see for yourself how quickly they go (http://www.perutreks.com/inca_trail_to_machu_picchu.html). as the other posters said don't rush, make a list of the things you really want to do and everything else is a bonus. and take into consideration that buses and trains can be cancelled at the drop of a hat so give yourself a bit of leeway in case your travel plans are disrupted. if you book early enough and you're prepared to fly early then some of the flights with LAN are reasonable and can save you a lot of travelling time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Just to point out that if you want to do the Inca Trek to MP you definitely need to book early but you can also get the train or bus there as well if you don't want to do the trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Hey guys,

Thanks!

2000 will be plenty in the likes of Colombia, Ecuador and Bolivia, Argentina is more expensive but Brazil is the most expensive of the lot.

If you are going to the galapagos you need to factor in the flights and trip which will set you back 1000 for one week and thats with the cheapest boat trip (highly worth it though).

Personally i'd cut down the number of countries.... and spend more time in each....

My highlights....
    Argentina - Buenos Aries, Iguazu Falls, Salta (did white wate rafting here)
    Bolivia - Beautiful country.... Salt flats tour is a must... I loved La Paz also.
    Peru - Machu Pichu, Lake titicaca, Mancora (great seaside town)
    Colombia - Santa Marta (scuba diving), valle de cocora (amazing scenery)
    Ecuador - Cotopaxi Park, very scenic with Volcano you can climlb, Puerto Lopez - small seaside town where you can go Whale watching (and you're gauranteed to see them).
    Brazil - didnt see much of it but obviously Rio, Isla Granda and paradise on earth trindade :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement