Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Papers - Folens dropped out

• 20-08-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Just discovered Folens will not be printing exam papers this year.
    For those who don't remember, back in 2010/11 educate.ie started selling exam papers at €2.50 online (€4 in store) putting them well ahead of folens and edco's €5/€6/€7.
    The following year, folens also dropped their price to €2.30 online (€4 instore). Edco dropped, but generally not more than a euro.

Folens annoucenment is here

Although educate.ie don't have the 2013 ones on their website, from their twitter account is seems they will be printing them.

Edco have confirmed on their site they will be printing.

No point of this thread really, was just a bit shocked by their move and would guess most people aren't aware yet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I think I'll get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

Edco have confirmed on their site they will be printing.

I went off folens papers a few years back when they printed some of their papers on cheap brown-bag style paper.

Nice to see some competition in the market though. I noticed that Edco printed their papers very early this year too. I saw them nearly 2 weeks ago in Easons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Now that I think about it, I've never(literally) seen anyone using Folens exam papers.

I've always seen Edco papers around the school before 2011 but never Folens. I remember when I did the JC in 2011, first year of educate.ie and we got them for 8 out of 9 subjects, the other one was History and the teacher insisted on Edco. The 6th years last year used all educate.ie I think.

I need Edco for an extra subject that educate.ie don't print but other than that I think most teachers will recommend educate.ie again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I had one exam paper from folens last year, the rest edco. My folens one tore, twisted and bent into the most ridiculous state ever, wheras the edco ones didnt wear at all.

Just a minor thing really but it irritated me no end, not to mention the cd pocket falling asunder by day 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

edco was so much better anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC Paddy

educate just brought their papers out on their website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

My dad decided to get mostly Folens on the cheap.
    There's a reason they're cheaper than Edco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Do you really need paper versions of these anymore anyway. Can't you just pull them up on your computer or smartphone whenever you need them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Do you really need paper versions of these anymore anyway. Can't you just pull them up on your computer or smartphone whenever you need them?

Cant really see a teacher letting 30 odd students pull out their phones in class :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Unfortunately ebooks for education are still in its early days. Most teachers won't have students use laptops or phones in class, in fact we're not allowed to have laptops at all in school. I know some won't mind a few people doing it but smartphones are kind of restrictive too, always having to zoom in/out, pan over from the question to the diagram etc.

I have solutions to my Physics, Applied Maths and a lot of Project Maths on my phone and it's a pain to go through them in school when I'm stuck. Mind you, it would be a lot easier if it was a tablet. But I can't really bring a tablet to school - unless of course, the school allowed and encouraged their use in class.

Hopefully schools will facilitate them better over the next few years and they'll become more popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Points taken. Paper it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I would imagine folens got caught very badly last year with the project maths papers. They were so late out that I don't think many school got them at all. January if I remember correctly. And they would have had to pay people to write those papers as opposed to just printing past papers

Advertisement